Game window minimizes, cannot maximize again

+
You seem to have the same problem as a lot of persons here, including me.
Your game does not minimize, it crashes.
Or at least, the image-rendering part does because the sound is still active. By the way you may notice a few seconds of "freeze" before the desktop appears.

None of the tricks mentioned on this forum worked for me. So I hope CDPR is working on it and the next patch fixes it.

No, no freeze, just suddenly minimize as if I used alt tab.
Everything works find until that moment.

It IS unacceptable.
Had they said the game was still in Beta and asked us to help them get it ready then I would not have any issues and would have been happy to report these bugs.
But the game is not in beta, or at least its not supposed to be, its supposed to be a retail release, but it plays like it was a beta.

Agreed, it is getting quite shameful nearly that there are so many issues appearing. It is like the QA team was just sitting on their controllers all day jumping on stuff and not actually finding any issues..?

Agreed, it is getting quite shameful nearly that there are so many issues appearing. It is like the QA team was just sitting on their controllers all day jumping on stuff and not actually finding any issues..?

Maybe they were too busy playing the game than actually testing it and looking for problems.
Not to mention they would likely have been playing in some kind of debug/developer mode that allowed them to bypass any problems that might show up.
And then if they had fun playing they would think they could report it later, but would forget about it again because they enjoyed playing the game so much.

And what do you do when you dont have any such applications running and it still happens?

---------- Updated at 08:44 PM ----------

Sorry but had this happen in full screen as well.

---------- Updated at 08:50 PM ----------

As for disabling antivirus real time protection, no way.
If you want to leave yourself open to viruses, thats your choice, I will not do that.
As a matter of fact I should not have to turn of any kind of firewall/antivirus protection just to play my games.
If thats whats causing the problem that that is most definitely a flaw in the game software, not my system.

Chill dude... when you play a game and not browsing the web, not installing any thing HOW does your PC Is under attack??? Maybe Wild Hunt will place some virus on your PC ???

Maybe they were too busy playing the game than actually testing it and looking for problems.
Not to mention they would likely have been playing in some kind of debug/developer mode that allowed them to bypass any problems that might show up.
And then if they had fun playing they would think they could report it later, but would forget about it again because they enjoyed playing the game so much.

Quite possibly yes, which is still sad.

This is now happening to me as of patch 1.04. It happens when the game is set to fullscreen, works fine on borderless windowed mode.

Didnt they say they fixed this in the latest patch?
Just had this happen again and it even caused my computer to lock up for several seconds.

Yeah, I'd like to jump in here and report the same thing happens to me also.

Seems to happen quite a lot as I enter a conversation. I can hear the characters talking and if I press an option button that still seems to select the option.

Great game, but extremely annoying bug.

I'm also getting this bug but my friends are not. Thing is, I've been getting a similar bug on GTA5 where the display also momentarily turns off after a while of playing as if the graphics driver crashed and rebooted. The difference is that after that happens, Witcher 3 remains permanently minimized (albeit with a tiny black rectangle on the screen) but still playable and GTA5 gets minimized and crashes. Still, oddly similar bugs, both which happen randomly, in two different games I've been playing very recently. It seems to me like something other than these games is causing these. Small note: With GTA5, the bug happened notably less when I didn't have Firefox open on some website with flash player (like youtube) so perhaps it's flash related.

For the record, I have a GTX 970 with i7-4790k. I'll be reducing the amount of background applications and processes, see if it fixes it.

Last edited:
I'm also getting this bug but my friends are not. Thing is, I've been getting a similar bug on GTA5 where the display also momentarily turns off after a while of playing as if the graphics driver crashed and rebooted. The difference is that after that happens, Witcher 3 remains permanently minimized (albeit with a tiny black rectangle on the screen) but still playable and GTA5 gets minimized and crashes. Still, oddly similar bugs, both which happen randomly, in two different games I've been playing very recently. It seems to me like something other than these games is causing these. Small note: With GTA5, the bug happened notably less when I didn't have Firefox open on some website with flash player (like youtube) so perhaps it's flash related.

For the record, I have a GTX 970 with i7-4790k. I'll be reducing the amount of background applications and processes, see if it fixes it.

Only happens occasionally for me, but seems to be completely random.
Tried shutting down all non-essential applications and still happens, no noticeable changes.

Same thing for me as well game randomly minimized sound still playing and I need to close it via task manager .....

Same thing for me as well game randomly minimized sound still playing and I need to close it via task manager .....

From what I know it's a nVidia driver problem, that's why it's happening in other newer games.
I did noticed it happens MORE if I wasn't in Full Screen though because when the driver glitches your clicks actually go through to the desktop or something weird like that, causing it to minimize while it's micro crashing in my case.

After posting this morning, I patched witcher to 1.04 (I hadn't done so yet) and completely disabled (via processes/task manager and services/msconfig) these applications: PowerISO, Evernote Clipboard and LogMeIn Hamachi. In Hamachi's case, I also disabled it in network adapter settings.

The game hasn't crashed since and I've been playing all day. Perhaps one of these things could be causing the crashes for some people.

Hello everybody,
I just registered, especially to reply to the TO.
I have the same Issue with the game minimizing, but unlike others, the game is still running, and by clicking on the Icon in task bar, i can just open the game
and continue playing. Of course makes it unplayable still.
I haven´t had freezes or crashes where I had to close game with Task manager.
This is happening with my new Computer (I4790K, MSi 980 Gaming4).
On my 2013 Alienware 17 (i7 4700mq, GTX 780M) I had no problems whatsoever.
Im running the game on Steam, have tried to run in Borderless Window, FullMode, and whatnot, nothing helped.
Regards

Oh, by the way, have tried several Drivers from 350.12 till the new one, with or without Geforce Experience

Last edited:
Ok, now I found the Solution for me.
Its my TP Link WLAN Utility Tool thats stealing the focus of the game.
If the open section/tab is the "Network" section/tab , then the TP-Link utility steals focus from other programs even if the TP-Link utility is minimised in the taskbar . So just change the tab to Status or advanced, or close the Tool altogether, then its fixed
Hope that might be of help for the one or other.
regards

Hello,

I have same behaviour "sometimes". I start W3 from GOG Galaxy, then it loads but minimized. Everytime I click on its taskbar "icon" I see for less than 1 second the "game", then goes to desktop again. I have suffered this with one of the latest Nvidia driver (353.49 hotfix) and an old one (347.25). I have as others above here, 4790K and GTX970... Only way to "solve" is to restart system...

And now I recall... similar happened to me with Witcher 2 EE... only after restarting it worked... Also, I have none of the previous applications prior mentioned to be "affecting" the game to run/start properly... It "might" be something interferring but, what exactly??

Well... I just suffer exactly this mentioned on May (so it is not "new" issue on 1.07)

Last edited:
I can confirm that for me, when this happens, its due to the nvidia display driver failing, and restarting (just check your windows event viewer log file).

Seems that the newer nvidia drivers are basically crashing while running W3. Lovely.

Top Bottom