Gameplay mechanics I want to see in "The Wicher 4"

+
I agree, better to work out better gameplay mechanics and quality quests than huge open world.
It's just my opinion and it doesn't mean that CDPR don't have to improve/work on gameplay (for me, CDPR quests/stories was/are always great anyway), but even seven years later, The Witcher 3 open world (Velen, Skellige and Toussaint) is just too freaking amazing and gorgeous to return on a "hub based" game...

It's just my opinion and it doesn't mean that CDPR don't have to improve/work on gameplay (for me, CDPR quests/stories was/are always great anyway), but even seven years later, The Witcher 3 open world (Velen, Skellige and Toussaint) is just too freaking amazing and gorgeous to return on a "hub based" game...

They could do both, amazing cities plus hubs. GoW4 has that big lake, kinda center of the game, where you go often.

Open world games has exploration, freedom. adventuring that kind of stuff though. I say no to open world design/gameplay, if that matters.

The thing is with hub based world you can enjoy much more in level design. I wish W4 has more vertical and interesting level design with stealth mechanics. Basically having Geralt play as rogue witcher with steel/silver daggers.

The thing is with hub based world you can enjoy much more in level design. I wish W4 has more vertical and interesting level design with stealth mechanics. Basically having Geralt play as rogue witcher with steel/silver daggers.
I agree, CDPR have to work on gameplay, but for me, it have nothing to do with the "open world" :)
One example, you stand on the top of a mountain in Skellige, you have an awesome view. And above all, it's possible to reach every places that you can see. In "hub based" games, well... It's just a awesome view, nothing more.

Dear developers,
2 things I think would be cool:
First, monster finishers. I thought TW3 lacked cool dismemberment/finishers while fighting monsters. For example climbing on a cyclops and stabbing its eye. Or decapitating a chort.
Second, more diversity of bosses. Imagine fighting a sea monster on a boat during a storm with underwater sections. Or climbing on a flying monster and fighting in the air. Or fighting the garbage monster from the Witcher books waist deep in trash with severely restricted movements trying to find a clever way of defeating it.
Anyway even if you don't see this I know the game will be great! Thanks!

Make blade oils usable like the potions without needing to open the inventory and bring traps back

1. Make investigations more interesting.
Make the player feel smart for finding a clue instead of just having him follow red smears on the ground.

2. Make combat feel more tactical.
Enable the player to attack certain parts of a monster's anatomy to disable its abilities or expose a deadly weakness. I think there was something like this planned for Witcher 3 ( I remember reading an article about it), but it would seem the idea was scrapped. Geralt's ability to sever a grave hag's lashing tongue by countering it at the right moment might be a remnant of this idea.

3. Stealth would be a cool idea, I think.
Witchers are hunters, after all. You could stalk a pack of ghouls, set up traps around the perimeter and then startle them with a bomb and make them run straight into those traps.

4. Reward knowledge.
Players could receive certain bonuses for thoroughly researching a monster. Maybe increased damage or crit chance against it or maybe they can only target a certain weakness by learning about it first (see point 2).

5. Bring back the alchemy system from Witcher 1.
I liked it because it allowed for experimentation. You could learn formulas from NPCs, but you could also discover them on your own by combining ingredients at random, and I also liked that you could drink a botched potion and suffer for it. I also liked the fact that potions didn't auto-replenish in Witcher 1 like they do in Witcher 3. I get why CDPR made that decision in Witcher 3 - it's a more simplified, streamlined system, it saves time and so on - but I feel it kind of detracts from the experience.

There were some talks about the game supporting Direct Storage when the update was announced. Does anyone have any info on that?

I like the ideas! Here are some of my own:

1. 2x Protagonist - I think the 'next generation' of RPGs like CDPR makes, Starfield makes, etc. are for someone to master origin stories and starting as different types of people or just different people in general. I'll use Geralt and Yennefer as examples so that it is easier to understand.

But I think it would be a cool concept to be able to play the story of The Witcher 3 from Geralt's perspective. You fight like a Witcher, solve problems like a Witcher, people treat you like a Witcher... so on so forth.

But then you could also play as Yennefer from the start of the game if you choose her. You fight using magic, solve problems in magical ways, people treat you like a sorceress, etc.

Your stories would intertwine. There would be 'default' and 'canon' Yennefer actions and Geralt actions when they interact and things like that. But your plays of each character would offer unique interactions and choices that could impact the world, the other main character and the ending(s) of the game.

You could start at different points in the world, major characters and plot points could play out differently, there could be different endings, etc.

Is this too much work for a developer? I don't know - because I am not one. If it is, then I guess the idea is a terrible one. But it seems like the Resident Evil games have managed to do this once or twice. Divinity: Original Sin 2 dabbled into this and Baldur's Gate 3 is kind of getting into it with their origin character system. But I think this could be insanely cool in some of these big RPGs... while offering both unique experiences and a high level of replay-ability.

2. Swords, but different -
Witchers seem synonymous with swords and I think keeping them around as the primary weapons are great. But it would be neat if there were long/heavy swords that offered slower, big higher damage attack. Medium sized swords that offered a base style of combat. Katana type swords that maybe offered a quicker type of slashing but could stack bleed effects. Short swords that are almost like daggers that offer fast attacks and potentially benefit sneaking type mechanics.

3. Morality System - I say this only if it has a genuine impact and is done right. I thought Mass Effect did a decent job of it and the original Fallout games had some neat stuff with it. But make certain actions have consequences that are long lasting based on if they were good, bad or indifferent. I imagine Geralt is gone and we are going to play as a custom character, so this seems far more important.

The following things would be the most important aspects of a good Witcher 4:
Monster hunts with slow motion finishing moves, crime scene investigation with Witcher senses, the main protagonist struggling with having no emotions and being unable to feel anything except cynism sarcasm and greed for gold because of the herbal trial, and some more ghosts phantoms and monster hunting.
And a good 3D VR support!
That would make a perfect Witcher 4.

Top Bottom