Game Over MAN! Die then credit roll after "Don't Fear The Reaper"? [Spoiler]

+

Did you think that the game was over when you died in the DFTR ending?

• Sorry, cannot help, I never did that one.

• Yeah, I died then was surprised by that being the end of the game!!??

• No, I have seen this done before in games so I knew to just reload all the way back to the elevator.

• No man I am death incarnate and breezed thru that ending no death no problem!

• It is just a game, why do you ask so many silly questions?

• This is actually a intended ALTERNET ending to the alternate ending. The trigger is not loading save

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I was watching my roommate do the ending run "Don't fear the reaper" and he died half way to the end. The credits rolled with all the VID phone messages to dead V instead of the normal flat line and reload save game menu.

He watch a few of them and said wow that was not what I expected thinking the game was really over and he would always die in that run no matter what he did as that is how the DEV made that ending.

He was about to shut off the game when I told him that was NOT all of it and he needed to load a save before the end run to try again. I myself had grind for over 100 hours BEFORE going up the elevator so that I could earn a relatively easy way thru the DFTR ending. So I did not know about this until now after watching my roommate.

I wonder how many people did the same thing and actually shut off the game thinking that was it?
Anyone that did I am sure would find out soon enough form the internet that they needed to try again, but wow what a bold chance CDPR took doing it that way.

Last edited:
My Valerie didn't have an easy run, because she's more optimised towards stealth and assault, I hadn't completed the build, had no idea about the decreasing max health and still decided to go for it on very hard difficulty. Rather than 525, she ended up facing off with Adam Smasher with only 135 max health xD

It's a big shame that rather than leaving with Judy after all of that work, Valerie turns into a self-absorbed assclown via the Path of Glory ending. I will probably try the ending again, now that my build has better combat optimisation, a formal operator outfit and photo mode tools mod (to get a better shot of Smasher being finished off, with the Silverhand pistol that I couldn't use initially because I didn't realise you jump from the rooftop conversation with Johnny straight to Arasaka Tower)

Edit; having realised that I haven't really responded to the OP. I think the game cutting straight to the credits was/ is intentional if V dies during the assault. I've seen forum members bandying about the idea that if V dies, Arasaka cover up/ obliterate any and everything related to the attempted assault and that results in the credits rolling and the ensuing holo messages, which seems like a plausible enough plot element in my humble opinion.

I am and am also not curious to know what the holo messages are if DFTR is failed. Curious because I'd like to know, not curious because if they're the same as the messages for V letting Johnny live on, I don't want the heartbreaking and tearful experience of watching and listening through Judy's message again :(

Last edited:
My Valerie didn't have an easy run, because she's more optimised towards stealth and assault, I hadn't completed the build, had no idea about the decreasing max health and still decided to go for it on very hard difficulty. Rather than 525, she ended up facing off with Adam Smasher with only 135 max health xD

It's a big shame that rather than leaving with Judy after all of that work, Valerie turns into a self-absorbed assclown via the Path of Glory ending. I will probably try the ending again, now that my build has better combat optimisation, a formal operator outfit and photo mode tools mod (to get a better shot of Smasher being finished off, with the Silverhand pistol that I couldn't use initially because I didn't realise you jump from the rooftop conversation with Johnny straight to Arasaka Tower)

Edit; having realised that I haven't really responded to the OP. I think the game cutting straight to the credits was/ is intentional if V dies during the assault. I've seen forum members bandying about the idea that if V dies, Arasaka cover up/ obliterate any and everything related to the attempted assault and that results in the credits rolling and the ensuing holo messages, which seems like a plausible enough plot element in my humble opinion.

I am and am also not curious to know what the holo messages are if DFTR is failed. Curious because I'd like to know, not curious because if they're the same as the messages for V letting Johnny live on, I don't want the heartbreaking and tearful experience of watching and listening through Judy's message again :(

Cool, you are brave going in there under gunned like that. So I am not sure did you win or die? And, did you vote?

Cool, you are brave going in there under gunned like that. So I am not sure did you win or die? And, did you vote?
Valerie is the Reaper choomba ;) She made it through the first time (just about) and made it through a second time last night (facing Smasher with 240 max health this time, thanks to better health upgrades and bringing an epic electrical damage Grad sniper rifle with +200% crit damage along);

I muted the game music and had the xXx; Return of Xander Cage score music from Brian Tyler & Robert Lydecker playing instead, for the full assault mission effect :ok:

Last edited:
Top Bottom