Game stuck on black screen, won't even load the main menu

+
Suddenly, my physical copy of Witcher 3 won't load at all on my ps4. After inserting the disc, the game boots as normal, but gets stuck on a black screen after displaying the CD Projekt Red logo. I tried reinstalling the game, but the problem persists. Help?
Edit: other physical games work just fine. Also rebuit database
Post automatically merged:

I uninstalled the game again, and this time unplugged the lan cable to prevent updates. Then, i installed the base version of the game that comes in the disk, and this time it managed to load to the main menu

Last edited:
For that sort of situation, I'm not sure there's anything else you could have done. Has it been a long time since you played it last? And recent power-outages or surges in your area?

It's been a few months. The disc looks fine, no scratches at all. No major power outages, I don't use my ps4 very often anyway. I started a new game in the base version and played for a couple of minutes, everything seemed fine. Then, I let the game update and installed all the dlc, and now the game won't boot at all. The game just hangs on the box art splash screen...
Post automatically merged:

Is there really nothing else I can do? My copy of the game is done for?

Just to finish this story, I initialized the ps4 through safe mode, did a clean install of the game and it's now working as intended. I didn't even lose my save, so hurray I guess.

Just to finish this story, I initialized the ps4 through safe mode, did a clean install of the game and it's now working as intended. I didn't even lose my save, so hurray I guess.
Good that it worked out!

Just to answer your prior question, though moot for this issue: no, there's really not much else you can do. Consoles don't allow players the access needed to troubleshoot those types of issues. And it largely shouldn't be necessary. (Major benefit of consoles -- ease of use.) If, however, something big does go wrong, reinstalling or reformatting the entire unit are the only options available to fix that sort of issue.

I think we'll see some sort of universal "verify / repair installation" option for consoles in the near future. If it's capable of downloading and installing programs from online marketplaces, nothing is really stopping it from replacing a few corrupted files on demand.

Top Bottom