Game window minimizes, cannot maximize again

+
Game window minimizes, cannot maximize again

The game will sometimes just minimize the window for no apparent reason, and I am unable to maximize the window again.
Using Alt Tab dont work, and if I click on the icon on my start menu bar, I get a small black rectangle in the upper left corner of my screen.

So far I have not been able to play the game for more than 15 minutes without it either crashing, freezing or doing this minimizing thing.
Why was the game not properly tested before it was released and when are we going to be able to play the game we paid for?

The game will sometimes just minimize the window for no apparent reason, and I am unable to maximize the window again.
Using Alt Tab dont work, and if I click on the icon on my start menu bar, I get a small black rectangle in the upper left corner of my screen.

So far I have not been able to play the game for more than 15 minutes without it either crashing, freezing or doing this minimizing thing.
Why was the game not properly tested before it was released and when are we going to be able to play the game we paid for?
All the trust people had for CDPR is gone now.

Dear CDPR, it turns out that most of the people who buys video games want to play them.Shocking right? Who would have thought that people would buy video games to play.

Does switching to borderless window solve the problem ?

I guess I should have mentioned that in my OP, but I'm actually running it in borderless windowed when this happens.
I dont know how it will work in full screen, and I'm highly reluctant to go full screen.
I use borderless windowed mode because I use Alt Tab quite frequently for various reasons, and I noticed that running the game in full screen more often than not causes the game to stop responding when I do that, where as in borderless windowed mode this does not happen at all.

---------- Updated at 02:28 PM ----------

All the trust people had for CDPR is gone now.

Dear CDPR, it turns out that most of the people who buys video games want to play them.Shocking right? Who would have thought that people would buy video games to play.

Its unfortunately something thats become more or less a standard in the industry.
Release a game is a half finished, buggy state(Beta), and fix it along the way as reports tick in.

Basically we pay them to test their game for them under the guise of it being a finished product.
Some people I know would construe it as false advertising as what we are given is not representative of what we are promised when we purchase the product.

It really like the game and I really want to play, but as much as I want to play I just cant as the game is literally unplayable this way.

I have the same problem and I have tried everything to resolve it... with no luck.
I find it unacceptable that a game can be released like this!

same thing happens with me. Once minimised the game stop responding And i cant continu. cant play more than 5 min.

I have the same problem and I have tried everything to resolve it... with no luck.
I find it unacceptable that a game can be released like this!

It IS unacceptable.
Had they said the game was still in Beta and asked us to help them get it ready then I would not have any issues and would have been happy to report these bugs.
But the game is not in beta, or at least its not supposed to be, its supposed to be a retail release, but it plays like it was a beta.

It IS unacceptable.
Had they said the game was still in Beta and asked us to help them get it ready then I would not have any issues and would have been happy to report these bugs.
But the game is not in beta, or at least its not supposed to be, its supposed to be a retail release, but it plays like it was a beta.
They warned us. They warned me. Do not pre-order they said. I didn't listen. Now I understand.

Guest 3818650

Can you at least post the specs of your computers before proceeding to bash the devs? Maybe there is a solution there.

Can you at least post the specs of your computers before proceeding to bash the devs? Maybe there is a solution there.

I have already tried the many "solutions" and workarounds suggested around here, not have helped anything at all.
But given the randomness of when, how and what happens I highly doubt its my system, not to mention that if it was I would have the same problem with other games, which I have not.
And this is just one of many problems I have encountered, which you can see people posting about almost every minute.

But since you ask, For your information:

Intel Core i7-5820K, 3,3GHZ/3,6GHz Turbo, 6 Core
Crucial M550 SSD 1TB / Seagate® Desktop SSHD 4TB
Gigabyte GeForce G1 GAMING GTX 980 4GB x2 (Dual SLI)
HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz 16GB
Win 7 Pro

And before you ask, I tried turning SLI both on and off, it didnt change anything.
Hell I have less problems with a game thats still in Alpha than I have with this game.

Same thing happens to me, the game is constantly minimising and forcing me to close it via TM. It does it when ANYTHING happens for example if I'm in a cutscene, or if im on my horse trying to go anywhere, or even in the middle of combat. I can play for roughly 15-20 mins at a time before it does it. I've changed my setting from high, to medium to low, ive disabled my second monitor, I've turned various things off and on again. It's p******g me of to say the least. f I didn't actually like the series I would demand refund for a faulty product. Does anyone have any tips or advice.
Before anyone asks "can your system run it"
I've got an Intel I74770k, MSI Gaming Board, Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2gb. 8gb ram

Same here. I can't get pass the cutscene where Gerald talks about his dream. The game freezes and I have to kill it in TM.

First thing I would try is disabling or shutting down non essential 3rd party programs for example Xfire or Raptr if you have those types of programs installed . Additionally any beta drivers you are using , e.g. Steam Beta , Origin beta . GOG Galaxy beta works fine for me .

Guest 3818650

The problems with game minimizing point to a focus problem - something may be stealing the focus of your witcher3.exe process. Killing all third party programs is a good start, disable antivirus, get default vendor GPU drivers. There has been a time where Google Chrome prevented some applications from running, but that bug is fixed too.You can also play with this thingy: https://technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/sysinternals/bb896645.aspxUse it to pinpoint exactly on what operation does the witcher3.exe hang or minimise, look at what is going on with other processes around that timestamp.The game MIGHT be to blame, but my personal experience is that even a small forgotten FPS counter that isn't even active might be hooking up via the GPU driver and causing havoc. Clean your machine.

Activate full screen, and turn off any screen savers or power sleeps. I noticed this when i went to the toilet to take a dumb in the can. And when i got back it was running my screen saver so stuff like that override witcher 3 and thus minimizin in some occasions. I got minimzed once when was downloading a torrent and a popup notification in the taskbar appeared that the download has finished and it minimzed my game. but maximized right a way without going to NOT RESPONDING> so this is not something that needs to be fixed in the game but in your sofwtare. Also disable your Antivirus real time protection while plauying .

First thing I would try is disabling or shutting down non essential 3rd party programs for example Xfire or Raptr if you have those types of programs installed . Additionally any beta drivers you are using , e.g. Steam Beta , Origin beta . GOG Galaxy beta works fine for me .

And what do you do when you dont have any such applications running and it still happens?

---------- Updated at 08:44 PM ----------

activate fullscreen

Sorry but had this happen in full screen as well.

---------- Updated at 08:50 PM ----------

Activate full screen, and turn off any screen savers or power sleeps. I noticed this when i went to the toilet to take a dumb in the can. And when i got back it was running my screen saver so stuff like that override witcher 3 and thus minimizing in some occasions. I got minimzed once when was downloading a torrent and a popup notification in the taskbar appeared that the download has finished and it minimzed my game. but maximized right a way without going to NOT RESPONDING> so this is not something that needs to be fixed in the game but in your sofwtare. Also disable your Antivirus real time protection while plauying .

As I said above happens in full screen as well for me.
And I do not have any kind of screensvaers, power saver or such things active on my computer and it still happens.
I also turned off any nonessential 3rd party applications without it helping

As for disabling antivirus real time protection, no way.
If you want to leave yourself open to viruses, thats your choice, I will not do that.
As a matter of fact I should not have to turn of any kind of firewall/antivirus protection just to play my games.
If thats whats causing the problem that that is most definitely a flaw in the game software, not my system.

And dont come here and tell me its not a flaw in the game, but a problem with my system.
Unless you are a developer of this game you have absolutely no way of knowing that.
As I already explained in a previous post in this thread, I already tried every solution and workaround suggested for this, including those you suggested, it did not help.

Last edited:
QUOTE=tommy5761;1695374]First thing I would try is disabling or shutting down non essential 3rd party programs for example Xfire or Raptr if you have those types of programs installed . Additionally any beta drivers you are using , e.g. Steam Beta , Origin beta . GOG Galaxy beta works fine for me .[/QUOTE]
I've tried every measure you've all recommended. it's a shame the devs don't give 2 shits about anything other than money. Why release a game that's clearly not A WORKING RELEASE!!!!!

You seem to have the same problem as a lot of persons here, including me.
Your game does not minimize, it crashes.
Or at least, the image-rendering part does because the sound is still active. By the way you may notice a few seconds of "freeze" before the desktop appears.

None of the tricks mentioned on this forum worked for me. So I hope CDPR is working on it and the next patch fixes it.

Top Bottom