Gamebreaking stamina bug

+
Gamebreaking stamina bug

Hey

Towards the end of the quest "Following the Thread" my stamina stopped regenerating. When I realized it, it was already too late. Created too many checkpoints and autosaves. I'm 62 hours into the game. The next save I could load that doesn't have the bug is a manual save from 6 days ago. That means that I would have to start over in order to play the game which would be incredibly frustrating. Might not even do it. Does anybody know if there's a way to get rid of this? I tried different things: entering combat, drinking Tawny Oil, played Gwent, etc.

Edit: Sorry, I failed to post this under "PC", because I'm playing on a PC.

EDIT2: FIXED after encountering Bandits in Novigrad. Strangely the fight against a Werewolve couldn't fix it, but this did.

Last edited:
If you still have some save with not working stamina can you please send it over to me (tomasz.kozera at cdprojektred.com)?

The bug is still in the game. It happened to me yesterday twice at least with superior tawny owl potion. To my knowledge, i you enter combat use the potion it works fine, but if the fight ends with the potion still active sometimes it bugs. I suspect it happens when a cutscene follows the fight with the potion active.

Example. Quest Last Wish. Fighting a the Djin. I use thunderbolt + tawny oil and burst the djin down within 20s or so and after all the cuscenes with Yen end the stamina is stuck and does regenerate at all. Meditating and loosing the pot buff doesnt fix it. Reusing another tawny owl after that gives you regen from the potion itself but not the standard regen.

This happens also other times. Tawny oil is great potion i was using a lot but upgrading to the superior version broke it for me.

Do you still want to send some save with this bug to your email?

Ok, i will send it today when i get home in the evening. Yes i am using whirl skill. Is it the cause of this bug?

There is a bug with Whirl skill (already fixed on out end) but it might be a different cause. If I'll have a save I have a way to check what's blockign the stamina regen.

I am experiencing the same issue. However, I didn't complete that quest when it happened. I haven't even unlocked the whirlwind skill and I wasn't using a tawny owl potion when it happened either. This bug is ruining the game for me. I have tried everything that was mentioned in countless message threads but to no avail. I even watched videos from other people with the bug on YouTube to try and fix it. None of that worked either. I have re downloaded the game and the 1.03 patch twice. Currently I can't cast signs or heal from consumables and of course my stamina doesn't regen. I am also stuck in the story because the mission I am on for the Barron requires I use axii which of course I can't cast. I refuse to start the game over because I am 25 hours into it and all my saves have this issue. This game is great but this bug is really ruining the experience for me. The most frustrating thing is that the last patch supposedly fixed this issue.... Any new suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've just had this hit me at the 110hr point while doing one of the final main quests.
Edit: Cleared it getting into a fight, but not sure when it'll come back. I've noticed Whirl's been a bit erratic since I started playing this evening.

Last edited:
For most cases getting hit should restart the stamina regen.
In any case please send us a save so we can debug what the cause is.

I had this bug on 1.04. Isn't it fixed yet? I don't know what caused it, might be whirl because i just unlocked and started using it. Getting hit fixed problem.

Also still having this problem after the update. I sent in my save and was told to get bent... Not impressed. I loved this game and was willing to be patient for a fix to its issues... But this big has broken the game for me... I am sadly done playing it. I am sure no one at projekt red cares, that was clearly portrayed in the emails I received after sending my save data in to be looked at. Regardless, I hope the issue is fixed so others can enjoy this game the way they should. Signing off...

---------- Updated at 05:38 AM ----------

I FINALLY FIXED THE STAMINA BUG! It was simple after I thought about it. Why no one who developed the game has posted this I do not know. First, Make sure to have 1.04 update installed then Simply go loot an item in front of a guard and let him beat u to a pulp. You will not load a recent save, Instead u awake with a bit of gold missing, but a fully functioning stamina gauge (well worth the price)! I hope this helps anyone who was experiencing this bug!

---------- Updated at 06:32 AM ----------

Ha jk now the stamina gauge depletes but doesn't refil. Still can't cast signs or heal with consumables.... I'm done with this

I am experiencing the same issue. However, I didn't complete that quest when it happened. I haven't even unlocked the whirlwind skill and I wasn't using a tawny owl potion when it happened either. This bug is ruining the game for me. I have tried everything that was mentioned in countless message threads but to no avail. I even watched videos from other people with the bug on YouTube to try and fix it. None of that worked either. I have re downloaded the game and the 1.03 patch twice. Currently I can't cast signs or heal from consumables and of course my stamina doesn't regen. I am also stuck in the story because the mission I am on for the Barron requires I use axii which of course I can't cast. I refuse to start the game over because I am 25 hours into it and all my saves have this issue. This game is great but this bug is really ruining the experience for me. The most frustrating thing is that the last patch supposedly fixed this issue.... Any new suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have same issue. Also there is no breathe bar under the water, so u cant die. I try fight unarmed with guards but its just refill stamina but after using any sign, stamina not regen anymore. I try also fight with max adrenaline and used stamina regen potion and used whirlwind and nothing happend after. My hp not regenerating so as stamina. No potion and food working. Any help from cd project? Should i send to you guys my save? waiting for answers.

I can also confirm that this bug is present in 1.05. It happened almost instantly aftering slotting WHIRL for the first time and trying it out; after the fight, stamina would not regenerate any longer. Neither fast travel nor saving and reloading the game solved it, forcing you to go back to a save from before the bug has triggered.

It is most definitely a game-breaking bug, and like with the mutagen issue, I am surprised it has not been stamped out yet.

I also have this bug in 1.05. Stamina does not regenerate, using a potion removes one of them but gives no effect, food or drinks don't work either.

1.06 nothing change. Stil same bug: no stamina regen, no food & drink regen, no breathe bar under the water (cant die). I tried all methods like reset a skilltree with wirlwind, knockout by Novigrad guard and many many others, even uninstall whole game and download and install from begining. Bug still there.

---------- Updated at 06:32 AM ----------

Ha jk now the stamina gauge depletes but doesn't refil. Still can't cast signs or heal with consumables.... I'm done with this

I have exacly the same bug, getting beaten by guards refills the stamina, but its not regenerating and consumables don't work. Don't have any relevant saves prior to the bug, so fix it because it makes the game unplayable right now :( I've tried everything, combat, card game, boxing but nothing seems to help ;/

Same bug with stamina here. Come on CDPR! The previous Witcher games weren't this buggy...

PS. The bug seemed to have creeped in since I started wearing the superior cat school gear. Could that maybe have some bearing ? Cat gear is supposed to enhance stamina regen, but it seems to be supressing it instead... I used Tawny owl to regen, but unless I drink tawny owl, I sit with an empty stamina bar.

Last edited:
Same bug with stamina here. Come on CDPR! The previous Witcher games weren't this buggy...

PS. The bug seemed to have creeped in since I started wearing the superior cat school gear. Could that maybe have some bearing ? Cat gear is supposed to enhance stamina regen, but it seems to be supressing it instead... I used Tawny owl to regen, but unless I drink tawny owl, I sit with an empty stamina bar.

Its not about cat gear. I read it was about whirlwind skill which make bug.

Top Bottom