Gameplay Stream Announcement

+
Hmmm, so we will NOT see 70% of the demo.
Are they changing things or hiding things?

I hope it's the first one...

Will there be a vod or will it be posted later on YouTube? Because I work nights and there is no way I'm going to be up at 11am lol

Preeeeety sure there will be lots of recordings of it posted on youtube. Also cdpred will most likely post ot on their youtube channel, the same way they did with last gameplay.

I hope it's the first one...

They cannot really hide things, too many youtubers and journalists saw the full demo and will tell us all about what is missing or changed.

Pure speculation: They might have decided to change some things that didn't get perfect feedback and will instead show the cool stuff + add extensive discussion. Wouldn't blame them at all, but the story about reduced demo to avoid spoilers isn't very believable. However, it might be worse if said truthfully: "we want to rework some elements that were not that well recieved". Press is eager for drama, so that could create a flood of articles in line of "Back to the drawing board: Cyberpunk delayed?" etc. that might hurt them far more. Die hard fans that eat up every little info morsel will still be hyped for the game after this (minor) setback, but if the general public sees the negative headline of the reworked e.g. gunplay, it might stick...

Last edited:
Keep in mind the 50 minute version went through the combat portion of the gameplay twice. Once with a Solo and once with a Netrunner. So I would guess a large portion if that time reduction is only showing one version (since two could get a bit too repetitive for mass public viewing). I believe some reviewers who saw both versions at E3 said some of the more story spoilerish stuff was also absent from the public version. Which makes since. If people want the spoilers then they can read reviews, but keep that out of the mass release.

As unfortunate as it may be that we won't receive the full demo that was shown at E3 earlier this year, I am still excited for this as 15 minutes is better than nothing.

I do think that it most likely is what others have said, that a certain part of the demo was criticized the most by game journalists and a lot of feedback was given on it, resulting in CDPR deciding to cut that part out entirely whilst they work on improving on it.

I think CDPR don't want another Witcher 3 experience to happen, despite the game being one of this generations best games of all time, they got a lot of criticism by fans regarding the visuals when it was changed.

They probably don't want to show off a lot of features that are being changed already as this will cause peoples expectations of the gameplay to be "As shown" in the gameplay trailer, it is why they stressed it enough in the demo last year that things are subject to change, but they are worried showing something else this far along with only a few months left until the game is out, that is already having a major overhaul is understandable and wouldn't make much sense, at least in my opinion.

Keep in mind the 50 minute version went through the combat portion of the gameplay twice. Once with a Solo and once with a Netrunner.

Two very different gameplay, I suppose. Hardly a problem, I believe, because we at least get a good view how diverse the gameplay.

And please take note: we are talking about 1/4 of the showed gameplay, so if you version is correct, then we still have had to speak about around 20-25 minutes of gameplay - not 15 minutes...

And please take note: we are talking about 1/4 of the showed gameplay, so if you version is correct, then we still have had to speak about around 20-25 minutes of gameplay - not 15 minutes...
Like I said, I would guess parts with story spoilers get cut.

Keep in mind the 50 minute version went through the combat portion of the gameplay twice. Once with a Solo and once with a Netrunner. So I would guess a large portion if that time reduction is only showing one version (since two could get a bit too repetitive for mass public viewing). I believe some reviewers who saw both versions at E3 said some of the more story spoilerish stuff was also absent from the public version. Which makes since. If people want the spoilers then they can read reviews, but keep that out of the mass release.

If they present us with only the one approach then it negates everything they've been saying in every interview since E3.

All the devs were saying that this year their goal was to show to the public that besides dialogue choices and important decision choices we could make in the Witcher, now the game also offers gameplay choices unlike the Witcher.

So know you think they're not going to show us that?

If I had to guess, I think we'll see one (probably male netrunner since we've already seen female solo build), and then they'll talk a lot about the different options in the stream. But that's just a guess on what makes the most sense IMO for presentation purposes. I don't have insider knowledge or anything.

I was expecting something more like 20-30 minutes but this should do too. I'm eager to see at the very least the stealthy gameplay, the skill tree and some parts of Pacifica.

And, after this gameplay demo, I'm really looking forward to seeing in a few months the dev diaries :cool: It might be a lot to ask but I hope they do at least one for skills and "classes" (the solo, techie and netrunner paths), one for gangs, one for narrative (characters and story), and one for the districts/regions.

This, the carrot dangling. Now all those yes-men who tried to calm down the audience not able to visit E3 via saying that we’ll see the full demo after Gamescom have changed their tune and claim that it’s actually good that they don’t show the gameplay video in full this time around because of supposed spoilers or because of things that are subject to change thanks to feedback they got from who? Gaming journalists? Since when are they the main target audience?

I agree. This is kinda funny how people are trying to justify this.

They cannot really hide things, too many youtubers and journalists saw the full demo and will tell us all about what is missing or changed.

Pure speculation: They might have decided to change some things that didn't get perfect feedback and will instead show the cool stuff + add extensive discussion. Wouldn't blame them at all, but the story about reduced demo to avoid spoilers isn't very believable. However, it might be worse if said truthfully: "we want to rework some elements that were not that well recieved". Press is eager for drama, so that could create a flood of articles in line of "Back to the drawing board: Cyberpunk delayed?" etc. that might hurt them far more. Die hard fans that eat up every little info morsel will still be hyped for the game after this (minor) setback, but if the general public sees the negative headline of the reworked e.g. gunplay, it might stick...

I think so too. There is no need to show us things that they will either change anyways or are not comfortable showing to the public.

The Madqueen Show (one of the best and more reliable youtubers about Cyberpunk 2077) explains what the mistake was in the "we were promised the FULL gameplay". We were not. Journalist made it.

No carrot at all.

Some here are saying incorrect things such as:

Thats not because its only 15min of gameplay. If they just announced we get 15 minutes of gameplay next week, everyone would be happy. But they also said the full gameplay demo from E3 will NOT be shown to the public, at all. Not next week, and not during PAX west. The 15min replaces the full demo that was announced to be released to the public during PAX, and now they went back on that announcement. Its not like everyone only gets 15min. At E3 and now at gamescom, the full demo was shown - so it exists and is actively withheld.

These 15 minutes are "edited" as stated in their own statement above. These 15 minutes are indeed edited from the 50-minute demo which was shown at E3 2019. The bulk of that demo consisted of in-game menus all designed to show off the player customization which will largely be pure vanity considering the game is a first-person shooter and you won't be able to see any of those customizations for a good portion of the game.

This does not replace the full demo. And they did say that they would show that 50-minute demo to the public. At first, they said it would be during Gamescom and then later backpedaled on that promise and stated it would be released sometime between that and Pax West because they felt it would be unfair to those participants if the demo were made public prior to their exclusivity in viewing it.

Now, instead, they are releasing a 15-minute edited-down version, presumably to skip all of those in-game menus for the character customization and that would just about leave 15-minutes of pseudo-gameplay footage trying to pass itself off as actual gameplay footage.

CDPR is forever saying one thing, then another, pretending they never said the previous statement and their loyal flock swears to anything they want because they're sycophants. Look on the bright side. CDPR/GoG hasn't put their foot in their mouth in several months so they're due. And when they do, they'll release the full 50-minute demo. Just like they did last year.

But please, do not forget that Keanu Reeves will be in the game as Johnny Silverhand and while you may not ever really get to see any ACTUAL gameplay footage that hasn't been edited, you can at least pre-order the game for his appearance.

You are that shallow, aren't you?
Post automatically merged:

This only means you guys are working you're asses off. Quality over quantity. Take your time, you guys \,,/

They have until April. Even money says that date will be pushed back. It's nowhere near ready yet.

I think so too. There is no need to show us things that they will either change anyways or are not comfortable showing to the public.

Really? And yet they did just that with the 2018 E3 demo which they knew was from a very early pre-alpha build of the game. They themselves have stated in several interviews that the current state of the game looks nothing like that demo. So why show it to the public?

Oh, yeah. There was that GoG mishap on Twitter that they were desperate for people to get past. Has everyone forgotten about it already? Jeez, CDPR has some mighty Teflon coating on their wings.

If they present us with only the one approach then it negates everything they've been saying in every interview since E3.

All the devs were saying that this year their goal was to show to the public that besides dialogue choices and important decision choices we could make in the Witcher, now the game also offers gameplay choices unlike the Witcher.

Because they've been raking in pre-orders since E3 with nothing more than Keanu Reeves' appearance to go on. No actual gameplay footage of any kind and now they'll just be showing a 15-minute edited down version of the 2019 E3 demo.

You have to hand it to them. They've got some industrial-sized balls.

Last edited:
I know we all love CDPR, but they don't do a great job of managing community expectations. Perhaps this is because they're a relatively young company compared to some of the other big players in the industry, or perhaps it's their "rebellious" attitude, or something else entirely. I really dunno and don't particularly care, they can run their business how they please.

Still, from a somewhat detached bystander's perspective, it seems like this matter could have been handled a bit better. Given how active many of the devs are in the community, it should have been obvious that many people were expecting a 50-minute demo. Thus, if their reasoning is true and it relates to "spoilers," they should have informed the playerbase about this decision much sooner. If they only just now thought of it, that's a bit odd.

Waiting until, what, a week before the event where everyone is excited about seeing what journalists (or at least what "average gamers" saw) saw, after hearing things like "it will be similar to what we did last year" from CMs, to drop this seems... Not ideal, in my humble opinion.

To be clear, I don't much care if the demo is 5 minutes, 600 minutes, or anything in between. As Kofe pointed out, they will either show the mechanics I care about -- whether it's a 50 minute or 15 minute demo -- or they won't. Period. Demo length has no impact on that, and I have absolutely zero interest in 50 more minutes of 80% combat/action gameplay.

that's the problem: we all know it'll be 15 minutes of normal gameplay instead of talking about mechanics. Honestly, 15 minutes of just mechanics will be considered boring by 99% of the audience (not me and you). So of course that's not gonna happen and that's why we wanted the full 50 minutes: to get both action and mechanics.

You’d get 50 minutes of normal gameplay. If it was 150 minutes, it’d be 150 minutes of normal gameplay.

All I’m saying is that everything new that’s worth showing fits in 15 minutes.

That it might be mechanics talk, was just my usual pipedreaming, not an expectation.

Given how active many of the devs are in the community,

Which community?

You’d get 50 minutes of normal gameplay. If it was 150 minutes, it’d be 150 minutes of normal gameplay.

All I’m saying is that everything new that’s worth showing fits in 15 minutes.

That it might be mechanics talk, was just my usual pipedreaming, not an expectation.

Which community?

I'm not going to pick out anyone specific so as not to funnel the inevitable trash mob in their direction, but several devs and CMs answer questions, clarify stuff, etc. on the Discord, and on Twitter.

Sadly, they don't interact as much here, but this place is generally suited toward long-form communication so perhaps that's understandable.

Top Bottom