Gamersyde patch 1.03 framerate analysis - almost constant 20 fps in the bog area

+
This seems to be a good point i think. From another board:
"The PS4 version generally performs well framerate-wise IMO. It's at a stable 30 fps more often than not. The stuttering is a separate issue. There are situations where the framerate itself goes to absolute shit though, and it seems to have to do with alpha effects. A dense forest full of detail can be perfectly smooth in good conditions, but add some rain and maybe a fire or two on top of that? Hello 20 fps. And it is just that, 20 fps. This game never runs at 25, it's either 30 or 20. Looks like a case of simple double buffered v-sync. Had they implemented triple buffering or adaptive v-sync I'm sure the overall experience would have been much smoother. So if they can make that happen, iron out the random stuttering and do something about the massive performance hit of alpha effects, I think this could become a very nice experience. It mostly is already, just not always."

I bolded the interesting part, so if really is a problem of double buffering i think it could be "easily" corrected without downgrading gfx (The gamersyde's XboxOne swamp video, without the fog, is not my idea of a solution, especially after the "downgradegate" on Pc about the 2013 trailers vs the final build, which has turned out with people trying to patch the situation with SweetFx and other ways to get a change in a grimmer colour palette, so now asking for a game without or with nerfed distinctive effects in order to get a better framerate should be as asking to play The Witcher in an always sunny Marioland. Absolutely no way, for me).

Aside from this, i ask myself if CDPR chose to go with double buffer and this kinda strange "30-20fps lock" on Ps4 because they thought that a relatively low, but constant framerate would be better, gameplay wise, than a generally higher but more fluctuating one, or if there's something else.
What do you think guys?
As for me, the gamersyde video of Ps4 swamp fight showed nothing i could call "unplayable", but it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
This seems to be a good point i think. From another board:
"The PS4 version generally performs well framerate-wise IMO. It's at a stable 30 fps more often than not. The stuttering is a separate issue. There are situations where the framerate itself goes to absolute shit though, and it seems to have to do with alpha effects. A dense forest full of detail can be perfectly smooth in good conditions, but add some rain and maybe a fire or two on top of that? Hello 20 fps. And it is just that, 20 fps. This game never runs at 25, it's either 30 or 20. Looks like a case of simple double buffered v-sync. Had they implemented triple buffering or adaptive v-sync I'm sure the overall experience would have been much smoother. So if they can make that happen, iron out the random stuttering and do something about the massive performance hit of alpha effects, I think this could become a very nice experience. It mostly is already, just not always."

I bolded the interesting part, so if really is a problem of double buffering i think it could be "easily" corrected without downgrading gfx (The gamersyde's XboxOne swamp video, without the fog, is not my idea of a solution, especially after the "downgradegate" on Pc about the 2013 trailers vs the final build, which has turned out with people trying to patch the situation with SweetFx and other ways to get a change in a grimmer colour palette, so now asking for a game without or with nerfed distinctive effects in order to get a better framerate should be as asking to play The Witcher in an always sunny Marioland. Absolutely no way, for me).

Aside from this, i ask myself if CDPR chose to go with double buffer and this kinda strange "30-20fps lock" on Ps4 because they thought that a constant framerate would be better, gameplay wise, than a generally higher but more fluctuating one, or if there's other than that.
What do you think guys?

That it would be nice to see a stable frame rate in every situation, i can tolerate some frame drops in really impegnative situations and i think it's only a matter of better optimization without compromising the graphic.
As a metter of fact the frame rate in this game is absolutely not ideal, 20fps? are we kidding? if it's only for a few seconds it's ok (and i mean about 3 seconds xD) but that's not the case.

Last edited:
I can't think of any reason to use double buffered v-sync on a game with a 30 fps target. Much rather have the game run between 25-30 than hop back and forth between 30 and 20.

What so ps4 cannot go to 25 fps? If it drops below 30 it goes straight to 20? But doesn't the xbox one go to 25? And has a cap now too? Why would they do that for xbox and not ps4

honestly the reason i never use Vsync on pc is because i always felt like it made the game run slower ( and it does)

and i do not care for alittle line going over half of the lower screen sometimes

so honestly why would they put on Vsync for this game ? it makes it run worse than it already is

trust me i know the makers of lords of the fallen ( on ps4) did the same bad Vsync and that game is unplayable ( it feels like im trying to run a new aaa title on a windows 3,1 dos machine from the past.

DigitalFoundry comparison:

[video=youtube;nev-qxmHR7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nev-qxmHR7c[/video]

Constant 20 fps in the bogs, pathetic.

DigitalFoundry comparison:

[video=youtube;nev-qxmHR7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nev-qxmHR7c[/video]

Constant 20 fps in the bogs, pathetic.

Wow, it drops to 19fps at one point. :/

If they don't patch this, I'm gonna sell my PS4 copy and get it for the X1 when I get around to buying one back. Sub-30fps is bad enough, but understandable given the power of these consoles, and the scope of the game...but sub-20fps? That is simply unacceptable to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom