Game won't exit into Win properly

+
Game won't exit into Win properly

Hello all! This is my first time playing Witcher, and I have a problem that is a potential deal breaker, and it annoys me so much that I am thinking of quitting the game.

It doesn't properly exit into Win. Screen goes black, keyboard/mouse commands don't work, and I am forced to physically restart my PC. ESC does nothing, same with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Is there a fix for this, or is it uninstall for me?

I play on:

i5 4460
8 GB DDR3
GTX 960
Win 10 64-bit
All software updated

Thanks in advance.

Could be Windows 10 issue. Try compatibility profiles may be? I never played the game on Windows however, so I can't say for sure. A radical fix is installing Linux and playing the game in Wine, where it works perfectly ;)

iCake

Forum veteran
As noted, try running the game in compatability modes. Start with Windows XP SP3. If the game installed in the program files folder, try running the game as admin. If nothing helps, then just do this to avoid the black screen when exiting to windows --> alt-tab to desktop, bring up the task manager and kill "witcher.exe" process.

Drakensanger;n6960860 said:
Problem solved :)

Thank you for your help people. I've set compatibility mode to XP SP3 and it works as it should.

I have the same problem as you. Decided now to play Witcher 1. My PC is even better than yours. How do you exactly set compatibility mode to XP SP3?

Sadly nothing worked for me. I tried XP SP3, Vista, Win 7 and Run as Administrator. Every time when I would exit the PC would go black and I had to manually restart.

I found a solution. Every time I want to quit the game I change it to windowed mode and then I push exit. I play full screen but I quit windowed. It gets you peacefully to the desktop.

Top Bottom