Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Which means that out of gamers (however they define it), half are women. The whole subject isn't relevant for non gamers.

Obviously not. My mother is not and never has been "A Gamer", but has purchased many games for me - as a child (when gaming was first moving from arcades to the home), and as occasional gifts more recently... also partners (though they play some 'flash games' occasionally so would probably be "Gamers" by a loose definition.

I imagine that most games bought for minors are purchased by parents, and more commonly this falls to women ~ if only because many single parent families are female parent predominantly because of many factors including court biases.

The conclusions I got out of is that it shows there's a need for a wide diversity of types of games, to suit different gamers. So the activists should stop saying that our games need to change, or they should also campaign for Candy Crush to be modified to more-closely resemble CoD.

There's already an extremely wide variety of games out, they just choose to ignore that.

Edit:

If you want something to get rid of that nonsense Sarkeesian video from your recent memory, watch this. It isn't about gaming specifically, but it talks about how men are objectified same as women, and why it's really not different in it of itself, but why women respond to it differently. You can apply this to gaming and why it's not sexist for men in games to mostly be seen doing things and dressed, and why the women doing things or not are less dressed and more provocative. What women and men see as "sexually appealing" is simply different, and if we were like women, women in games would look more like our male heroes do, but both are being made to be sexually objectified, not just the women.

[video=youtube;d-N9daqANcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-N9daqANcw[/video]

You really didn't need to see this to know what she's saying is true, but sometimes a little dose of common sense is direly needed and refreshing.

Last edited:
With regards to women gaming. Read this: https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...ion-age-9-and-older-currently-plays-pc-games/

That's the NPD figures. Note their categories. Heavy Core play more then 5 hours, Light Core less then 5 hours, and Casual even less then that. PER WEEK.

Do note the study mentions that both Heavy Core and Light Core are mostly men while Casuals are mostly women.

Some of the games link to GOG (Planescape), while others that are available on GOG (Theme Hospital, SimCity 2000, and those are just the ones on the first page I immediately noticed) can still be downloaded there for free. She's literally advocating piracy.

Just because a game is available on GOG doesn't mean it's still not available as abandonware. GOG does not have the rights to these guys, others companies did or still do.

Last edited:
Based on Facebook before I worked out how to disable notifications, almost all of my middle-aged, empty nest, female friends are "gamers" and spend hours on Facebook games. That's what distorted the figures in the earlier statistics. And it would take a lot more than female protagonists and the removal of "Damsel in Distress" scenarios from RPG's to convince them to play.

This is what the SJW's and the media that supports them misses out. Women *ARE* having fun gaming already. They're playing the games they're interested in. Why is this wrong?

Abandonware in and of itself is illegal. There's - usually - still someone owning the rights to these games, they just don't support or distribute it anymore. One might argue about it being morally okay as the only way to get the games now, but that doesn't change the fact that it's copyright infringement.

Abandonware in and of itself is illegal.

Yes and no actually. It varies but there are game developers or companies who own the rights who put them out there. For instance Blizzard itself put Warcraft 1 as abandonware.

Based on Facebook before I worked out how to disable notifications, almost all of my middle-aged, empty nest, female friends are "gamers" and spend hours on Facebook games. That's what distorted the figures in the earlier statistics. And it would take a lot more than female protagonists and the removal of "Damsel in Distress" scenarios from RPG's to convince them to play.

This is what the SJW's and the media that supports them misses out. Women *ARE* having fun gaming already. They're playing the games they're interested in. Why is this wrong?

There's a common fallacy with the SJW types that a "female protagonist" in and of itself automatically appeals to women(and vice versa with males and male protags) and nothing could be further from the truth. The original Lara Croft and the female cast of Dead or Alive are examples of female characters that appeal more to men and on the other side of the spectrum there's those pretty boy bishonen types that appeal more to female players.

Yes and no actually. It varies but there are game developers or companies who own the rights who put them out there. For instance Blizzard itself put Warcraft 1 as abandonware.

Got a source for that? At first glance I couldn't find anything official on it. A discussion in wowwiki whether or not to offer it - ending in a 'no, it's illegal' - and a German bluepost that, in response to someone asking about it, suggested to report the link to the Blizzard support.

Btw, offering a game as freeware - like EA did with the first C&C - is still different from giving up your copyright to it.

They probably have their skivvies in a twist because other gamers, female and male alike, don't really consider facebook games and mobile game platforms "real gaming". To be honest, I'm one of those. Not that it isn't real, but it's the equivalent of someone picking up pebbles off the curb of suburban homes and calling themselves rock and mineral collectors. They're more like dilettantes of gaming. Facebook gamers that is, male and female alike.

Most women just aren't interested in being more than that, anymore than most women are interested in hunting or MMA fighting. Feminists just can't accept that while women as a whole don't have to conform to gender roles, biology beats their philosophy's ass at every turn, and women, as well as men, will willingly conform to it all on their own. They can't handle the truth. And that is that women will be women, no matter what they say. And men will be men.

Back to the root of the problem with game journalism....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...nding-deals-should-have-gamergate-up-in-arms/

Recently, popular YouTuber John Bain, aka TotalBiscuit, revealed that YouTubers were being offered deals to receive early review copies of Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and would be paid to promote it so long as they didn’t say anything negative about the game. Anyone who chose not to sign up wouldn’t receive a review code.

Furthermore, “Videos will promote positive sentiment about the game” and videos “must not show bugs or glitches which may exist.”

Check out this vid of this piece of work called Leigh Alexander.

[video=youtube;kCuvab-q0ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCuvab-q0ik[/video]

Yeah that's totally thanks to her contribution. :facepalm:

@HellKnightX88 Yes, fact that some random dude made it is pretty obvious...But this "random dude" shouldn't exist in the first place since "SHE doesn't matter anymore"... I would love to hear that she made it herself.

Last edited:
It's just some dude that gave her that... stop giving her the attention she craves so much. "Literally who?" stopped being relevant quite a while ago.

Top Bottom