Game needs some serious fixes

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Well, it would be more useful to help pointing things that actually need to be fixed, rather than making a generic point that you don't like the style of the combat at all.
Because "no more soft lock on targets" isn't something that could be just patched in (or which is actually needed, for all that matters): it would imply an entirely different combat system.
Because "just spamming light attacks blindly is enough" is blatantly false. As it is claiming that "the MC picks his target randomly without leaving the control to me".
Because "It's just block and then react" is both inaccurate and it would be irrelevant even if true, as that's not an issue in itself.

I am trying to help. I'm incessantly arguing across the forum about things that need to be fixed, for instance, without defending the game blindly.
You? And the guy who made this video (if this isn't you as well)? You are essentially just saying " I don't like this style of combat, this game sucks" and inflating your list of complaints pointing one actual issue and than a lot of non-issues.

Last edited:
Bah. Wish it was generic. This video points out everything that is wrong with this combat system. And it is explained in very nice details, the guy even make sure to repeat and then enphasizes every broken point. It's one of the worse combat systems I ever witnessed.

Anyway, I already figured this forum out. Trolls have free pass to do whatever they wish. Big waste of time.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Bah. Wish it was generic. This video points out everything that is wrong with this combat system.
No, it doesn't, it points ONE actual flaw (once again, AI going deadbrained past the line of engagement) and then the utter failure of the reviewer to grasp basics about the combat.

It's one of the worse combat systems I ever witnessed.
And I would argue that bar few notable exceptions like the Souls games at its core it's actually one of the best combat systems in action RPGs
Should they ever consider some serious rebalance and solve these AI issues, it could get even better.

Last edited:
I remember that video, terrible, guy claims you can spam to win and that combat's broken. What enemy does he prove his point on? One-handed bandits, claiming you can take your hand off the controller and just spam light attack. I'd liked to see him try this on Spear/Axe bandits or a group of drowners, he'd be obliterated on Death March, especially at such a low level too. The aggro range is quite shite and abusing it with the crossbow is a viable criticism, but most of the video is just him spamming bandits to death and almost dying on more than one occasion, all the while claiming you can just spam to win. The combat is definitely open to criticism, but trying to use this video to spark discussion about it is just wrong.

Last edited:
I remember that video, terrible, guy claims you can spam to win and that combat's broken. What enemy does he prove his point on? One-handed bandits, claiming you can take your hand off the controller and just spam light attack. I'd liked to see him try this on Spear/Axe bandits or a group of drowners, he'd be obliterated on Death March, especially at such a low level too. The aggro range is quite shite and abusing it with the crossbow is a viable criticism, but most of the video is just him spamming bandits to death and almost dying on more than one occasion, all the while claiming you can just spam to win. The combat is definitely open to criticism, but trying to use this video to spark discussion about it is just wrong.

this is correct, agro range is ridiculous though.. they should just ran after you like wolf packs, those fockers never give up.

And again, without watching the video and trying to understand from the things that you're saying, difficulty doesn't always matter, his character isn't leveled up enough, later on the combat gets harder, especially when you're using the Death March difficulty, anyway that's all I have to say, I wont comment nor post any further unless someone quotes me, lolz.

I strongly disagree with the bolded statement.

I personally found the game got much easier as I progressed and my character became too powerful, but that's another issue altogether.

I skimmed through the combat video and I didn't really find it all that interesting to be honest.

While there is some awkwardness with combat, he also hasn't really adapted to the game's mechanics. He is complaining about the auto tracking of the nearest enemy. That was one of the first things I adapted to, it's really not that hard. Sure you can spam attack some NPCs, but definitely not all or even the majority as demonstrated when he tried to spam attack the shield carrier.

I totally agree that the AI could be improved upon, but to go as far as calling the combat system garbage, that's a bit too harsh.

Tuco

Forum veteran
this is correct, agro range is ridiculous though.. they should just ran after you like wolf packs, those fockers never give up.
Yeah, they should either make the engagement range far larger (far, FAR larger; like, ten times larger) or rely on a hybrid solution where the engagement range is limitless but enemies just give up if you distance them enough meters (say, 20-30).

Yeah, as I said there is a broken implementation of the line of engagement. It's often far too close to where the fight starts, so enemies stop moving past an imaginary line that is barely few meters away from where you "pull" them. THAT is definitely something that should be addressed by patches.

Yeah this is probably the most silly mechanic, NPCs seem to be on a leash, you notice this in a lot of MMOs as well.

I strongly disagree with the bolded statement.

I personally found the game got much easier as I progressed and my character became too powerful, but that's another issue altogether.

I skimmed through the combat video and I didn't really find it all that interesting to be honest.

While there is some awkwardness with combat, he also hasn't really adapted to the game's mechanics. He is complaining about the auto tracking of the nearest enemy. That was one of the first things I adapted to, it's really not that hard. Sure you can spam attack some NPCs, but definitely not all or even the majority as demonstrated when he tried to spam attack the shield carrier.

I totally agree that the AI could be improved upon, but to go as far as calling the combat system garbage, that's a bit too harsh.

The diffuculty of the game shouldn't be discussed in that thread since as you've said, it's another "issue" I personally do not see it as an issue, the game might not be hard for some people but that doesn't mean anything.

Someone who's not familiar with RPG games might consider the game difficult, others not.

And the reason why I bolded it is because the guy in the video just bashes the combat and says things that are pointles, just because he's not familiar with the mechanics of the actual game.

Plus, it would make sense that the game gets easier while playing it, since you get better items, you become familiar with the machanics and all etc.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Well, I already finished the game twice on Death March and I noticed that:
- while it's fairly punishing over mistakes at first, it definitely becomes easier as you start to get more and more powerful
- playing a second time, while I was far more familiar with the combat, made even the beginning feel easier than the first time around (which is obvious, if you think about it).

Anyway, as I said I think the core system is fine. Even surprisingly good, in fact, coming from the previous games.
But there are definitely abilities that can make almost trivially easy to exploit some fights and should probably be reconsidered or at least rebalanced.
For instance I'm still not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make burning damage a matter of percentages of health rather than fixed damage, as later in the game this makes surprisingly easy to liquefy in few seconds even the biggest monsters.
Still, as already pointed, the balance is actually a separate topic and it doesn't directly relate to the quality of the core mechanics involved.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
So, things are coming to surface now. And people jumped at me when I said the game was broken.
Well, it's not that "things are coming to surface NOW". It's not like anyone tried to claim the game was flawless previously.

That's just the difference between giving well-aimed constructive feedback and saying random bullshit like "it's garbage, it's broken, nothing of it is salvageable, you can just spam fast attack" etc etc.

That clueless asshat banned me and over 200 other people from his channel for pointing out the many, many flaws in his little demonstration.

He's cherry-picking, finding the easiest mobs in the game with the worst AI, glitching them out and proclaiming the game is garbage and isn't 'worth a buy'. Take a quick look at the ratio of likes to dislikes on the main review. It's nearly 50/50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE

He's an idiot that wants to be that 'one guy' who sees the game for what it is while everyone else is fooled into singing it's praises. He's a reactionary yellow journalist making shameless sensationalized click-bait. I'd sincerely hesitate to base any criticisms of TW3 or any game off of what this buffoon spouts.

Zombies are out in force today...

OK. Locking this thread. People talking to themselves is really, really not cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom