Game length

+
The problem with asking about the game's length is the definition thereof and how much it matters. Users have already mentioned that CP2077's main quest is apparently smaller, but the game overall should be more replayable. Does that make the game shorter or longer? So, how much that the main quest length matter? I am rather more curious about the side-quests and how much you can just "screw around" in the world for fun.

I do like the Witcher 3, but the open world aspect was generic and boring. Like almost any other open world game, you had "points of interest"; well, after the gazillioned Nekker's nest, I get the point. Nothing about it was "organic" or weaved into the world. However, with CP2077, I do hope everything is better connected and more interesting and unique. Incidentally, I do hope for a lot more verticallity because this was also sorely lacking in the Witcher 3.

I'm going to estimate 50-60 hours. Through browsing the threads I recently saw that game will shorter than TW 3. I don't how long TW 3 main story was but I know it was less than 100 hours. So, I'm going to say its going to be half of the TW 3 main story. But it will more side stories than TW 3.

I heard a lot of people say that the main questline of the game will only be around 30 hours. For an RPG game, that's pretty short. The Witcher 3's questline was way longer last time I remembered.

I know I should take this with a grain of salt, but I really hope this isn't true. Is there some sort of confirmation (from interviews, etc) that hint on how long the game might be?
I don't think that's correct. The only direct quote we have is that the main quest will be a "bit tighter" than TW3 because they had feedback that it was too long. However, they've still said it's huge. To quote myself from another thread:

Main quests are the ones players may have to play to get to the end of the story. However, it's a non-linear game, so not all main quests are always required. Paweł Sasko told metro that it was hard to say how long it would take to finish a play-through of the main quest, because of vertical exploration, the addition of vehicles, optional side quests, and the non-linearity in the game play. Those make the variability of play time very large. He did say CDPR received feedback that the main story in The Witcher 3 was a bit too long, so they’re trying to make CP2077 a bit tighter. However, he emphasized that this was not to say there is less content. It's going to be huge. According to Marcin Blacha all the dialogues written for the game make for a two massive books, director commentary for them another two books and all the non-voiced text probably four books.

So it's 8 books worth of content in written form, with 4 being just the dialogue and directors notes. Granted it would take multiple playthroughs to see it all ... but still that's a lot of material.

Last edited:
The only direct quote we have is that the main quest will be a "bit tighter" than TW3 because they had feedback that it was too long.
'Tighter' could also mean navigation between quest targets and areas. in TW3 there was distance between main quest elements sometimes and in that distance were often lovely distractions that coloured your playthrough. this time it seems like you may have the option of ignoring more stuff and just getting from main quest A to main quest B without as much time between. just a theory/ interpretation

I don't think that's correct. The only direct quote we have is that the main quest will be a "bit tighter" than TW3 because they had feedback that it was too long. However, they've still said it's huge.

Tighter is good IMO. TW3 quests really got pretty lackluster by the last one-third of the main questline (after the battle of Kaer Morhen). That part was ridden with unrealistic character interactions and deus ex machina. There was a thread back in the TW3 forum analyzing that. So if CP2077 can trim the fat and make sure every main quest line is top quality, that's all good in my book!

8,5 km north to south.

Seriously tho, I'd expect around ~50-60 hours. Wild Hunt was around ~100 hours, but they are going for a more complex set of quests now, so I'd expect about half of Wild Hunt.
Throw in side missions, exploration, verticality, 3 different lifepath and choice and playstyles in general, and I think we're pretty much set for a lot of content for the price we pay.

There's literally no accurate way to measure a non-linear game's length. People will find a way to finish the game under 10 to 20 hours. Some will rush through the story missions only, and some will spend 3 thousand hours in the game having never finished the game once.
Me in GTA san andreas
could never catch that... t-t-THAT TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know why my images keep glitching out? the next day they all turn into gray bars. I'm only asking this to normal forum users. I'm not asking mods because I know it's not allowed to ask mods questions in threads.

Last edited:
Howlongtobeat has Witcher 3 at around 51 hours for the main story. I can't remember what CDPR advertised it as.

If CP2077 has a 40 hour main story, with 60 hours of side content, then it'll be equal in length to Witcher 3, which I'm happy with. Now if they have expansions with 15 hours of additional main stories, then I'll be over the moon excited. I would prefer a shorter main story (20-30 hrs) with a ton of side content and a world to get lost in.

Having replayability will be nice too though. Their life paths seem similar to the Origins in Dragon Age, which made me replay the game quite a few times.

The problem with asking about the game's length is the definition thereof and how much it matters. Users have already mentioned that CP2077's main quest is apparently smaller, but the game overall should be more replayable. Does that make the game shorter or longer? So, how much that the main quest length matter? I am rather more curious about the side-quests and how much you can just "screw around" in the world for fun.

I do like the Witcher 3, but the open world aspect was generic and boring. Like almost any other open world game, you had "points of interest"; well, after the gazillioned Nekker's nest, I get the point. Nothing about it was "organic" or weaved into the world. However, with CP2077, I do hope everything is better connected and more interesting and unique. Incidentally, I do hope for a lot more verticallity because this was also sorely lacking in the Witcher 3.
100% m8
100%

Post automatically merged:

I don't think that's correct. The only direct quote we have is that the main quest will be a "bit tighter" than TW3 because they had feedback that it was too long. However, they've still said it's huge. To quote myself from another thread:

So it's 8 books worth of content in written form, with 4 being just the dialogue and directors notes. Granted it would take multiple playthroughs to see it all ... but still that's a lot of material.
Time spent playing missions in W3:

Time spent walking or riding horse to missions in W3:

Time spent collecting all the horrible secret hidden chests and collectibles from the bottom of the ocean:

W3 made me need therapy.

Last edited:
I believe it would be like around 50-60, but that obviously depends on the experience of each player. Because we always have players that like to rush the game or players that like to play and see all details, and then there are the players that love side quest and go nice and easy. But anyway, i am staying with "50-60" hours, i don't know if CDP will create an expansion just like they did with The Witcher 3, i think we need to wait and see.

Howlongtobeat has Witcher 3 at around 51 hours for the main story. I can't remember what CDPR advertised it as.

If memory serves they said 50 main + 100 hours side. My playthrough was 137 but I didn't quite do everything. I continued after completing the main and finished on 145 and probably missed a few bits and bobs. So I think that if/when CPDR tell us the game length it'll be pretty accurate. I mean, god knows how many times the game's been played through by testers - the lucky sods ;) They must have a pretty good idea.

I could have sworn I read that a rough estimate was 30 hours main for CP but that was a year ago or more so things might have changed. Maybe that was just a guess from someone who spoke to a dev though so I don't know.

Anyway, if there was double the main quest playtime in sidequests for W3 then maybe that'll come out to around to 50-60 hours in side quests for CP? So 80-90 in total? That'd be enough for me, especially since I'll probably play through again anyway.

I heard a lot of people say that the main questline of the game will only be around 30 hours. For an RPG game, that's pretty short. The Witcher 3's questline was way longer last time I remembered.

I know I should take this with a grain of salt, but I really hope this isn't true. Is there some sort of confirmation (from interviews, etc) that hint on how long the game might be?
Probably more than TW3

40-50 hours (for a normal person, not those who somehow complete all their games in 15-20 hours), even 30, would be a good MQ length for about any game. Especially if the gameplay is not going to be very... "rich" in variety and opportunities.

30 hours or so is good because could be alot worse take titan fall 2 I recently started that few days ago to pass time till November. I had finished the main story in aproximately 7 hours and was left with only multiplayer from there

I would, on second thought, actually extend "game length".

For example, my "game length" for especially mod-friendly RPGs is hundreds to thousands of hours over the years. If we want to define "game length" as a time frame needed to complete a story narrative, sure, it will likely be below 50 to 100 depending on playstyle.

But it can vastly expand if you consider this term how long you play a game including replayability and other perhaps modded additional content. Then the number increases.

Even if you just take game length in the classic sense, it can wildly increase depending on additional content, whether that is DLCs or perhaps user mods that add more content and in the end simply result in longer time from start to finish.

I guess you could say it's all a matter of perspective, next to play style. Even without mods I think we get to be able to take our time and those not rushing through it and skipping or ditching a lot will still see dozens of hours of entertainment.

Top Bottom