Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

• Total voters

A simple question, is game journalism unfit for purpose?

As with any other form of journalism, game journalism should strive to inform and constructively criticise the games industry from an objective viewpoint, or as near as that is actually possible considering personal bias. It should try and move the industry forward, challenge degenerate practises and give us the buying public, without which there would be no industry, a voice and an unbiased view. And of course as with any journalism it should maintain integrity, and a certain professional distance from the subject matter it is supposedly judging impassionately.

It does not do this by and large, it hypes games, it provides PR for upcoming titles, sometimes simply issues the information that publishers want released. No criticism, no questions and certainly no raising previous failures and the customers viewpoint. There is not enough scepticism, criticism or logical reasoned questioning.

Bad journalism: Nathan Greyson sleeping with developers, IGN reporters appearing in games that their firm will be reviewing (and then giving a score of 9.5 out of 10,) The Escapist giving Dragon Age 2 10 out of 10 despite this being a clear degeneration of the series, Kotaku (obviously,) the Dorito Pope emphasisng that he has been bought and paid for by corporate interests.

The list goes on, they are in a symbiotic relationship with publishers and developers, that serves their own interests not ours. Then they have the gall to lecture us on ethics and moral responsibility, like we are children that need educating by their supposed wisdom, when their integrity has been bought and paid for like the whores they are. No sorry whores are more honest and useful.

Good journalism: Eric Kain of the New York Times retracting a piece he wrote that specualted on the critics of Dragon Age 2 being only motivated by homophobia, which was a ridiculous claim as Dragon Age 2 was a clear degeneration in every respect from its predecessor, with worse gameplay, less features and content, poor writing, a ridiculous concept and all together no redeeming features for anybody with taste.

Totalbiscuit in the following video:

So what are your thoughts? Does gaming jounalism cater to you and provide you with unbiased, objective criticism and a legitimate push to improve the industry or is it simply a mouthpiece of the industry, that peddles clickbait articles and rides whatever outrage is currently fashionable? Or does it lie somewhere in between?

I really do not bother with game journalism. Nor with any other form of journalism for that matter.

This is mainly because of one reason. Where there is money, there are people who are willing to sacrifice their integrity to get it. For their own reasons, I do not judge them.

I'm not saying that everyone is corrupt, and that we are all doomed, I'm saying that there are a lot of "corrupt" Journalists. Maybe the majority of them.

And this will continue to be so, for many years to come. Maybe forever. But let's not get into a political discussion.

So I guess that, each and every one of us, should be able to recognize "money-hunters" from real journalists. And judge what they are saying accordingly. There is nobody going to take our hand and hold it so that we know who wants to make a fool out of us. It is up to us as an individual. I don't really see a way out of this situation any time soon. Kind of pessimistic really, but yea..

I have to say that, there are both "good" and "bad" journalists. I have a feeling though, that as gaming continues to grow, we will start having more of the latter.

Also, the update on the sig.. perfect.

Cheers Bloth.

:cheers:

Last edited:
A poll by Bloth, I already knew my choice before reading the options. I am however completely apathetic regarding game journalism. Don't read it, don't care. But I know it's BAD, and there's nothing I can do about it.

DA and TES will continue to score 9's, but this world of darkness is so out of my reach I don't give a damn about it. For all I care it can continue to rot in its own filth until it devours itself.

I stopped caring about so called "journalists" long ago. They've consistently shown themselves to be obsessed with money and, in the case of IGN, outright vicious to indie developers. They've also been regularly accused of accepting bribes from big companies in order to up their scores and to insult their competition. In other words I don't trust them at all. Don't get me started on the journos on YouTube.

Gaming journalism, just like mainstream journalism, is corrupt, lacks any form of integrity and is obsolete.

Thankfully, due to the power of the internet and places like YouTube, Vimeo, online forums, we have our alternative options to get news.

Got Expeditions: Conquistador and Shadowrun on strength of your reviews Volsung, though i've not yet played the latter. Makes me wonder whether we should have a forum members detailed game review thread, or just leave our thoughts in General Gaming?

Great idea. I try not to spam personal reviews at General Gaming, but not all games have or even need dedicated threads. That's one reason why I started the thread on classic adventure games. Playing Classic RPG's has been one of my favorite threads for this reason as well.

Normally I won't "review" a game everybody already played, instead I try to talk about games I'd recommend. I suppose for now we could post anywhere and eventually start dedicated game threads if they become popular.

Ideas?

Not only is it corrupt, self-serving, un-informative, and a lot of times incorrect, but it's gotten so damned big.

It's part of the internet pie that everyone wants a piece of. Too many places with shit "journalism". The giants of gaming journalism often tube feed the masses with garbage that aren't reviews or anything important for those all important clicks. Then there's the absolute social justice sites that make themselves look like morons, Kotaku and RPS. Seems like any game in their eyes are mysoginistic, sexist, racist and so on.

I hate to put it like this because of poeple's jobs(granted almost all of them are douches) but the bubble needs to burst. I get my reviews from actually doing my own research, friends, my online friends here, and sometimes a risk.

The few bits I read anymore almost always come from either Eurogamer(which is the lesser evil of all the big guys) and sometimes Huff Post.

I am wary of both gamers and journalists and I don't believe one is either 100% good or bad. Gamers tend to be biased bandwagoners who provide only superficial criticism while a great majority of the journalists are pretty shady...like the Dorito pope. When deciding whether to get a game I study BOTH the opinion of gamers and journalists, find out why they believe what they do in the first place THEN I use my brain and make my own opinion. Both are good and bad for different reasons.

Even IGN can be good http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/shovel-knight-review . What I've noticed is that if games that are more obscure or don't have such a big budget get trashed or praised by a big website then it's often true. It's when a big game is involved when you have to be cautious. You really can;t say that the makers of Shovel Knight bribed IGN and I thought their review of the game was fair, insightful and hopeful for the indie scene.

Even so, the only person whose opinion I always respect and I always trust completely is TotalBiscuit. He is without a doubt one of the most balanced gamers out there.

Last edited:
Thread isn't about gamers criticism, though I admit fanboys who try and defend devs who make shit games, lap up any news thrown to them joyfully and cry that they're having viewpoints forced upon them if they hear any criticism are pathetic. It's about whether journalists are representing our interests, retaining journalistic integrity, remaining independent of the industry they're trying to criticise, and striving at all costs to remain objective and free of bias.

If anything what you say about IGNorant is more damning not less, it's the top selling and high profile cases that should exercise the most objectivity and highest principles. Not a small indy project. But then again when an industry is largely ungoverned and makes no real effort to divorce itself from its subject matter, then one cannot expect it to follow professional guidelines or ethical behaviour. There is no oversight and the customers are easily dismissed as trolls and haters, because game journalists have no respect for their audience and do not even try to represent them, thus why we see them criticising and preaching at their readership.

If I were an editor i'd be ashamed to print most of the content I see bandied about as game journalism, certainly can't say that it's serving me well, in fact i'd say it's alienating me.

The Escapist giving Dragon Age 2 10 out of 10 despite this being a clear degeneration of the series
Isn't that example of being bias? For me Dragon Age was a huge disappointment and I think that some things were done better in DA2 But if I were to write "objective" review of DA2 I would have to hide my opinion and conform to the general view. I'm not saying that The Escepist's review of Dragon Age 2 was good. However i think that pointing out examples of bad Journalism isn't that easy.

Isn't that example of being bias? For me Dragon Age was a huge disappointment and I think that some things were done better in DA2 But if I were to write "objective" review of DA2 I would have to hide my opinion and conform to the general view. I'm not saying that The Escepist's review of Dragon Age 2 was good. However i think that pointing out examples of bad Journalism isn't that easy.

No not really, objectively it was far worse. Fewer companions, who you couldn't even speak with when you wanted to. Couldn't armour those companions even though they were wearing street clothing and less into combat. Lazy re-use of assets at an outrageous and frankly insulting level. The brain numbing pop a cooldown combat now had finishers removed, and had been exaggerated to appeal to the childish sensibilities of the lowest common denominator. The boring grey unreactive city of Kirkwall, whose citizens were of laughably low texture and who you could walk through. The vomit inducing absolutely terrible art direction that was a significant step down from the mediocre appearance of the first game. The over exaggerated arms and armour got even worse, somebodies definitely compensating. The nonsensical illogical plot and narrative. The one note caricature companions who did nothing for years at a time, except come and go at your bidding for no reason whatsoever. The pathetic main plot device being a simplistic McGuffin, weilded by a villain who was another caricature. The central Mage vs Templar conflict being childishly simplistic and over ephasised. No true human or reasonable motivation in the entire game. Hawke himself being an idle loser, who cannot pursue an investigation himself, try and forge his own power base or act independently, but simply serves as a homicidal errand boy for the plot. The enemies spawning from all directions and places, even if it made no sense, lazy design again, and then assaulting you in endless waves of the boring grinding. Those enemies being placed every ten feet throughout the gameworld, far more than there are citizens of Kirkwall. I could go on...

I know we're supposed to tread lightly and be subjective and never have an opinion or say anything is shit when it clearly is, but the truth is DA2 was crap and if we want better games we've got to stop excusing shit, demand quality and that sequels build on their previous iterations rather than streamline and feature strip for a more accessible experience. We've had twenty years of decline because of that attitude, time we asked for and got more.

DA2 was so bad EA gave away Mass Effect 2 in compensation, a slightly less generic corridor shooter with cartoonish interactions. ME 2 was more fun than DA2, but that's not saying much. I got two games for the price of one and still feel robbed. I wish reviewers had the balls to say that, but then again it is likely reviewers actually like these games. And this is why they should be ignored.

Last edited:
@Blothulfur
Objectively you are writing about very subjective things. I can't enjoy DA because of it's generic plot, uninteresting characters and boring "tactical" combat. In DA2 i saw improvement in each of those areas. Observing conflict between mages and templars is for me more interesting than killing a dragon. Fast and flashy combat is better than poorly executed tactical combat and cartoony companions are better than blank stereotypes. As I said it's all subjective. You can completely disagree with me. Possibly you are voicing the opinion of the majority here. But just because of that You can't claim that reviewers who just like me liked DA2 did a bad job. Some of them might have been influenced in one way or another but I'm sure that some of them really liked this game and ultimately review is a subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Gaming journalism suffers from the same miasma affecting all "commentary" nowadays: Self-loathing young blowhards who've confused blogging with reporting and analysis.

They can crap out some half-baked essay and get lots of likes or comments, or else lots of internet hate- which does just as much to feed their egos. They're embarrassed to be working in the entertainment industry, so they have to pretend they're doing something to better humanity because entertaining people isn't enough. Hence why we get all sorts of dreary, finger-wagging stuff like this:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

Top Bottom