Game just disserpearing

+
Game just disserpearing

I have been having issues alot recently while playing the game it just disserpears from my screen and am unable to see anything anymore, the game is still running but all I can see is the desktop of my computer. When this happens the screen goes black for a second then the desktop appears, the game is still running and I can still hear that it is running by doing various actions or trying to open menus.

This has happened quite often after differing times so I am unsure as to the cause. I have the GOG version installed though don't have it running when playing. Tried different settings and still have the issue.

Intel I7 4770k 3.5GHz
Nvidia 970 4 GB
16GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

Last edited:
Are you using MSI Afterburner and/or Rivatuner? Disabling them before launching the game solved the issue for me.
I have the same GPU and OS as you (and same Nvidia drivers, I assume)

Sure sounds like a GPU driver crash.
TW3 doesn't like overclocked GPUs that much, remove your overclock or at least lower it and you should be good to go.

Sounds like an external program is taking screen focus away from The Witcher, but not control focus...

...and that smells like malware or a virus.

Sure sounds like a GPU driver crash.
TW3 doesn't like overclocked GPUs that much, remove your overclock or at least lower it and you should be good to go.

I believe it is a GPU driver crash, it happens to me as well. What is weird about it, for me at least, it will happen within the first 10 minutes of loading the game or it won't happen at all. I am using the latest nvidia drivers, the ones from Monday the 22nd. But this was happening with the previous drivers as well.

All of the symptoms definitely point to the drivers crashing and yes, it was happening on the old ones as well. The new ones from two days ago were specific changes for the new Batman game, and they didn't seem to include any fixes for this particular problem. (And yes, I've had it too :( )

Sending the dxdiag to CDPR support may be helpful, I assume that they're liaising with Nvidia regarding the issue.

I'm not at all convinced this would be a driver related issue. It's possible, of course, but normally a driver will never be able to shut down Windows, RAM, and ROM, which is what's necessary for a computer to power down. The only thing that could do that is a sudden lack of power to the motherboard. Or selecting "Shut Down" via Windows. Or pushing the power button. Or pulling the plug out of the wall. Or shooting the computer with a high enough caliber to completely penetrate the outer casing and...you get the idea.

I would imagine, especially with the amount of power coursing through modern-day systems, that the most a driver fault could accomplish is a crash/recovery or, worst-case scenario, a BSOD.

Last edited:
Yeah happens to me when my overclock is unstable. Its quite binary for me.. play the game on stable settings, no crashing. Get bored, try to overclock again (if its working now i must be able to push more!!) then crash again.

Still, that's 1/2 the fun of playing on pc.. just check your overclocks.

Top Bottom