Gameplay Stream Announcement

+
I have to say it i was waiting another gameplay video to score the final impression.

As i told before i was open to to say i was wrong if that was the case. Unfortunately its not.

Once again i saw a FPS first then an RPG. I saw dynamism and i had info on sklls always in combat context. Frankly i give up.

To me this game looks cyberpunk but is not cyberpunk and is a damn shame have to write this but i am not impressed and i am firmly disappoined.

The boss combat mechanic was arcadeish and uninspired. The magic bottle keeping her alive was just that. A magic bottle. Stuff like that don't belong in cyberpunk. Overall the game looks great but sadly i saw a V that was even more Defined like a Geralt in the video. We were supposed to create our character so i expected more freedom on dialogues and more selection here we are at fallout4 level of dialogue selection.

I get that you can mod guns and you can customize gun and you can even have different gun. But what about the character visual customization? That part was so quick that felt skipped. Is still a system based on presets?.

I don't know overall what i seen here is more reactivity that is combat or stealth related but i still have problem to see the roleplay elements.

And this is a game based on a pen and paper rpg.
Totally lack of social skills comfirmed all skills have just relevance in combat.
((moved from the media thread.))

I have to say it i was waiting another gameplay video to score the final impression.

As i told before i was open to to say i was wrong if that was the case. Unfortunately its not.

Once again i saw a FPS first then an RPG. I saw dynamism and i had info on sklls always in combat context. Frankly i give up.

To me this game looks cyberpunk but is not cyberpunk and is a damn shame have to write this but i am not impressed and i am firmly disappoined.

The boss combat mechanic was arcadeish and uninspired. The magic bottle keeping her alive was just that. A magic bottle. Stuff like that don't belong in cyberpunk. Overall the game looks great but sadly i saw a V that was even more Defined like a Geralt in the video. We were supposed to create our character so i expected more freedom on dialogues and more selection here we are at fallout4 level of dialogue selection.

I get that you can mod guns and you can customize gun and you can even have different gun. But what about the character visual customization? That part was so quick that felt skipped. Is still a system based on presets?.

I don't know overall what i seen here is more reactivity that is combat or stealth related but i still have problem to see the roleplay elements.

And this is a game based on a pen and paper rpg.
Totally lack of social skills comfirmed all skills have just relevance in combat.
((moved from the media thread.))
Yeah, I'm sorry, Mebrilia. I know it's not what you were hoping for.

And definitely not what Su or Kofe were hoping for, either.

I told you it's gonna be juiced up Witcher 3 part II ages ago. Like it or dislike it.

If you hear "cinematic storytelling", you can forget about whatever old-school "true" PnP RPG you had in mind.

Sadly at the time cd projekt were talking about ambition on how they wanted to change the industry. I never expected the game to be a loyal transposition of the pen and paper but to have a degree of continuity with it wich is perfectly reasonable.

Indead we have a watered down cyberpunk experience that is even far from the spirit of the source material. There is a wide difference between streamlining and dumbing down.

This is not even an adaptation. They just ignored the pen and paper and worked to deliver a more shooter experience and i frankly saw that coming when they changed the game description in twitter from role play game to action adventure game.

A sad day for me. I was expecting a worthy cyberpunk 2020 based game from like ever. I was glad cd projekt took the license to do it and there was a time i was thinking they were the right company.

Now sadly i regret it.

Instead we have a watered down cyberpunk experience that is even far from the spirit of the source material. There is a wide difference between streamlining and dumbing down.

Can you explain this part a bit? I never played the P&P (never even heard about it before, like, a month ago) so I might be unaffected but it seems they implemented things correctly.

Also, remember, turning P&P digital is brutally hard and you have to clip away 90% of the sources to make it work, but it works. Like in Pathfinder Kingmaker. 90% of the books were not used but they made a gem with the rest. Also, you will never have the freedom in a VG compared to a real-life session.

Can you explain this part a bit? I never played the P&P (never even heard about it before, like, a month ago) so I might be unaffected but it seems they implemented things correctly.

Also, remember, turning P&P digital is brutally hard and you have to clip away 90% of the sources to make it work, but it works. Like in Pathfinder Kingmaker. 90% of the books were not used but they made a gem with the rest. Also, you will never have the freedom in a VG compared to a real-life session.

It is a fair long discussion to be had but i will gladly answer to you in Pm. Basically the video just showcased combat or stealth but cyberpunk had also social skills that most of the time if used well could turn out a situation. Now if you examine the character chart there are not social skills at all. Like at all. Aside of that Cyberpunk is a setting grounded on reality. You won't find double jump in cyberpunk on magic vials that keeps you alive from a storm of bullet. Be involved in a firefight in the pen and paper is something dangerous so dangerous that even a solo should avoid it if it can. Instead in cyberpunk2077 solo is turned from trained soldier. ((Major Kusanagi in ghost in the shell)) to rambo. Making the firefights mundane.
Just take the character shreet from the pen and paper and compare it with the skill chart presented by cd projekt red you will see a lot was removed totally.

Okay, so here's my impressions:

On the plus side:

- visuals in 4k overall look pretty good, in some aspects better then last year's demo. The only thing I'm not sure of is drawing distance, but it might be related to the weather in the demo and smaller amount of buildings in comparison to Watson, which gives the environment more "misty" look

- driving in first person mode seems really cool

- different skills and playstyles being presented are fairly varied and looks like something that will make for a fun gameplay

- melee combat (both the fists and nanowire)

- visual design for characters and environments is still outstanding

- clothing seems very varied

- the song in the background (which is probably the part of the soundtrack)

- Borys narrating the whole thing for 15 minutes

Now for what in my opinion still needs more work:

- there are visual elements, which are definitely not up to par with the rest (low res cans falling from vending machine, Johnny Silverhand's unfinished model)

- some parts of the UI looked unfinished (lack of threat level display, lack of weight in items description, even when it's written elsewhere, Epic Clothing describing both Samurai Jacket and regular blouse, etc.) , like they scrapped the one from previous demo and started reworking it from the scratch, but then they had to put a placeholder in it's place for the purpose of the demo

- some gunplay looks good (mostly the one with smaller guns), while other times it looks kinda mediocre (usually the one with the bigger guns)

- character creator looks like a huge downgrade in terms of visual options in comparison to the previous one, but since according to Lilayah they didn't start reworking it until after E3 2019 and now they claimed they greatly expanded it, I do hope it was just a placeholder

- driving in third person looks really stiff (I won't be surprised if it's going to be the next thing dropped from the game)

- you know what would be better then Borys narrating the whole thing for 15 minutes? Borys narrating the whole thing for 50 minutes

Last edited:
......Holy effing sh*t :oops: I’m impressed with most of what I saw. However, even though it wasn’t a long video, it had too damn much for me to process right now o_O To whom it might care, I’ll give my observations another day.

My poor, slow, biological brain :LOL:

- some gunplay looks good (mostly the one with smaller guns), while other times it looks kinda mediocre (usually the one with the bigger guns)
Now this is just a guess.
But the heavy weapons were used by the strong-solo female V in this demo with the gorilla-arms cyberpware. So I guess with this build you'd have next to no recoil even with SMGs.

But the heavy weapons were used by the strong-solo female V in this demo with the gorilla-arms cyberpware. So I guess with this build you'd have next to no recoil even with SMGs.

That's a fair explanation. More strength stats = powerful arm augments = better gun handling

Maybe, but they could keep the recoil effect and still improve weapon handling for a strong solo. Because that gun looks pretty flat, meaning it felt like it has little impact.

Last edited:
- driving in third person looks really stiff (I won't be surprised if it's going to be the next thing dropped from the game)
I sure hope not.

I thought third-person CAR driving was great (or at least on par with most other open-world city games I know of), it's just the bike driving that looked bad.

Other feedback was great and I agree with it, though.

Hah, funny, this is exactly what I theorized on a (non-main) Discord server.

A really good trailer makes you want to buy the game ASAP...
A really bad trailer makes you want to skip the game altogether...
Then there's this trailer, a merely OK trailer that makes you want a better trailer to completely sell you on the game.

I said earlier that this trailer had to do a lot to rival the quality trailer that Techland dropped and it didn't happen. Honestly, they would've been better off showing a 15 minute edited trailer last year and the full clip this year...releasing the smaller trailer this year just gives me the weird impression they're going backward rather than forward.

Going by what the trailer did show, I can't say I'm too surprised. I came in expecting a prettier, beefier Deus Ex and was not disappointed. :censored:

Apparently, you can name your car.

I wonder how many people are going to name their first car Roach.
Post automatically merged:

Sadly at the time cd projekt were talking about ambition on how they wanted to change the industry. I never expected the game to be a loyal transposition of the pen and paper but to have a degree of continuity with it wich is perfectly reasonable.

Indead we have a watered down cyberpunk experience that is even far from the spirit of the source material. There is a wide difference between streamlining and dumbing down.

This is not even an adaptation. They just ignored the pen and paper and worked to deliver a more shooter experience and i frankly saw that coming when they changed the game description in twitter from role play game to action adventure game.

A sad day for me. I was expecting a worthy cyberpunk 2020 based game from like ever. I was glad cd projekt took the license to do it and there was a time i was thinking they were the right company.

Now sadly i regret it.

What would you have liked to see instead in terms of gameplay?

I'm just a bit confused over the "shooter" complaints as I don't see how you can adapt a futuristic RPG that has firearms to a video game, and not have the gameplay be based around shooter mechanics.

Were you hoping for turn based combat and dice rolls? If so I'd say your expectations were flawed from the start, since that sort of game's appeal is limited (niche, basically) and isn't going to come in the form of a major AAA game with a AAA budget.

Last edited:
Disappointed with the trailer, it was chopped and put together out of order.
It made no sense and was a waist of time in my opinion, it would have been better if CDPR did not show it as it made Cyberpunk 2077 look bad.

Sorry for the bad comments but you either show something good CDPR or not show something at all.
The developer Q and A just said the same things we heard before.

I wonder how many people are going to name their first car Roach.
Post automatically merged:

What would you have liked to see instead in terms of gameplay?

I'm just a bit confused over the "shooter" complaints as I don't see how you can adapt a futuristic RPG that has firearms to a video game, and not have the gameplay be based around shooter mechanics.

Were you hoping for turn based combat and dice rolls? If so I'd say your expectations were flawed from the start, since that sort of game's appeal is limited (niche, basically) and isn't going to come in the form of a major AAA game with a AAA budget.

I never expected a turn based game. But the removal of the social skill of humanity the mistaking of the solo from a trained soldier to basically Rambo and things like double jump the magic potion of sandsquatch that things actually destroy the spirit of cyberpunk.

They insisted this is an rpg first and foremost and at the same time all skills are just combat related.
They said we would create our character from the ground up but V has little dialogue option is a fixed character and many time it talks with no player imput.

Heck even fallout 4 has social perks that may be not very important but they are there.

This game play just like an open ended dynamic shooter not an rpg.

Top Bottom