Gameplay Reveal — 48-minute walkthrough

+
Nightcity has no disabled people? no beggars? Feels like Beverly Hills after a global cotton shortage....WHERE VIOLENCE AND OPPRESSION ARE THE NORM. That girls top is simply to *die for*. Everyone has state sponsored gym memberships.
Rewatch the beginning of the demo when 'V' exits her apartment, there's a guy on a scooter.

And take a look after the car chase/shootout when 'V' pulls over, homeless people sleeping on the curb.

I've never been excited for a game release. I'd agree the HUD and gameplay needs some tweaks, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I've gotta get my ticket asap for this Hype-Train.

Looks pretty damn sick to me. I love how they made a "Kang-Tao" a collectable weapon...BWAHAHA! Lucky it didn't blow up! (Research your C.P 2020 lore for more on this.).

Nothing I like more than wrestling with twitch-strafing and a finnicky leaning system, because I have yet to see a developer utilize leaning mechanics properly, and I've been gaming for a damn long time.

Guest 3573786

Nothing I like more than wrestling with twitch-strafing and a finnicky leaning system, because I have yet to see a developer utilize leaning mechanics properly, and I've been gaming for a damn long time.
How 'bout RtCW or NOLF2?

RED UI Overlay

"Rescue the Girl" "Scavenger hideout"
That faint red UI overlay is UNREADABLE for older people. Put in the Main Menu --> OPTIONS an option for us to change the color coding of ALL of that faint red UI layer into same intensity light blue, light yellow , maybe also add a #FFFFFF field, where we can input our favorite color that doesn't strain our eyes.

OR ELSE

I'm not buying a game that has a UI that I cannot read and would severely strain my eyes.

I hope a LOT of older potential customers are of the same opinion as me!

Looks amazing so far! I saw the destructible environments during combat. CDPR listened to our feedback!

Purchasing this Day 1!

The roads in the demo looked a bit bland and generic to me sadly. Hopefully this is fixed in the final product.

Damn.... just... damn!

OK, this game just cements my opinion that visually this game is going to be perfect. They absolutely get the look and the atmosphere 100% on point, to create a perfect feeling of being in the world of Cyberpunk. From the highly individualized cyberware seen on the NPC's, to the contrast of high tech with lowlife, it's simply flawless. The mechanical and character designs had my jaw dropping, and for the first half of the video I was drooling, mouth agape and in absolute awe...

Sadly, the second half of the video was a punch to the gut that wiped the grin off my face.

Even before the combat began, the narrator (who seems to have difficulty with pronunciation) was talking about levels. Levels have no place in Cyberpunk, they are not part of the original RPG's mechanics and they never were.

Also, my other non-mechanical gripe... the arm blades. I don't want my character to have them, and am extremely disappointed that it appears I will have no choice and that they are mandatory. The beginning of the game goes on and on about the superior customization and the ability to create unique characters, then it appears that it's going to force everyone to have the same cyber.

Now on to the big problems, combat... The combat mechanics shown are truly disappointing. Here is why...

Combat Mechanic Problem 1
The enemy NPC's are bullet sponges. The number one reason the original games mechanics were so popular was due to how incredibly deadly combat was. In this demo we have beginner level NPC's soaking up entire magazines of bullets. They wear no apparent armor, yet V unloads on them with a small trucks worth of ammo. A shot to the head should take most enemies flat out. Shots to the limbs should disable, shots to the torso should stun or have some effect. Also the hit/damage counters we see completely destroy immersion, this is an unnecessary video game mechanic that just feels out of place here.

Problem 2
The weapon design is more cartoon than cyberpunk. The first gun we see was fine, though I would prefer a semi-auto. The second weapon though, who performs that kind of modification on a double barrel shotgun? It would be like putting a V8 on a moped. But that's a minor problem, other than it is apparently the only weapon that can one shot, and does it at pretty much any distance.

Problem 3
The bullets that track targets..... they were almost ok in Runaway, where at least they were treated as miniature missiles. They were ridiculous in Fifth Element, which took place in a future so advanced that interstellar travel took place in a matter of hours. This concept is way more star trek than cyberpunk. Also, see problem 1.

Problem 4
Double Jump.... REALLY! This is cartoon nonsense? I was going to remain optimistic, but seeing it in action, all I can say is, NO! This kind of completely unrealistic, logic and physics denying, hoohah, has no place in Cyberpunk. Hell, it has no place in any video game that tries to pretend in any way to be realistic. Leg implants that that allow for higher than normal jumps, no problem, even allowing the character to "charge up for a mega jump", coolio. But there is no amount of reasoning that can be given for being able to suddenly "jump higher" and even change direction, mid jump. It takes me out of the immersion completely and drops me solidly into a late 90's platformer.

Problem 5
There is absolutely nothing that can be seen in this demo that requires first person perspective. If the issue is the optical implants, then fine, force the perspective to zoom in to first when they are in use, the same as if the character was aiming through a scope. But the idea that this decision was made to make the game more realistic, more immersive, flies right out the window the second the "double jump" or the "hit/damage counter" mechanics pop up.

Problem 6
Boss battles! Not only is there the awful "enemies are bullet sponges" mechanic, but now you are telling me there are going to be "can only be defeated via very specific nonsense method or just ridiculous amounts of damage" boss battles? My hatred for this mechanic knows no bounds. It utterly ruined Deus Ex, hell it utterly ruins any game it is a part of after 2005. You see the enemy, his face and upper torso are completely uncovered, yet he is somehow untouchable until you shoot the magic target spot. This is weak game design and unnecessary. At no point in the game should we EVER come across an enemy that does not adhere to the same rules as the Player Character. There is nothing in the original RPG, neither thematically or mechanically, that supports this. This is Cyberpunk, not Dungeons and Dragons.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a dream come true for me. It is so close to being perfect. To see what appears to be the most incomprehensible mistakes being made just baffles me. The look and feel is so, just so bloody flawlessly Cyberpunk 2020, that it's beauty brings tears to my eyes. As I said elsewhere, visually, this is the best game I have ever seen. I don't make these criticisms to bring the game down. I bring them up because I really hope, I pray, that it's not too late to address some of these mechanical issues that would otherwise make this game just perfect.

Damn.... just... damn!

OK, this game just cements my opinion that visually this game is going to be perfect. They absolutely get the look and the atmosphere 100% on point, to create a perfect feeling of being in the world of Cyberpunk. From the highly individualized cyberware seen on the NPC's, to the contrast of high tech with lowlife, it's simply flawless. The mechanical and character designs had my jaw dropping, and for the first half of the video I was drooling, mouth agape and in absolute awe...

Sadly, the second half of the video was a punch to the gut that wiped the grin off my face.

Even before the combat began, the narrator (who seems to have difficulty with pronunciation) was talking about levels. Levels have no place in Cyberpunk, they are not part of the original RPG's mechanics and they never were.

Also, my other non-mechanical gripe... the arm blades. I don't want my character to have them, and am extremely disappointed that it appears I will have no choice and that they are mandatory. The beginning of the game goes on and on about the superior customization and the ability to create unique characters, then it appears that it's going to force everyone to have the same cyber.

Now on to the big problems, combat... The combat mechanics shown are truly disappointing. Here is why...

The enemy NPC's are bullet sponges. The number one reason the original games mechanics were so popular was due to how incredibly deadly combat was. In this demo we have beginner level NPC's soaking up entire magazines of bullets. They wear no apparent armor, yet V unloads on them with a small trucks worth of ammo. A shot to the head should take most enemies flat out. Shots to the limbs should disable, shots to the torso should stun or have some effect. Also the hit/damage counters we see completely destroy immersion, this is an unnecessary video game mechanic that just feels out of place here.

Problem 2
The weapon design is more cartoon than cyberpunk. The first gun we see was fine, though I would prefer a semi-auto. The second weapon though, who performs that kind of modification on a double barrel shotgun? It would be like putting a V8 on a moped. But that's a minor problem, other than it is apparently the only weapon that can one shot, and does it at pretty much any distance.

Problem 3
The bullets that track targets..... they were almost ok in Runaway, where at least they were treated as miniature missiles. They were ridiculous in Fifth Element, which took place in a future so advanced that interstellar travel took place in a matter of hours. This concept is way more star trek than cyberpunk. Also, see problem 1.

Problem 4
Double Jump.... REALLY! This is cartoon nonsense? I was going to remain optimistic, but seeing it in action, all I can say is, NO! This kind of completely unrealistic, logic and physics denying, hoohah, has no place in Cyberpunk. Hell, it has no place in any video game that tries to pretend in any way to be realistic. Leg implants that that allow for higher than normal jumps, no problem, even allowing the character to "charge up for a mega jump", coolio. But there is no amount of reasoning that can be given for being able to suddenly "jump higher" and even change direction, mid jump. It takes me out of the immersion completely and drops me solidly into a late 90's platformer.

Problem 5
There is absolutely nothing that can be seen in this demo that requires first person perspective. If the issue is the optical implants, then fine, force the perspective to zoom in to first when they are in use, the same as if the character was aiming through a scope. But the idea that this decision was made to make the game more realistic, more immersive, flies right out the window the second the "double jump" or the "hit/damage counter" mechanics pop up.

Problem 6
Boss battles! Not only is there the awful "enemies are bullet sponges" mechanic, but now you are telling me there are going to be "can only be defeated via very specific nonsense method or just ridiculous amounts of damage" boss battles? My hatred for this mechanic knows no bounds. It utterly ruined Deus Ex, hell it utterly ruins any game it is a part of after 2005. You see the enemy, his face and upper torso are completely uncovered, yet he is somehow untouchable until you shoot the magic target spot. This is weak game design and unnecessary. At no point in the game should we EVER come across an enemy that does not adhere to the same rules as the Player Character. There is nothing in the original RPG, neither thematically or mechanically, that supports this. This is Cyberpunk, not Dungeons and Dragons.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a dream come true for me. It is so close to being perfect. To see what appears to be the most incomprehensible mistakes being made just baffles me. The look and feel is so, just so bloody flawlessly Cyberpunk 2020, that it's beauty brings tears to my eyes. As I said elsewhere, visually, this is the best game I have ever seen. I don't make these criticisms to bring the game down. I bring them up because I really hope, I pray, that it's not too late to address some of these mechanical issues that would otherwise make this game just perfect.

OK, couple of things. :)

First off, I've actually had the "Levels above me" in real life. It usually refers to social strata but sometimes to skill. "Above my pay grade" would be a similar thing. Date a movie star? She's way above my level. Fist fight a professional MMA guy? Way above my level. That sort of thing, and it was around long before games.

Second, the arm blades. They said that they were changing into a much more powerful character for that last bit and with that came much more cyber. Easy to miss this in the commentary, though, as there is lots going on. I do not think we all have to have those blades, they were just showing off something cool.

Point 1-6: I agree with everything here. In fact I was trying to think of how to express this, but Ill let your comments stand as to that. Well put.

- Shane

Watch 48 minutes of official 2018 gameplay from Cyberpunk 2077 and get a glimpse into the world of perils and possibilities that is Night City — the most vibrant and dangerous metropolis of the future.

This video contains work-in-progress gameplay — everything you see is potentially subject to change.

Damn, your animation department outdid themselves. One small scene in particular got me pretty giddy. The scene with the Trauma team, they act, walk, and move like the real deal. I can almost guarantee you they got real military guys doing the motion capture for them. Even the way you guys animated them picking up that stretcher, using their legs instead of their backs, it's like all so spot on... So much attention to detail in their outfits as well. Anyone else notice all of those "handles" on their outfit? Like on the back of their body armor or even their shoulders? Anyone know what they are for? Those are actually on real body armor, plate carriers, tactical vests, etc. and they are for if you're injured and are on the ground one of your teammates can quicking get to you and drag you by one of those to cover or concealment where they can render aid.

About their movement, specifically how they isolate the movements of their legs so that them walking don't affect their aim that much, you can see it in the foot work. Tucking the gun into their shoulders, elbows down and not sticking out, everything is so awesome.

I love little attention to the little details that most people would miss.

I can't say I'm surprised at some of the knee-jerk reactions some people have over this gameplay reveal, way to prove to the world that it might actually have been a mistake for CDPR to show gameplay of a game that is still in ALPHA (if that) to the general public.

Seeing people write things like: the buildings are not tall enough, the HUD is not my favorite color, why did the man playing the game not drive at 100mph in the game??? it felt too slow!!, why do the textures look like that, why aren't all the animations completely finished, and so on and so forth is making my head spin.

Get this into your heads: this game will not be specifically tailored to your every want and need. It will not look exactly like you imagined. It will not have every single gameplay element that you imagined. It's their vision of it and you should make an effort and respect that, not go on a childish rant about how "it looks like any other FPS!".

And related to that, it really doesn't look like anything else. Rather it looks like a combination of everything great done in FPS games, open world games, RPGs, all put together into one polished game. A lot of people say the graphics aren't impressive, that couldn't be further from the truth. The graphics, for a first person open world game, are really very good.

What other game RIGHT NOW looks like this given the scope of it? You can name some strictly FPS games, you can name some story-based games, but not a full-fledged RPG like this. You guys need to chill out with your expectations. It already seems like it might not run on current consoles (PS4, Xbox One) without a downgrade.

Also, to the people seriously complaining about healthbars, damage numbers and other things... in an RPG... are you for real? I'm sure you can turn the HUD off in the menu or mod it. Also, it's not immersion breaking because your protagonist is literally augmented.

It's shocking that even though CDPR put a gigantic WORK IN PROGRESS text on the video, there are still people that complain about the tell-tale signs of a work in progress game... And again, criticism is not "I hate it because I don't like the color of the HUD" or "I hate it because it doesn't look like I imagined."
Come to think of it, the only good criticism is regarding the dialogue choices, in that it could help to remove the highlighting of the story-advancement options and just leave them all the same.

All in all, the gameplay looks great, the world looks great and the game looks great. I haven't had this feeling when seeing a new game since half life 2 came out or gta 4 came out. Both of those games, to me, felt very next-gen in what they were doing and how they were advancing the way games play. I feel the same way about cyberpunk 2077 now after seeing the gameplay.

Keep doing what you're doing CDPR. Take all the "criticism" from the public with a grain of salt and please, PLEASE, do not try to cater to every single person on this planet. Do your own thing. A lot of us have great faith in you guys and we know it's gonna be a great game.

Omg, this and fucking this again. Some people here are so entitled and nitpicky, it's ridiculous.
Plus, the narrator said about 5 TIMES throughout the video that it's a WIP and subject to change.

Hi new user here
sorry in advance if I say anything already on another topic
just wanted to express my thoughts

I just want to congratulate yalls entire team, you know you deserve it!
whatever it is you're doing. KEEP doing it. What a way to link the envelope
it's seriously hard to find anything wrong with it but i'm sure yall have heard it enough

I am curious about little things
explanation of animals?
can I kill Jackie/Allies?
the extent of hacking compared to shooting (Nier Automata?, or something completely diff)
will there be puzzles of any sort? environment, grid, etc.
am i restricted to my own gang or could i join someone?

I don't know if this is something that's been done before but instead of going to look for a quest
integrate a way for random/unknown npc's to approach you, based off small/unknown/specific actions
being a regular in a diner, what class you exceed in, or leave breadcrumbs(coins, data, etc.) in the streets for a possible new interaction

i don't know the hardship of these types of things
design, modeling, voice actors, and every other team involved
but again just wanted to appreciate and give some feedback

I liked what I saw and have very high hopes for this game, I just hope the dev team doesn't get influenced by the recent controversy with the PR team or those bullshit interviews.

By the way did anyone else notice the jiggle physics and deformation on the naked chick's breasts?
Not trying to be some immature perv here, but unlike 100% of western games today, the breasts aren't made of stone and they not only get affected by gravity, but they also get deformed and what not when moved, they seemed real.
Did CDPR "borrow" Dead or Alive's Soft Engine to do that?

Make the optional mission in different color like this

https://i.imgur.com/Ne840UT.png << original image size
kiki.png

Last edited:
I bring them up because I really hope, I pray, that it's not too late to address some of these mechanical issues that would otherwise make this game just perfect.
You can't satisfy all of them, but where you can...then why not?
There is only going to be one version of this game; it can't be all things to all people. Don't like double jump? Too bad. Don't like fpp? Too bad. Don't like the hud? Whatever.
So instead of picking apart the things that don't quite meet your criteria for the perfect game why don't you think about how fortunate we will be to play a game that is as awesome as this game appears to be in the making.

It is a common trait among people to note what they don't have and under appreciate what they do have.

Problem 2

Problem 3

Problem 4

Problem 5

Problem 6

Very much agreed.

Even if we might have different ideas of how to fix certain things.

Thankfuly this is all still "work in progress" and "subject to change", as they say, so perhaps there's still a chance for something.
Never wait for miracles, though.

Last edited:
Had a blast watching this video. Well first of all let me say that I usually never post comments. But as I experienced this exciting gameplay-video with all this details in this huge and dangerous city I was absolutely overwhelmed. The setting is new and fresh (last time in the 90´s played syndicate was alike). The character as shown in the video is interesting and I wanna know more about her. So many options to choose guarantee a long and funny video game time. One question: What about real time weather changings in the game ? If there will be something like different weather situations: Will this have influence on the control of the vehicles maybe ? Really looking forward to this game. Can´t wait to play it. During waiting time I will sketch some pencil drawings from the game cause now I am addicted to this IP. Best wishes for the final phase of development of the game and lots of success for the sales. Curious about the collectors edition cause I had no chance to buy a statue during gamescom. All the best from germany. Veit

Top Bottom