Gameplay Reveal — 48-minute walkthrough

+
Man that was sweet. I actually didn't believe I'd see a gameplay video this soon but hey I take it. That no loading screen is impressive and considering Witcher 3 I think you guys will nail on the launch version.

Hey,
thanks cdpr for sharing it (y)

Edit - short feedback:

positive:
- detailed huge city
- fluent transitions in story
- actions look like have impact
- loot didn't look like some manually placed treasures, but rather naturally arranged and guarded - in the case of the hideout

notes in between:
- I think I spotted walking patterns in the crowd - like 3 npc going just in line, one after other - are there some paths defined for them ?
- I don't see CP (genre) to be complete with real world logic and to be transferable to video game format - I suggest to focus also on global(high level) scale of morale, city and everything... Who would want to live in a city, where you can get killed every single minute ? Does like every npc have implanted everything ? Is all the city on the drugs and in cyberpsychos ? etc.. make it more...human/give player time to breath/not everywhere should be disgustingly humiliated bodies,...

negative:
- quite (unnecessarily) disgusting (many times in) gameplay - I thought I will throw up sometimes - I suggest more to focus also on life and positivness
- combat is...bad - automated guns are just press to hit target; action is just counterstrike deathmatch 5v5; I like the speeding drugs though :)

I think that this is surely something revolutionary and I hope there are also some calm, soulful moments; and while world looks all alive, I would like to see it turned down for what matters the most :)

Last edited:
Great Demo, but if you are going for immersion in first person, then can you make it so that you actually see the characters arms reach out and open doors, flip switches, and pick up items instead of just pressing a button on the controller and the door opens and items magically appear in your inventory. When you have this much immersion in 2018, it makes no sense that little things like this are not included, as it pulls you out of an otherwise immersive experience. Even Mirros Edge had this and it was released years ago. Lastly since it is first person, any chance of a PSVR version?

Lots of complaints about the combat but from the video it seems pretty good to me. Watching a demo is always going to be different from actual gameplay because they cant have the player die during the demonstration. That is likely one reason why it seems like the player is just running around shooting people, because there is no real danger of dying. Another example of this is in RAGE 2's gameplay demo when the player is running and gunning with seemingly no thought. Another thing is that the guns seem like to have weight to them, unlike some other shooters. When someone got shot in the demo, it looked pretty solid. Also using the environment seems to be a big thing too, like shooting the car to have it fall off of the crane thing (I dont know what its called lol. And last thing, I think that the graphics look amazing, but to those who found it a little lackluster keep in mind that youtube's compression won't provide the same quality as viewing it first hand on your own screen. Last thing for real this time, I agree the HUD could use some work and the way to select dialog seems a little wonky. I wonder how it will work with a keyboard. Thanks for reading and would love to discuss further :)

I just want to say thank you for showing this to us and thank you for taking your time. I love the fact that you guys are so transparent and honest with us it really builds a sense of trust which you don't get with other devs.

And about the trailer it looked amazing all the tiny details, the sound effects and animations I loved every bit of it. Only gripe I had is driving looks a bit wonky. Other than that it's just mind blowing!

Would've been neat if there was an ability to intearct with all those [NC Citizen]'s, [Dirt Boy]'s and such. Pickpocketing, intimidating, small (very basic) chatter and such. But there was no prompt, just the tags, so I suppose that kind of thing isn't on the menu.

Ok watched it twice now.

Looks good.

But I am not as overwhelmed as I thought I would be.

For all the huge praise it got from the people who saw the demo at E3 I was expecting a little more.

Lets go through what I think are the Pros and Cons...

Pro:
- While the grafics still need some work (textures) you can already tell this will look great in the end (new PC here I come).
- Soundtrack already has a really nice feel to it (this better be in the Collectors Edition).
- World looks great. That could be a game you can really spend hundreds of hours in.
- Combat looks fine enough. Even if it ends up like CoD at least that means its not terrible (Hello Bethesda!).
- Missions seem to give decent freedom on how to approach them (I hope this stays for the rest of the game).
- Dialog/Characters. As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s (I am 40 next year ^^) this is the stuff I like.
- Seems to stay true enough to the Pen-and-Paper RPG.

Cons:
- Cars/Driving. This part really feels forced in instead of natural.
- There is nothing really "new". Everything we see in the demo has in some way been done before (Dialog, Combat, Takedowns, etc.). It looks like a nice combination of good things but for a game that we hope to be the next big step in gaming I thought at least one thing would surprise me.

Conclusion: Looks good. Want to play it. Hope to see more soon.

For my taste, the character seemed a bit too defined by the dialogue and voice acting. I'd honestly have preferred no dialogue to prescriptive dialogue. Additionally, it was implied that the player character had sex with the other character shown. I didn't see any dialogue choice there or any such options at player creation. Does this just happen to anyone playing a woman or did I just miss something?

On a smaller note, I wish we could have seen some non-gun combat.

The combat looks like a WoW raid

After watching the 48 minute gameplay reveal I loved the atmosphere. I love the characters, the environment, the dialogue. But I can't be immersed in a game world when I'm STARING AT THE HEALTH BAR in every fight rather than looking at the enemy itself. Why does a shirtless guy need a full clip from an energy pistol to die? That's not fun, its tedious. Immediately all the oomph and excitement you get from firing your weapon is gone.

The reason why this is considered a 'necessary evil' is because of difficulty. If every enemy died realistically you could blast your way through everything. However, there are a lot of other ways to compensate for that difficulty. First off is lower health - if the enemies die realistically, so do you. Maybe have a moderate shield like in Halo but very low actual health. Scarce ammo can be one way, making your shots actually count and punch through your enemy like a real shot with the drawback of having to pick your moments and limit your resource consumption. Cerebral combat is another, having combat go deeper than shotgun if close, rifle if far, rocket if vehicle. Instead you could make base enemies have a small personal shield that can be taken out in a number of ways (bullets, hacking, EMP, overload, electric-based weaponry) and then the enemy dies to a shot or two after the shield is disposed of.

Picking your highest DPS rifle and watching a health bar decrease = UNSATISFYING

Knocking out the enemy squad's personal shields with an EMP grenade and then dispatching them with a few rounds of well placed shots = SATISFYING

The graphics in this game and the worldbuilding looks amazing, great job! Unfortunately, with the current type of combat it seems impossible to feel immersed in the game, and without that feeling of immersion no amount of pretty graphics can make the Cyberpunk 2077 world feel REAL.

Last edited:
But I can't be immersed in a game world when I'm STARING AT THE HEALTH BAR in every fight rather than looking at the enemy itself. Why does a shirtless guy need a full clip from an energy pistol to die? That's not fun, its tedious. Immediately all the oomph and excitement you get from firing your weapon is gone.

Same line of thinking otherwise, but I'm still of the opinion that the hardship should come from the character being able to pull off those damaging hits (character skill distortion to accuracy). Not grinding down shields or HP, but trying to pull off focused shots/bursts as well as the character is able at a given stage.

Way, way less of that run'n gun grind and more tactical (and RPG stats based) approach.

I also change my mind after all. When taking a nice stroll outdoors, FPP just doesn't seem convincing.

Okay. Now THAT looks smooth as butter. Dunno much about shooters but V's movement looked too stiff. Would probably feel different when being on the reins
How do you feel about enemy AI? I think that's one area that improvements can be made.

The encounters felt cinematic. Enemy placements, dialogues.. felt like they could be easily exploited to make you feel smart.

Over all I think the current build is just still another game that turns you into a bad-ass twitch ninja that couldn't come across any hardships in fights when prepared.. or maybe it's the high level gameplay indeed. I'm hoping for something slower in pace on release in which you have give time to re-think about your tactics mid fight or for the next room because: 1. you shouldn't be a bullet sponge and 2: enemies could have had better tactics.

Moving cars look weird.. Imo it ruins the immersion because they look unrealistic. From the trailer 25:15 mark you can see how the cars move wat faster than normal. When the corporate people leave at 30:30 mark you can see the same thing.

After seeing it, I totally agree with the first person choice. It felt much more immersive. And the crowds of people and how everyone was doing something instead of just standing around was so cool.

Also, I like that the narrator kept telling us that we could do things in different ways instead of just running up and shooting everyone all the time. I, for one, always want a less up-front violent way of doing things in games.

I am curious on how easy it is to learn how hacking works. From what we saw here, it looked a little confusing to me. I assume there is some sort of crash course on hacking, yeah?

My biggest concern is with the character creation.
It seemed really basic for the character design, and I hope to see more customization. Perhaps sliders to adjust features as opposed to 10 options. But, if the options are done really well, it's fine if you stick with it. Hard to say since we can't see it all yet~
The choice of backstory really concerns me here. Does it have anything to do with the actual game or is it just a way to make you feel closer to your character? If it doesn't change the game in any way, I'd say get rid of it completely. We can easily make our own backstories for our character if we want to without a a small handful of prompts. It's such a letdown to pick a bunch of things for your character that don't actually do anything within the story when you start the game. Also, childhood hero is really a bad choice because I have no idea who any of those people are prior playing the game (also since I've never played 2020, if it's a reference to that.)
I think the feel of the creation layout is nice. It looks like we are looking at some kind of record of V. Is this a criminal record? Who has these files on V? I feel like really paying attention to who has this record on her will help in the character creation. A cop, for instance isn't gonna give a crap about her childhood hero or that she has something to prove in Night City. You guys should think about it from the record holders view and let us pick what the record says. What information would a cop be able to have access to on V that would be of actual importance?
Maybe like... Have it set up to where whoever has this record is filling it out about V. Maybe a ripperdoc is examining V and putting in the information so they can keep tabs on them for if they see them later. It could be a medical record, or a criminal record... or whatever else kind of record you guys can think of.
I dunno, just throwing out ideas right now. But, it's the coolest thing ever when games make the character creation immersive as well.

I am excited to see more though~ Great job, guys!

Thank you for releasing the gameplay demo, CD Projekt RED. It's truly awesome!
However, there are couple of things that I haven't liked in the demo.
My first and the biggest gripe is the hitpoints over the enemies' heads. I hope this dmg representation method will be changed, tweaked or may be turned off since in its current state it looks just too game-y and doesn't fit the style and overall mature aesthetic of CP2077 (it was fitting in a bananas game such as Borderlands), and thus breaks immersion. I like the system that was present in Witcher 2 and 3 where hitpoints were presented at the side of the screen.
My second gripe is of more subjective nature. Since the game has been advertised as immersive, I half-expected to see animations of V actually picking up stuff and pressing buttons with her hands, which would be a step up over other FPP cyberpunk games like Deus Ex.
Other than that, everything looks like I've imagined and what I've been hoping for. I can't wait till I can finally play the game upon release.

Top Bottom