Game takes 100% GPU after 1.2 update

+
I just updated to 1.2, and also updated the drivers for my 3080FE, and ... cyberpunk tanked my whole rig. I tried to open it and stream and GPU shot up to 100%, CPU to 45% which isn't normal.

I've got a Ryzen 8 core 3800x CPU, 64GB of RAM and a 3080 FE and prior to the patch, it ran ok on or off stream.

It's absolutely normal.

You should watch CPU usage: 100% means your CPU struggles and your GPU can't be fully exploited.
100% GPU is fine, that's the way it should be.

DC9V

Forum veteran
If original post is talking about power usage then 100% is bad. You don't wanna hit power limit all the time. Normalized power usage would be fine at 100% if power limit is increased. If it occasionally shots up to 100% there's indeed nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
If original post is talking about power usage then 100% is bad. You don't wanna hit power limit all the time. Normalized power usage would be fine at 100% if power limit is increased. If it occasionally shots up to 100% there's indeed nothing to worry about.

Erm, 3080 cards always are limited because of the TDP Power Rating. If you ramp up the TDP to even 110% with afterburner, you get more fps.
While playing a game and hitting 100% power usage or even 110% with afterburner is also fine.

Not true, TDP is almost always close to 100% when gaming, it's normal.
It can even be 105-110% if one overclocks his GPU. It's fine as long as your PSU is capable of delivering.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Ok.
Is TDP the same as "Normalized Total Power" in Precision X1 ? (See picture: 119%)
There's also "Total Power" and "GPU Usage".
Which one is the original post referring to?

Cyberpunk 2077 Powerlimit_.jpg
(vers.1.2, 4K, RT_Psycho, DLSS_Off)

Ok.
Is TDP the same as "Normalized Total Power" in Precision X1 ? (See picture: 119%)

View attachment 11204038
(vers.1.2, 4K, RT_Psycho, DLSS_Off)
OP talked about GPU usage.
TDP can exceed 100%, actually it will ALWAYS exceed that. TDP stands for Thermal Design Power: heat is closely linked to power consumption (TDP is about heat before everything else but the more your GPU draws power the more it will heat up so yeah, increasing TDP = increasing power consumption) but it's not like if you"re at 101% TDP your GPU will burn or explode :D

When idle, TDP is at 10-25%, when gaming, 90-110% is pretty normal.

I just updated to 1.2, and also updated the drivers for my 3080FE, and ... cyberpunk tanked my whole rig. I tried to open it and stream and GPU shot up to 100%, CPU to 45% which isn't normal.

I've got a Ryzen 8 core 3800x CPU, 64GB of RAM and a 3080 FE and prior to the patch, it ran ok on or off stream.
As a matter of fact, even if they fix the issue of the use of cpu / gpu resources, it will still not go very well with the 30xx models and AMD processors, in fact you can take a reference VALHEIM a new title that is in earlyaccess and has some similar problems to stabilize FPS, take this patch as 0.2, in no case as a full version, they will fix something and other things will be damaged, wait until the game is half fixed at the end of the year....

As a matter of fact, even if they fix the issue of the use of cpu / gpu resources, it will still not go very well with the 30xx models and AMD processors, in fact you can take a reference VALHEIM a new title that is in earlyaccess and has some similar problems to stabilize FPS, take this patch as 0.2, in no case as a full version, they will fix something and other things will be damaged, wait until the game is half fixed at the end of the year....
There is no issue with GPU usage when it's used 100%. OP thinks 100% usage is bad, when it really isn't. You WANT your GPU to be used 100%. If it isn't -then- you have issues with GPU usage. As for CPU usage got no issues here since 1.06 on Ryzen 5 3600. Can't speak for others though.

Ok.
I don't have a horse in the game but total gpu power and total gpu power normalized values in Hwinfo have "% of TDP" in parenthesis. This would make me believe they are a measure of TDP instead of actual power usage. I couldn't say whether Precision X1 measures it this way. As I understand it power consumption and TDP are related but not the same.

I don't typically have power usage displayed in monitoring software because I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it. So I'm hardly an "expert" on how it's measured. Not that anything in software monitoring is much beyond a general ballpark.

As noted it sounds like the OP isn't talking about power usage though. They're speaking about GPU usage. Aka, after patching the game and updating GPU drivers the game is hammering the GPU more than it had been before.

In the OP's case it would appear the answer to the question of "What changed?" is they updated the game and their GPU drivers. From the standpoint of troubleshooting it logically follows one of those two changes are the culprit. Thus, undoing them would be the obvious starting point. A driver rollback would be an easy one to check. A patch rollback, if possible, would be the other.

Top Bottom