Game keeps on detecting xbox controller

+
Game keeps on detecting xbox controller

I've been playing this game for approximately 70 hrs and this glitch just turned up.
Prior to this, I could play with keyboard and mouse even with the xbox controller plugged in and the game showed the mouse cursor & tool tips for PC.
Then yesterday the tool tips for the xbox controller are displayed. Tool tips are for the xbox. Keyboard commands work for most, but not all, menus. For example, in PC the 'E' would open a loot container and take the items individually. Now with this problem 'E' still opens the loot screen but doesn't work to get items. Which means I am forced to take all items by using the space bar.
The biggest issue is the mouse cursor is unavailable for use so for example dragging an oil to my sword no longer works.
Literally nothing has changed to my setup, one session all was fine and the next *bam* it appeared.
I know I can simply disconnect the controller but it's a hassle I'd rather avoid if I can - it's plugged into a USB port at the back of the case which is under the table.
Any solutions pls? Thank you.

0.) Remove any and all mods if using any.

1.) Verify / repair the game through Steam / GOG / Origin.

2.) Unplug any other peripherals you may have attached (gamepad, joystick, camera, phone, etc.)

3.) Try moving or renaming the xinput1_3.dll file.

Let us know how that goes!

Thanks SigilFey. I'm not using any mods. Verifying the game (using Steam version) didn't solve it, although 32 files were re-acquired.
Renaming the .dll file in the Witcher 3 folder did nothing.
I'm unwilling to meddle with the .dll in the WIndows/System 32 folder.

So I'm still stuck.

PS @ WalteriusMaximus - if there was a USB port in the front of the case, or if I had a USB hub, I'd use it.

iCake

Forum veteran
Hayashi.226;n8749940 said:
I know I can simply disconnect the controller but it's a hassle I'd rather avoid if I can - it's plugged into a USB port at the back of the case which is under the table. Any solutions pls? Thank you.

How much of a hassle could that be really? Surely not as much as you've already had trying alternative solutions. But if you really insist, then go to:

user.setting.ini (my documents folder)
open it with some kind of text editor, notepad++ preferably
navigate to [input] section there
locate: ForceDisablePad=false
set it to true
save, set the user.settings file to read only. Enjoy.

P.S. I'm not entrirely sure if that would work though as I've never tried this, but it most likely will work.

iCake

Forum veteran
Hayashi.226;n8766270 said:
Didn't work. Thanks for replying.

Okay, then. You can try disabling your controller in Windows then. Go to device manager, look for Xbox Peripherals there, expand that, find xbox controller there and right click on it, choose disable or turn off or something like that in the pop-up window. That will disconnect your controller without having to actually disconnect it physically. To get it back on, do all those steps again, but choose enable. A restart of the system might be required after turning it back on though.

Warning: Be carefull not to choose delete in there as it will delete the controller drivers from the system that could potentially lead to a plethora of troubles when installing them back.

The easiest way to get to device manager is:

Hit Win+R shortcut, that will bring up the "run" window. Type "devmgmt.msc" in there (without quotes) and hit enter. Also, to see if your controller is detected by the system you can run "joy.cpl" in there.

Hope this helps and it will :)

Thanks for helping. Right now I'm more curious than anything about this issue - why the sudden change when *nothing* on my PC has changed. No Windows updates (that I know of), no mods, no new programs etc.
A tad annoying but not game-breaking.

Hayashi, I encountered this identical problem.

I have a wired Xbox360 controller plugged in, and have had it plugged in for the entire time I've been playing Witcher 3. I think it was May 30th that I launched the game after playing 40 hrs, and it wouldn't switch to keyboard prompts or show my cursor. Keyboard commands work mostly like you said, but not having a cursor in menus is frustrating. Xbox prompts always show, never keyboard prompts, even when I'm constantly waving the mouse around.

Only solution I've found is physically unplugging the controller, which I don't want to do because I prefer the controller for swimming. Note that I was able to switch seamlessly (as is no doubt intended) before May 30th. Something in either a Windows patch or a Witcher patch near that date is the issue.

The Windows 10 Creator's Update has introduced some...interesting...new gaming approaches. Most significantly, it seems that DirectX is being completely phased out -- it will no longer be a thing. This has supposedly created issues for a large number of developers, as Microsoft issued no clear documentation about this, and backwards compatibility is simply, shall we say, challenged. It could be related to changes in how Windows is communicating with other hardware.

On the other hand, I don't think there has ever been time when there were not rare, random control issues with the game for "select users". :p So it could just be lucky, special you. The xinput1_3.dll file I was referring to was the one in game's folders -- NOT the one in System32. I would strongly agree with your decision not to fiddle with stuff in there.

Some other things that have helped people in the past are:

1.) Disable programs such as Comodo if you are using them.

2.) Add the game's folder to the exclusions list for your anti-virus / firewall / etc.

3.) Ensure you are not running multiple anti-virus / -spyware / -malware programs that affect the same things. (e.g. having both AVG and Norton installed and active at the same time.)

4.) Completely disable UAC and create a Hidden Administrator's Account. Run the game through that account.

5.) Uninstall any 3rd-party mouse drivers that may be installed (like Razer, Logitech, Saitek, etc.)

If all else fails, I personally recommend playing the game with a controller for a while. While I honestly hate gamepads, some games just work better with them. This is one of them, IMO. As soon as I played for a few hours with it, I never went back. Everything about the game (except inventory) just feels and works better with a controller.

Thank you for helping. The *.dll I renamed was in the game folder. Unfortunately it didn't work, as did a file I found googling which is a sreies of dlls to drop into the game folder to prevent the game from detecting the controller.
Guess I'll just have to crawl under the table to connect/disconnect the controller as needed.

Easiest way! (I still recommend you try playing with it first. :cool: Worst case scenario then is you just unplug it anyway.)

Well this is strange. The problem seems to have fixed itself. Maybe there was a Windows update that did it.
Oh well <shrug>

0.) Remove any and all mods if using any.

1.) Verify / repair the game through Steam / GOG / Origin.

2.) Unplug any other peripherals you may have attached (gamepad, joystick, camera, phone, etc.)

3.) Try moving or renaming the xinput1_3.dll file.

Let us know how that goes!

Thanks for this information. Was having a tough time with Cyberpunk constantly showing me the xbox controls and not keyboard / mouse. Renaming the .dll fixed the issue for me.

Top Bottom