Gameplay - depth vs complexity vs fun

+

Gameplay - depth vs complexity vs fun

• Total voters
SigilFey;n9750781 said:
Back on topic...

I do wonder if a form of alignment system might benefit Cyberpunk. The thought is a little, baby butterfly in my mind right now, but I'm thinking something like a "psychological evaluation score" that you have to try to stay in sync with in order to progress with certain factions. If they feel you're falling out-of-sync with their tenets...one door closes and another opens.

The problem with an alignment system is that you have to assume some sort of absolute moral scale. And who sets this scale. One borg's lawful neutral is another borg's neutral evil. For a cyberpunk setting I think it would be better to avoid such limitations.

Suhiira;n9750971 said:
It more-or-less has one already, the reputation system.

If you have high cred with unsavory groups doesn't that indicate your moral perspective, i.e. "alignment"?

4meg;n9751631 said:
The problem with an alignment system is that you have to assume some sort of absolute moral scale. And who sets this scale. One borg's lawful neutral is another borg's neutral evil. For a cyberpunk setting I think it would be better to avoid such limitations.

That's precisely not what I was going for, actually, although I think my idea may be splitting hairs. It's still an undeveloped thought (insofar as how, exactly it could be implemented), but rather than having a "Good / Neutral / Evil" thing, it would reflect a very objective psychological score.

So, for example, you could have 3 lines:

1-26 (measuring 1. strong leadership tendencies --> 10. cooperative subservience --> 26 fierce independence and challenge of authority)

A-Z (measuring A. achieves proactive, constructive results --> K. strong attention to detail with swift and balanced outcomes --> Z. aggressive and destructive approach with immediate results)

i-xxvi (i. introverted and self-reflective --> xi. balanced awareness of internal and external concerns --> xxvi. purely extroverted and evocative)

Players would make decisions in conversations, how they complete missions, the amount of collateral damage they cause, whether they choose to aid an NPC, call for aid, or ignore the distraction...etc. There would be a constant "Big Brother" presence watching and evaluating every action of every person jacked into its system, and it would be constantly evaluating and balancing their psych-score.

In return, certain factions would only be interested in certain spreads of psych-scores for certain positions. Therefore, if I wind up with a psych-score of 23/B/xii (independent operator that produces excellent results while taking care not to piss anyone off), at a certain point of the game, some faction approaches my character with an offer to become part of a special unit that uses covert operatives in a cloak-and-dagger, Cold War style, double-agent thing. Missions now become James Bond-y working with others covert agents...code words and quiet chats with contacts in seedy nightclubs, etc.

If my score is 9/L/xxii (great middle-management skills, no nonsense, knows how to follow orders, and garners the respect of others) my character may be promoted to a "squad leader" or something. I get to recruit 3 NPCs of my choice and the game plays out a bit more like Rainbow Six with a few missions in which we're a single team cooperating in a larger operation (like big battles in CoD or something).

It's just a brainstorm, but I always like the idea of having aspects of RPGs be exclusive to certain character types, classes, or styles of play. More or less creating a really catered experience for any one "class", but also generating massive replay incentive.

eraser7278;n9751021 said:
"Stay on topic...
STAY ON TOPIC!"

HAHAHAHAhahahaha...! (I've saved the pic and will eventually use that in the future! :D)

Last edited:
Staying on topic in a speculation thread about uncorfirmed news related to a game that we know nothing about and was announced 5 years ago?

Sure, so do you guys think there will be flying penises in Cyberpunk 2077? I mean, it's a possibility.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9753351 said:
Sure, so do you guys think there will be flying penises in Cyberpunk 2077? I mean, it's a possibility.

This is not Ancient Rome. It's "Ancient Rome with cybernetic enhancements."

SigilFey;n9753161 said:
That's precisely not what I was going for, actually, although I think my idea may be splitting hairs. It's still an undeveloped thought (insofar as how, exactly it could be implemented), but rather than having a "Good / Neutral / Evil" thing, it would reflect a very objective psychological score.
<clip>
It's just a brainstorm, but I always like the idea of having aspects of RPGs be exclusive to certain character types, classes, or styles of play. More or less creating a really catered experience for any one "class", but also generating massive replay incentive.
While it has potential the implementation of the number of permutations you suggest would be a nightmare.

eraser7278;n9754241 said:
CDPR could always make the fan "humanity test" cannon. that would at least give some inkling of how far down the psycho road a player is.

http://www.paper-dragon.com/cyberpunk/rns/tools/ht.html

No violence agains't animals here, please.

SigilFey;n9753651 said:
This is not Ancient Rome. It's "Ancient Rome with cybernetic enhancements."

Penises with cyberwares then. Now, should CDP2077 cross that Saints Row line of making things over the top in order to appear random/funny?

Lisbeth_Salander;n9754971 said:
Penises with cyberwares then. Now, should CDP2077 cross that Saints Row line of making things over the top in order to appear random/funny?

Cyberpunk 2077, Expansion DLC 1:

Lysistrata 2079

New cybernetic enhancements. Foil or frustrate your enemies to manipulate outcomes and gain prestige.

GRRRrrr...it's so hard to stay on topic! Let's qualify this idea, then. I do think that sexual identification could be a very interesting theme to thoroughly explore. If the concept is that people can enhance / replace entire bodily functions with cybernetics, does that not beg the classic question of when the person is no longer a person? (Obviously, I know, but still...)

With sexuality in particular, I think dealing with the concept of inadvertent asexuality is something that I hope is explored. (Not sure if this is big in the Cyberpunk universe or not. I'm still fairly light on my lore and understanding.) It's a possible avenue for some really heartbreaking character moments, I think.

SigilFey;n9757741 said:
GRRRrrr...it's so hard to stay on topic! Let's qualify this idea, then. I do think that sexual identification could be a very interesting theme to thoroughly explore. If the concept is that people can enhance / replace entire bodily functions with cybernetics, does that not beg the classic question of when the person is no longer a person? (Obviously, I know, but still...)

With sexuality in particular, I think dealing with the concept of inadvertent asexuality is something that I hope is explored. (Not sure if this is big in the Cyberpunk universe or not. I'm still fairly light on my lore and understanding.) It's a possible avenue for some really heartbreaking character moments, I think.

With modern implants cyberpunk saying 'go fuck yourself' should have completely novel implications.

4meg;n9759521 said:
With modern implants cyberpunk saying 'go fuck yourself' should have completely novel implications.
That or simply hire a whore, turn on a halo emitter so they look like you, and if you're really into the idea a bio-feedback device so you're feeling everything the whore is.

or skip the extra work and hack into the pleasure centers of your own brain, leaving you in a state of near constant bliss... until dehydration/starvation ends the experience... or at least that's how it ended for rats in testing.

eraser7278;n9761091 said:
or skip the extra work and hack into the pleasure centers of your own brain, leaving you in a state of near constant bliss... until dehydration/starvation ends the experience... or at least that's how it ended for rats in testing.

Go spark yourself? Not the same.

SigilFey;n9757741 said:
inadvertent asexuality

Yeah. there is a chance of us seing an over the top "Saints Row" theme, since almost anything can happen in the CP2020 universe.

Do you think asexuality would appear in the game, considering that assexuals are probably less than 1% of the world's population? Giving players the option to not romance or have sex aren't enough to satisfy asexual gamers?

Lisbeth_Salander;n9769321 said:
Yeah. there is a chance of us seing an over the top "Saints Row" theme, since almost anything can happen in the CP2020 universe.

Do you think asexuality would appear in the game, considering that assexuals are probably less than 1% of the world's population? Giving players the option to not romance or have sex aren't enough to satisfy asexual gamers?

Well, before we go down some SJW/bad SJW path, keep in mind that Witchers were much less than 1% of the population - but they are cool. If CDPR devs think there is something interesting, story-wise about asexuality, it'll probably be a choice and/or an NPC.

Like most such choices, though, I can't see a lot of influence on gameplay, other than some dialogue choices.

Sex gameplay is very tricky.

Sardukhar;n9773461 said:
keep in mind that Witchers were much less than 1% of the population

What I meant was "Asexuals are less than 1% of world population, so perhaps it would make sense to focus on audiences that are bigger than 1% because MONEY." But yeah, CDPR seems to value immersion a lot, so they might do that which will be fine.
With the whole "sex" thing if CDPR was to get the attention of "bigger audiences", perhaps it would be smart to put popular sexual fantasies or fetishes in the game. and I'm 100% serious.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9774561 said:
What I meant was "Asexuals are less than 1% of world population, so perhaps it would make sense to focus on audiences that are bigger than 1% because MONEY." But yeah, CDPR seems to value immersion a lot, so they might do that which will be fine.
With the whole "sex" thing if CDPR was to get the attention of "bigger audiences", perhaps it would be smart to put popular sexual fantasies or fetishes in the game. and I'm 100% serious.

You just want them in the game for yourself to enjoy ; )

Lisbeth_Salander;n9775151 said:

I ain't shook

Lisbeth_Salander;n9774561 said:

That kind of attention is not always a good thing.

Top Bottom