Gameplay Reveal — 48-minute walkthrough

+
I used to gm cyberpunk 2020 for our group back in 90's and watching the video it seemed familiar compared to original p&p.
Reading the comments here, it seems like people forget it's based on p&p rpg. Original game had a possibility to create characters that could have cybernetics like skin armor, face plate, cybernetic armored limbs etc. And you needed really heavy weapons to deal with those guys so the boss fight for example is in the line of original game in my opinion (and that guy had a big shield also).
if you compare demo to the original rpg, I think it's very much in the spirit of the p&p game.
But double jump was stupid. This is not 2d sidescroller platformer.
Anyway, I liked it.

I just have to say that the gameplay video was amazing, I am thrilled to see what more you will end up revealing in the coming months. The setting of Cyberpunk very much visualize old pen and paper RPGs such as Mutant, I can't wait to get my hands on this game to see what kind of dubious choices and corrupt moral decisions I can make.

I can't find words to describe how happy I am that there still exist some game companies out there that make games for adults and do not shy away from such themes, when this game releases I will take a months vacation, take my money and never stop making these kind of games!

Amazing.

Can we please get some 70s - 80s rock in there as well though. "Free Bird " by Lynyrd Skynyrd solo playing while I dice enemies with mantis blades and blow off limbs with a shotgun would be insane! Say that the character prefers this classic music from 100 years ago sometimes.
Post automatically merged:

Please just get someone to port witcher 1 & 2 to consoles please. I beg you. I really need to play witcher 1.

Last edited:
Great gameplay clip, you truly did some cool things here.

PROS:
  • Massive crowd of people on the streets, animations and what they do look spectacular
  • Immersive dialog system and interactions with the environment
  • Nice interactive cutscenes (like the one at the ripper doctor, or the one when you try to buy the spiderbot)
THE STANDARD:
  • Gunplay seems pretty standard, maybe a little too bullet spongie. I hope there will be very non-gunplay ways to play the game. Some nice gunplay gimmicks here and there.
  • Hacking/Engineering paths look very straightforward - so far I haven't seen any interesting level design on the level of any Deus Ex game where you can truly have different ways to solve an issue, and it's not just a door with a hacking panel on the right and an engineering panel on the left. (Then again, likely just not shown in this demo).
CONS:
  • Really bad menu system art direction - Everything looks cluttered and usually downright ugly, difficult to find the important data, eye straining to look at, loud and has a bad flow (I understand that it's supposed to look like hacking or whatnot, but at the cost of readability and gameplay is a big NO NO).
  • The UI in game is also pretty bad - the colors, font and margins are pretty obtrusive and immersion breaking (the way NPC names pop up when you look around truly ruins the immersion - and it's something that is probably important to keep and not turn off completely for gameplay reasons).
That's about it.
Great job overall - if the scale of the game is as big as it's advertised, it will definitely be a gem.
So far it looks very playable for people who like shooters, but I hope other 'non shooting' paths will be shown in the future.

Maelstrom have shit compartmentalization for handling suspect material. Take a cred-chip and use it w/o first scanning it? I thought these guys were clued up on implants etc? Yeah no. Idiots. Would have been better if there was no sign an incursion was about to take place.

Well, it's clearly shown that, as hardened and creepy they are, they're obviously over-confident (laughting at Dex', while having their ass kicked over by the "losers" he sent them a seconds later), and it's clearly shown that they're using drugs, so I guess mixing drug abuse and over confidence when you're dealing with stealing corporate convoy may only have one kind of output...

The Maelstrom are addicted to cyberware, but beyond that they're just casual gangers, drugged and so emporewered they actually lower they guard (who the fuck would go there to piss them off? like seriously, even yourself, the character, thought it was a better idea to talk first...).

That's kinda the reason why Corporates aren't sniffing crack all day, it avoid a loooots of shitty mistakes, like not using your cyber-avast-antivirus :p hahaha

> Needs to feel and look more human and heavy animations because this feels like old animation maneuvers, not so much high end new tech.

I can second this as an area for improvement. A lot of the movement and action reminded me of Unreal Tournament or Doom...and less of a weighty, realistic movement scheme. Top speed could be reigned in and some animation "drift" could be used to give both people and vehicles a sense of fighting momentum.

I'm tempted to add a caveat about work-in-progress, but these types of gameplay mechanics are usually some of the first things to be developed and "finalized" (usually long before stuff like graphics and sound are focused on). Therefore, I think it's a worthy argument! (I'll say right now, though, that having it work as we were shown wouldn't ruin my day. :))

Probably, the most controversial thing is the choice to make the combat "hp-number-based", with digits flying around and hp bars shrinking instead of more realistic variations.

Also something I think can be an option. The flying numbers (while becoming a stock-standard, industry norm), are something that I've always found to be rather silly. I have to agree about the health bar, too. For myslef, I either fail to pay attention to it, or I find it distracting.

Hopefully, there will be options to disable such features, or (even better) use alternative features.

I think the amount of bloodspray and vocalization of pain could be used to exhibit the amount of damage being inflicted. Small spits of blood or sparks for light damage, sizeable sprays or showers of sparks for heavier damage; grunts and "oofs" could start becoming yelps and hollers of pain.

For character damage, I like systems like the red border that intensifies (ala CoD), increasing heartbeat and dulled sound (like in Dragon's Dogma), or adding a slight wobble and brief "blur-pulse" or "fadeout" (like one of my favorite Skyrim mods).

Hi. here's my feedback:

-FPS is the best choice for the game, but some animations could be improved, like when the character jump through windows/covers. It could be more than just a camera movement upwards.

- Driving and shooting in FPS is amazing, but It should have a more realistic response when the character get shot and the aim is too stable for someone who's in a car.

-HUD: I saw no problem in it and I really liked the chosen colors

* Personal Request: 1 - Please, don't forget to give attention to the PsychoSquad. I loved how they were portraied in the first teaser. Would be a pity to see them out of the game or just used as cosmetic stuff to the city.

2- Cyberpunk is not cyberpunk without a chinatown (just kidding, but I really think that a Chinatown is indispensable)

- Amazing Visuals: When the E3 trailer arrived I was as little apprehensive because of the sunny colorful visual. But in this demo it was so much better and for me, it worked, and I really love your vision of cyberpunk, but it would be interesting to add some dirty and poor areas like these (also some streets where we could see really tall skylines):

Really hope the best for you guys. Without doubt your game will be amazing and groundbreaking.

Best

Attachments

• chris-kesler-gits-citystreet.jpg
    chris-kesler-gits-citystreet.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 100
  • dostoprimechatelnosti-kitaia-v-arhitekture-26.jpg
    dostoprimechatelnosti-kitaia-v-arhitekture-26.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 125
  • sun_city_entrance_by_freemind93-d79w5ng.jpg
    sun_city_entrance_by_freemind93-d79w5ng.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 166
  • headphones_by_andreewallin-d5qblxo.jpg
    headphones_by_andreewallin-d5qblxo.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 90
  • ixas5aremj7hzjahkvkz.jpg
    ixas5aremj7hzjahkvkz.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1502384_216172095236962_1554887063_o.jpg
    1502384_216172095236962_1554887063_o.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 83
I'll copypaste from the locked thread...

Gripes first:
- Combat looks pretty bad. No, really. It looks worse than I expected and I already had low expectations. Just like any regular shooter.
- Smart guns really are just "auto-hit" guns. They look lame.
- The dialog does feel forced and times and the voiceactors are overacting, especially that corp chick.
- Health regen spotted.
- Skilltests are hardgated.
- Dialog options still highlight the "right responses" to go forward.
- Very few dialog options.
- No skillchecks in dialog (at least not shown).
- Very "GTA meets Deus Ex" feel and vibe, that feels like a mismatch in this particular case and lowers the sense of freshness down to something one could describe "Just another clone of [insert game]".
- Questmarkers pulling you from the nose to your destination... but I suppose they are required in such a cluttered place.

The good things:
- It does look good graphically.
- The ambient music's good.
- The streets look good and crowded.
- If the quests and reactivity are as they advertise, it's solid.
- Night City looks like a sort of fun place to explore.
- The dialog system itself looks like it has potential.
- The world and item interaction options feel like there's a lot of potential.
- There was a nice atmosphere.

That's it for starters. I have to rewatch it.

All in all, I'm sorry to say that that was a surprisingly (or perhaps not) tame and unremarkable for all the press hype that was given.

I agree for the good things and mostly for the gripes. I have mixed feelings with the combat system. Even though i feel it's okay for me since i'm not looking for a game which is a fast faced first person shooter, having a system with slow motion features doesn't mind me, since i'm looking for an RPG but ... I fully understand that kind of choice may dissapoint players and there should be a feature in the gameplay settings that changes that. The "capped health regen" i've also seen in the video : this should be set with game difficulty settings.

Skillchecks : well, in some dialogues it may be good to have some sort of "etiquette" skill (like in the tabletop game) and i agree with the skilltest which i feel should have a value where there is a 100% chance success, decreasing if not met and not possible below some point. For example in the video where it's possible to hack a gate, where hacking requirement is Level 5. At this level, there is 100% chance of success, could be 75 at level 4, 50 at level 3, 25 at level 2, not possible if only level 1.

For the smart guns, i feel there is some things to balance here since it's extremely accurate but consistent with the Cyberpunk universe, maybe by dealing low damage, low ammunition and/or ammunition difficult to get.

For the dialogues, i see this is a work in progress so i don't have much to say, except that i feel that they are in "Witcher's 3 style, which i loke"

Hey CDPR! You have made me so hyped by the gameplay demo that I can not think straight now about anything else! :)

The gameplay looks fantastic, the world is so detailed and lifelike, I couldn't imagine you will go that far.

As some ideas/questions:
- The gunplay feels cool, however in the video it didn't feel like there was any feedback on it. Think another big open-world game with guns, where people when get shot they react to that somehow - fall, hold their limbs, etc. Also, the power of the gun - CS is cool and all, but when shooting a high-caliber thing you get recoil and a hit. Will there be a "feel" to the power of the gun?
- Loot - the video showed us some boxes and guns found around. However, can we stick to "less is better", so we could actually enjoy finding a great weapon, mod it and rely on it? Minimize the "munchkin", powerful things MUST be rare, hard to mod and finding the "right weapon" should affect gameplay. What I mean is if found a shotgun early game the experience for a major part is one, but on the second run instead of the shotgun a silenced pistol rolls out, which forces me as a player for other tactics and strategy. Ultimately, each player will make the story based on the weapons the manage to get and not just have ALL of them.

Wanted to make usefull feedback for CDPR. Hope, they will se it.

your New game is sometheing the whole gaming community haven`t seen for a long time.

Your vision of Cyberpank is ok, there is no one, who can exactly tell, what is Cyberpunk. Fans have lots of disputes on how it should look like, and what features it should have. Even the commonly first origin of this ganre - writers william gibson and bruce sterling (i think them) didn`t make dystopia. So the ganre is in development.

the game world is outstanding! hope you will add more little thigns to give this place atmosphere , where people really leave. broken tiles on streets, talking companies... hope some talks will open secret missions...

the city gives you feeling of the overpopulated, where high teck is sometheing so close. Well done. But I understand, why you repeat "game is in development" because it is a lot of work to make all levels playeble.

very interesting, how you made contryside. I bet there are lots of unclassical greenhouses, where corps grow human organs for the most wealthy, who want to leave whith natural human body or hide their personality from hackers. Maybe the player will be able to hide him this way and use hacking to destroy corporations anonymously, taking missions on killing and spying. giving some information to people, who are usefull for corps and they will do thinks we told them to do.... ooooh.

FPV was a good idea, since body upgrading is so worked out, it gives you the feeling of being in the game, I mean vick really installs that eye into you. whoa!!! People show off, that game should be 3rd person. cut scenes give enough of view of your character

all the combination of gun boosters is very powerfull.. maybe too much. don`t know, how everything will look like when fully upgraded, but i hope, it will not look like cheat. Not interesting to play when you see through the walls and bullets fly towards the target itself. maybe if opponent sometimes will know where you are and tell his people... it will add balance.

different variants of solving tasks is soooo good, if it really gives you something in future gaming, it will be just awesome!

I am sure, you should pay more attention in ads and posters someway on variability of passing through misions and whole game. It is very strong feature of youre games. Hope you`ll make lots of money

some bugs i`ve noticed in gameplay video:
3:36 jack moved unnaturally
16:28 strange camera moves after talk. back to guy and out again
24:29car door closed before v pulled his hand
41:50voice after behaded

i hope cars will drift on high speed

personally loved it, really looking forward to it.
if i had to nitpick, only things that bothered me was the water effect when you dunked the scav underwater looked a bit weak, but that could be unfinished.
and car drived a little too smooth, just a little more roughness or feedback would be good.

also i don't agree with ppl saying combat doesn't look like it has enough feedback, i wasn't expecting it to play like doom/destiny.
im more about the options ill have in combat.
after all Fallout 4 improved its shooting but steered away from being an RPG and suffered for it imo

i pretty much loved everything else, and hope its not too far away.

More interested now than I was before. I haven't played a CDPR game before and I've been anxious to see more since the teaser years ago. I'm hoping this gets mod support as well

I'm still fangirling so I can't really give any constructive criticism yet I'm still excited about actually getting to see it lol.

Not much really stood out as that bad, some of the animations looked a little janky, like Jackie pushing the car in the boss fight for cover, but overall I'm really enjoying the video and I've watched it like 5 or 6 times already :)

I like how you guys setting a bar in a different game genres for other video game companies. Btw maybe few Johnny Silverhand tracks for melomans before release? ^^
long-john-silver-treasure-planet.jpg

The only thing that bothers me right now about the demo is, Jackie. Jackie appears to be a Latino presumably of Mexican descent, and yet he looks white-washed? I know there are Latinx out there that mixed or not, have Caucasian features, but for sake of keeping the diversity Jackie is a POC, he can have some more color to him. Love the demo overall though, can't wait for the final touches during launch.

Top Bottom