Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
I get it, nobody wants to be criticized, I gnash my teeth every time when I hear critique which in my opinion is unfair to me. But if you work in the public part of the industry you should at least be mature enough to handle responsibility you acquire with this job. And if you're not then a) grow up or b) give up and leave. There isn't anything more to it really.

Last edited:
Avatars and nicknames in the net are the modern masks.

Who will not feel oneself with impunity to lie if there a mob of thousands people wearing masks saying "I like you"?

What a sad fucking state gaming journalism is in right now, it is really sad ...
I disagree. I think gaming journalism is in a better state than ever before thanks to the rise of independent journalists like TB and AngryJoe. And because traditional gaming sites are finally undergoing some public scrutiny.

I disagree. I think gaming journalism is in a better state than ever before thanks to the rise of independent journalists like TB and AngryJoe. And because traditional gaming sites are finally undergoing some public scrutiny.

Thing is, TB and AngryJoe do not count as journalists, they are critics and they always said that they are not journalists themselves, but it is sad when critics have more credibility than actual journalists ...

Nice demonstration of real diversity, as opposed to the demographics we see in games journalism.
This video nailed it at the end. But to be honest that's how a lot of politics in the United States works right now (vilifying the opposition without any real justification or cause.) It's a sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Y'know, I never got the argument that male gamers don't welcome female gamers. Under the assumption that most male gamers are sane people, who aren't asexual or gay, aren't socially crippled and don't hiss at the sunlight, why would they want less people of the opposite sex to share an interest in something they can talk about for hours with a passion?

Not that I think that argument is tossed around frequently.

Under the assumption that most male gamers are sane people, who aren't asexual or gay, aren't socially crippled and don't hiss at the sunlight...
Exactly, to them we are not sane, socially crippled and do hiss at the sunlight. For gay we are too intolerant and we are not asexual, but rather perverts and sex offenders.

The politics of grievance teach that it's not enough to just let people do their thing and go along with it. You have to actively be singing their tune or you're not an "ally" and hence the enemy.

As someone who's played online games quite a lot I find the notion that gamers don't welcome women ridiculous. More often then not there's plenty of guys who will go out of their way to be nice to women and who will defend their actions at every turn. Many women are in fact put on a pedestal and treated like special snowflakes, some women don't care about it, others don't like that and other abuse that. Welcome to online gaming 101 and this ain't recent, we can go back to the early 2000s for this.

The argument that there's certain toxic environments for women is a load a horseshit. There are toxic communities absolutely, but the argument that only women are treated badly is BS. People will use everything against you if they want to insult you for various reasons: Your nationality, your age, your race, your religion, your voice, your gender etc. and there's plenty of insults going around in games like League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Dota and many others.

More often then not the reason behind these insults is bad play: No one wants to lose a 30 min match in Dota because of some cretin who won't listen to the directions of more capable players and is playing like absolute shit. ( Which incidentally is why the Russians are absolutely reviled in that game because they do this a lot ). No one wants to spend hours in a raid in World of Warcraft for the same reason and it goes on.

Last edited:
At least 30% of all WoW players are girls, one of them used to be my Guild Master and a few of them were Officers. A lot of them were pretty good too. I don't know where the idea that male gamers don't want to welcome girls into gaming comes from. I would love to meet and even date a gamer girl. Sadly, there aren't that many in my country.

Last edited:
I would really like to know where you get that 30% figure from. If you were talking 10-20% I'd agree ( lower then 10% in Europe by the way ).

On the idea of meeting and dating a gamer girl, I'd agree fully. I've got the same problem as you do however and long distance is generally a no-go for many people.

Hard to believe since I know at least 6 Polish women which played or still are playing WoW.

Just what is the ratio that you see when you generally play WoW? Because what I've seen, and I've been from super casual guilds to hardcore world top 100-200 guilds and it's never been higher then 10 percent. The largest number was 4 in one of my Burning Crusade guilds and that guild had over 40 people.

Using personal experiences outside of the game as a basis for numbers is not a good idea.

Top Bottom