Game only works with 16:9... wait... what???

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
SystemShock7 said:
My computer's "monitor" is a 42" HD LCD TV, from which I sit about 2-3 feet :)
Same here, I even have a wireless gaypad - its nice for arcades and action games, but I still prefer to play rpgs and strategy games on my 23" pc display with mouse and keyboard.

SystemShock7 said:
My computer's "monitor" is a 42" HD LCD TV, from which I sit about 2-3 feet :)So I like the format.
Wow i'm really envious on that. I like to have that settings one day when i get my new house :). But most games when played on big screen, their fonts/text are too small. Hopefully CDPR really put that in mind when scaling for bigger screens.

I don't have time to play a lot of modern games, haven't played almost any of them, just some RPG's like Gothic 3, The Witcher and Dragon Age:Origins.But I was gifted a PC game called "Assassins Creed : Brotherhood" and i really get all the complaining now.I get the 16:10 thing now, i get the reluctance towards a wheel based controller thingy. It's the same thing in Assassins Creed, and guess what, black bars suck, crappy wheel based selection sucks, it's made for a controller and it sucks for PC.I really don't feel like spending 100$ on the collectors edition now.

Dweller123 said:
I don't have time to play a lot of modern games, haven't played almost any of them, just some RPG's like Gothic 3, The Witcher and Dragon Age:Origins.But I was gifted a PC game called "Assassins Creed : Brotherhood" and i really get all the complaining now.I get the 16:10 thing now, i get the reluctance towards a wheel based controller thingy. It's the same thing in Assassins Creed, and guess what, black bars suck, crappy wheel based selection sucks, it's made for a controller and it sucks for PC.I really don't feel like spending 100$ on the collectors edition now.
Well I think the black bars really suck too on AC but The Witcher 2 does not have a wheel they are just short dialogues with images. I just think that they market the game as a PC exclusive and it is clear to me that this is not the case, short dialogues, xbox 360 controller, action combat, no tactical camera,,,. I did not see the problem with having the game on the consoles till they announce that only certain resolution were native, oh well.

Dweller123 said:
Ye gods, that's like complaining that the Nürburgring is a lousy racetrack just because you didn't enjoy driving it in a Ford Exploder.The Witcher isn't the letterboxing or the menu style or the DRM or whether you can dual-wield or bowdlerize the sex, or whether the hero isn't some bishounen pretty boy. If you can only look at it that way, you have failed to see the game at all. It's like refusing to watch Flesh & Blood because it's not in 3-D.It's your chance to experience the hardscrabble life and turbulent times of medieval Northern Europe, through the eyes of an extraordinary, deeply characterized hero; and if you blow it off because you don't like the menu design, it's your loss, not anybody else's.

Dweller123 said:
The 16:10 sucks,I agree(black bars blow),but made for a controller?Meh,hardly.TW2 is an action game and as such some features simply work better with a controller,but considering you still have keybindings I havent seen anything to imply that TW 2 wouldnt work well with a keyboard.
Dweller123 said:
Dweller123 said:
I just think that they market the game as a PC exclusive and it is clear to me that this is not the case, short dialogues, xbox 360 controller, action combat, no tactical camera,,,. I did not see the problem with having the game on the consoles till they announce that only certain resolution were native, oh well.
While TW1 was...what,tactical combat :p?As for the other things you mentioned,I think it's more to do with CDPR wanting to go for a generally more "actiony" feel with Tw2.Whether thats good or bad remains to be seen until may 17th.

I think Guy N'wah said it correctly: if you look at TW2 and those are the only things you see, then you're overlooking what the game is all about. And if those things keep you from playing, well, you'll miss out on one of the best RPGs released this decade.

On what you talking about AC:B its great game on PC!!and I dont think in TW2 have this problem (the 'circle' weapon and sing cool in my idea)

Alright, alright, but if all i cared about was the story i would read the books. I like my games playable and without black bars. If i get this game and it fails ... :( I'm not canceling though.
zinzila said:
On what you talking about AC:B its great game on PC!!and I dont think in TW2 have this problem (the 'circle' weapon and sing cool in my idea)
Uhm, are you kidding me i can barely control the thing, the mouse controls are sooo bad, and I'm not such a hardcore gamer to buy controller. I hope The Witcher 2 is not that way.

if you don't want to buy the game then don't. i don't think you posting about your decision here is going to change anything. so, bye?

Dweller123 said:
Alright, alright, but if all i cared about was the story i would read the books. I like my games playable and without black bars. If i get this game and it fails ... :( I'm not canceling though.
Dweller123 said:
Uhm, are you kidding me i can barely control the thing, the mouse controls are sooo bad, and I'm not such a hardcore gamer to buy controller. I hope The Witcher 2 is not that way.
Probably I'm going to purchase a gamepad to experiment with TW2, but at the same time I strongly belive that the mouse/keyboard will be the prefered option among the community, and that the game will work perfectly with those. Gop said some time ago that he prefered the M/KB to play, for example

onlyadream said:
onlyadream said:
The 16:10 sucks,I agree(black bars blow),but made for a controller?Meh,hardly.TW2 is an action game and as such some features simply work better with a controller,but considering you still have keybindings I havent seen anything to imply that TW 2 wouldnt work well with a keyboard.
onlyadream said:
onlyadream said:
I just think that they market the game as a PC exclusive and it is clear to me that this is not the case, short dialogues, xbox 360 controller, action combat, no tactical camera,,,. I did not see the problem with having the game on the consoles till they announce that only certain resolution were native, oh well.
While TW1 was...what,tactical combat :p?As for the other things you mentioned,I think it's more to do with CDPR wanting to go for a generally more "actiony" feel with Tw2.Whether thats good or bad remains to be seen until may 17th.
I find nothing wrong with the action base combat(maybe I will miss the pirouettes) actually I think it suits the game better but it is clear, that this is more easy to have it port to consoles and the aerial camera is another thing. TW 2 is not an old school rpg is a more action oriented modern rpg which is probably good. The only thing that I would like to have were the full dialogues and all the resolution, I just can't get my head around the fact that a PC exclusive only have one type of native resolution at launch.

Obviously it's not just the story that makes it a great RPG or a great game in general. If you've read any of the latest previews from people who have actually played through the prologue and the first chapter of the game they list many reasons why TW2 is a quality game. And none of them have said the game isn't playable with a keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure what you see with the game that makes it not playable, since I've watched all the recent videos and read the previews, and it most definitely looks playable to me.

Dweller123 said:
Dweller123 said:
I've bought a new PC last month and got me AC2 and Brotherhood to marathon. At the beginning, the controls were hard, but towards the middle, on both games, I could easily control it and get where I wanted and be unbeatable in battle against loads of varied troops. Sure, here and there I'd press the wrong button or forget I was locked on and make a critical mistake & get really frustrated, but I'm sure those who played it on consoles or with a controller on a PC had the same things happen to them.I have a Dell U2410 and 16:10. I learned to not care about the little things such as black bars after having a 4:3/5:4 monitor for all of my life, barring the last 4 weeks, and I didn't even notice them all of the game.The small things that people will complain about these days...

freakie1one said:
Obviously it's not just the story that makes it a great RPG or a great game in general. If you've read any of the latest previews from people who have actually played through the prologue and the first chapter of the game they list many reasons why TW2 is a quality game. And none of them have said the game isn't playable with a keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure what you see with the game that makes it not playable, since I've watched all the recent videos are read the previews, and it most definitely looks playable to me.
Hm.. well no one did say that it was bad on keyboard. Oh well, there is a month more of previews some-one is bound to mention if something is wrong.Because i like The Witcher i pre-ordered the Collectors eddition, i just really hope those 100$ won't be for nothing and i will be able to play it.

Dweller123 said:
I played assassins creed 2 and brotherhood with a xbox controller and had no issues.the black bars was kinda annoying since i play on a 16in monitor in 1024/768.However I do not think it will be a issue wile playing the witcher 2.

archaven said:
archaven said:
My computer's "monitor" is a 42" HD LCD TV, from which I sit about 2-3 feet :)So I like the format.
Wow i'm really envious on that. I like to have that settings one day when i get my new house :). But most games when played on big screen, their fonts/text are too small. Hopefully CDPR really put that in mind when scaling for bigger screens.
Well, I really got it for work: I am a unix engineer who works from home a lot, plus I'm going blind :) I need big terminals. But I tell you.. I am replaying the first Witcher right now to get a savegame for Witcher 2, and it looks freaking fantastic @ 1920x1080. The fonts/text look just fine, readable, clear, perfect size... and this TV isn't an expensive set.

freakie1one said:
Obviously it's not just the story that makes it a great RPG or a great game in general. If you've read any of the latest previews from people who have actually played through the prologue and the first chapter of the game they list many reasons why TW2 is a quality game. And none of them have said the game isn't playable with a keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure what you see with the game that makes it not playable, since I've watched all the recent videos and read the previews, and it most definitely looks playable to me.
Answer just one question - which display do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom