Game modes omiting an expansion.

+
Feature Request! Game modes omiting an expansion. Won't help with rank but it would be fun if each week, or heck even a throw back Thursday, they allowed a game mode with certain expansions restricted. It would allow for people who had fun with older decks/metas to enjoy them again once in a while. I had a decent werebear Skellige deck I liked running but it DOES not hold up with MM running around.

Edit: Come to think of it Magic the Gathering, a staple of card games (at least physically, i don't know much about Arena) do this with great success!
They have legacy, which is like every expansion under the sun.
Standard which is like the last eight or so expansions I guess.
Then limited which I think is just the most recent core set and the following expansions.

I know GWENT isn't big enough for something one to one like this BUT I think with how divisive Master Mirror seems to be it could be fun mulling over a GWENT version of these formats!

Last edited:
Oh woops my apolgies Draconifors! I had gone to the welcome thread and composed a better thought out explination of this idea but this is awesome that you did this for me thank you! Should i just edit the above post, leave it as is, or go deleate the one i made in the welcome thread?

I see a fundamental flaw preventing this hypothetical game mode from achieving your goal. Many cards and abilities in Gwent have been altered over the years, whereas Wizards of the Coast almost never issues errata of Magic the Gathering cards. You can't return to a previous format if the signature cards from that format no longer exist.

I was worried about that but, it seems the changes are not as drastic if not a plain improvement. Look at Crimson Curse (the card) and whispering Hillock. Arguably worthless before the changes. I'm sure there might be more drastic changes but i can't think of them right now. If you know of any please share. It brings up a good point that A) would it be worth trying if said changes where too altered to simply restrict an expansion and B) what worth would there be, if any, in maybe "rolling back" cards in this game mode to fit the expansion restriction.

Thank you for the input Six-Sided-Prism! I fear you may be right in the end but GWENT's still young in my book so any talk about features is good talk even if nothing is implemented!

As someone who enjoys Master Mirror i can also feel the frustration. Finding a balance tho I'm sure will come in time CDPR has been excellent when it comes to their players. We'll be complaing about harmory and mill decks again before you know it xD! Double greatswords and armies of Trents popping out of no where will be stories we'll tell our kids over games of GWENT :p.

Top Bottom