Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Using personal experiences outside of the game as a basis for numbers is not a good idea.
I think I can shed some light on this subject with the help of everyone's favorite website --IGN (sarcasm.)

I remember a podcast on IGN within the past year where they were talking about the 5 online games with the highest percentage of female players. The highest was CoD, which was 20% female. I think the other online games were WoW, Dota 2, LoL, and one game I forgot. Obviously that implies less than 20% of WoW players are female. And yeah, they were quoting a statistic of some kind, not just pulling it out of their ass (but I don't blame you if you don't believe me, lol.)

Honestly I'd agree with that number. Around 10%-20% seems about right.

Consider Mass Effect for a second. Only 20% of players bothered with a female Shepard, and there's quite a good number of women who would not bother with female Shepard but plenty of guys who would.

EDIT: Speaking of IGN, as much we all universally loathe them I've got to show them a bit of respect since they're about the only major gaming site that has switched to doing other stuff to maintain relevant.

Last edited:

It's starting to look interesting...

...and to not be too optimistic.

Last edited:
I would really like to know where you get that 30% figure from. If you were talking 10-20% I'd agree ( lower then 10% in Europe by the way ).

On the idea of meeting and dating a gamer girl, I'd agree fully. I've got the same problem as you do however and long distance is generally a no-go for many people.

It's a rough estimate based on MMO-Champion posters. There is a thread where people post pictures of themselves and a lot of the posters were female (most were pretty hot too). Also, each year more and more girls go to Blizzcon.

I don't quite get the Brianna Wu thing. What's the significance of Brad Wardell and Brianna Wu having discourse?

Last edited:
@Finnway I don't know either, and in fact I don't care too much. The thing is Anti-GG is pissed and hunts Wu now.... and I'm like "Sure, go ahead".

BTW... Good to know that San Francisco is as blind as ever.
[video=youtube;sgry-0LE0y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgry-0LE0y4[/video]

First and last vid on this chanel watched by me.

Meanwhile...

Of course someone was so upset about it that google deleted it already.
Proof: Here

Last edited:
I would love to meet and even date a gamer girl. Sadly, there aren't that many in my country.

Why? "Gamer girls" are nothing special. They're just women who happen to play video games. They piss, shit, fart and burp all the same if you get what I mean.

As someone who dated 3 different "gamer girls" I can tell you that there is no real benefit to your girlfriend being a "gamer girl". If anything, playing games with my girlfriend often caused more controversy and petty fights than anything else. Competing with your own girlfriend in a video game can go from being really fun to being really damaging to your relationship super fast without you realizing it.

If anything, I prefer to date women who don't play video games, or only play casually. And if they do play video games on a regular basis, then I don't want to play with them together, at least not beyond a casual Smash Bros match or a round of Mario Kart 8.

Last edited:
@Damariel Alunnar So she is taking the Sarkesian route and going independent? I guess that's a good thing. Maybe Leigh and her rabid following will stay off of traditional gaming sites so we can put these Anti-GG, "progressivist" writers in an internet closet where everyone will forget they exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom