GameSpot reviews the Enhanced Edition!

+
GameSpot reviews the Enhanced Edition!

Check out GameSpot's review of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings fo Xbox 360. Watch the video as Kevin VanOrd takes you through all the improvements and changes added in the Enhanced Edition of our game.

In this review, he says that Act 3 lacks content compared to the other 2... Did he not play the EE until the end, or does the aditional 4 hours of gameplay somehow gone unnoticed to him? oO I don't understand ):

Well the "problem" is that it is more like 3 hours, and only 1.5 hours in one playthrough...those two quests are exclusive to each quest lines (roche/iorveth). So it beefs up the third act, but it still falls short of first two.

But I am fine with third act even as it was before EE...I just want fullblown expansion or sequel already. Jeeeeeez.

paulcz said:
Well the "problem" is that it is more like 3 hours, and only 1.5 hours in one playthrough...those two quests are exclusive to each quest lines (roche/iorveth). So it beefs up the third act, but it still falls short of first two.

But I am fine with third act even as it was before EE...I just want fullblown expansion or sequel already. Jeeeeeez.

Really? That's what I was afraid of lol, they should've just added those two quests to every quest line... that's really a dissapointment.
I was never fine with the way they did the third act. I'm not a fan of the 'choose one of the two parrallel quest lines and miss out on 5 hours of quests from the other', it would've been good if the game packed more content, but the game was 20 hours long which is fine for a hack'n'slash game, but not so fine for an RPG, it made many things kinda pointless, what's the point of all the hundreds of gear and equipment in the game if you just don't have enough gameplay to use even half of it? It was really a big issue, the game was really short, like 1\3 of the Witcher 1 lenght and now that youre telling me this, that means it still is short...
That's really bad for me, cuz the only major gripe I had againts W2 was it's shortness, no point in all the epicness if you're gonna finish it in 20 hours, too bad they couldn't do anything about it ):
Damn, that really got me dissapointed ):

hmm i've started a fresh game on hard with the ee edition, been 2 days now and i'm still on the first chapter, harder difficulty makes you think more and you have to find those ingredients for bombs, traps and potions just for survival, 20 hours must have been a very rushed game. guessing with mods.?

Nice review.

How can people be dissapointed with extra content? It is also free. So don't complain, be glad you wonderful idiots! :) Lots of additional cinematics and added stuff like more animals, sounds and even more fixes!

This is a great time to be a RPG dark fantasy fan. Did the Roach path almost a year ago now it is time for Iorveth path! Bring it!

Yeah I do not understand the complaints about game being 20 hours long, WTF ? 20 hours it took me just to get to second chapter, the game lasted about 40 hours for me and that was version 1.0 when the game was released.

paulcz said:
Yeah I do not understand the complaints about game being 20 hours long, WTF ? 20 hours it took me just to get to second chapter, the game lasted about 40 hours for me and that was version 1.0 when the game was released.

Dunno man, passed it on version 1.0 Iorveth path, on the Hard difficulty, 20 hours to get to the second chapter? That's impossible man. Only if you are really stretching it and wasting time looking at every texture in the forest, well then it can be 20 hours I guess...

paulcz said:
Nice review.

How can people be dissapointed with extra content? It is also free. So don't complain, be glad you wonderful idiots! :) Lots of additional cinematics and added stuff like more animals, sounds and even more fixes!

This is a great time to be a RPG dark fantasy fan. Did the Roach path almost a year ago now it is time for Iorveth path! Bring it!

You know, I would pay for an extra 10-15 hours with joy. I'm a huge W1 fun, I enjoyed the books about the Witcher as well, I just feel that this game needed much more hours of gameplay and much more content. It is a good game, but because of it's lenght, because a player forced to lose about 5-6 hours of gameplay due to a gamedesign decision in an already short adventure, because of that it felt unfinished, rushed for me. I wanted to enjoy it much more, but I couldn't.

That's just my feelings man, I love CDPR, they have a really good attitude towards their audience and I pay them back for it, I bought the first Witcher the day it came out, I pre-ordered my collectors edition of the W2 as soon as it was available for pre-ordering in Russia. I just wished the game had more content, that's all. Unfortunatly it seems I'll have to wait till W3 ):

Well, the Witcher 2 is a short game for an RPG that aims so high with its story and characters. Also, the seperate questlines is not something I'm fond of, especially because it's the reason the game is so short.

Next time, please, give us choices but don't make us miss entire sections of the game. Many people play this games as stories, role playing them, and are not inclined to stray from their choices in order to see extra content. On the other hand, make the game 50 hours and have as many branching as you like, no one would feel the game was small.

And for the love of God, when you go to so much trouble creating atmosphere and a sense of place, don't allow us to steal everything from the houses when the people are in it! And more importantly: people should be surprised when a stranger enters their houses. W2 is a game about details and these things matter.

Oh, and another thing. Make the world bigger. We essentially visited 3 places...

In general though this is an amazing game. :)

TSHost said:
Well, the Witcher 2 is a short game for an RPG that aims so high with its story and characters. Also, the seperate questlines is not something I'm fond of, especially because it's the reason the game is so short.

Next time, please, give us choices but don't make us miss entire sections of the game. Many people play this games as stories, role playing them, and are not inclined to stray from their choices in order to see extra content. On the other hand, make the game 50 hours and have as many branching as you like, no one would feel the game was small.

Exactly what I wanted to say my friend! If the game was 50 hours long in any branch, no one would dare to say something bad about the branching idea. Of course that essentially means making like 3-4 different games in one box, so it's unwise to demand that. But the problem is stated correctly!

And yes, after all this epicness, all this politics and consiparacies, seeing the game suddenly end in the half-baked (more like quarter-baked lol) third act was really surprising for me. You said it right yet again my friend! For such a story and characters that aim so high, this game ends too fast and unsatisfying.
I hope I don't sound too lame, I just want to pinpoint my biggest gripe againts the game, so that the developers see it and make a wonderful W3 with tons of areas and gameplay xD

Ganishka said:
You know, I would pay for an extra 10-15 hours with joy. I'm a huge W1 fun, I enjoyed the books about the Witcher as well, I just feel that this game needed much more hours of gameplay and much more content. It is a good game, but because of it's lenght, because a player forced to lose about 5-6 hours of gameplay due to a gamedesign decision in an already short adventure, because of that it felt unfinished, rushed for me. I wanted to enjoy it much more, but I couldn't.

That's just my feelings man, I love CDPR, they have a really good attitude towards their audience and I pay them back for it, I bought the first Witcher the day it came out, I pre-ordered my collectors edition of the W2 as soon as it was available for pre-ordering in Russia. I just wished the game had more content, that's all. Unfortunatly it seems I'll have to wait till W3 ):

I'm a huge TW1 fan too and I would pay for a 10-15 hours expansion easy. TW2 is about half has long as TW1 that is true. :(

TW1 also had parts that were not really the same so it encouraged you to play the game twice to get most of the ends. TW2 really needs 2 be played twice since 80% of chapter 2 is different, which results in "less" time on a single playthrough. Had they extended chapter 3 with 3 hours in addition to the 2 new 1,5 hours missions now that would have been AMAZING!

I wished TW2 had more monster varieties like vampires, strange evil worshippers, wyverns and werewolfs. They might have added werewolfs now in the Enhanced edition I think. I am not complaining though, what they have done is awesome. There are always some people who aren't satisfied but one can not appease to all. TW2 has a great production value and really expands on your adventure with Geralt from TW1. Just wondering what happened to Shani though.

The Witcher 3 is gonna be epic.. I have high hopes about TW3 and also that they bring some of the dark gothic style that they had in the witcher 1 to one of the chapters in TW3. :)

I remember the game taking me 20 or so hours. Maybe I'm just quick, IDK. Even Mass Effect took me only 24 or so hours with just about every side quest completed and I remember reading about how it took some people like 40 as well.

In terms of expansion quests, the only way they can do it so that it fits in both paths is either to expand Act 1 (which I actually wouldn't mind since I liked Flotsam a lot) or to expand Act 3 but fit any kind of expansion within both story lines (not as easy).

I can't see any way of adding a whole side-type chapter like Lakeside in this one.

Ganishka, you must have missed a lot of quests. I bulled through a lot of the story and missed a fair bit and still clocked in 37 hours. A true playthrough, with the new content, is between 40-45. 3-5 for the Prologue, 12-15 for Chapter 1, 15-20 for Chapter 2, and about 5-7 for the new Chapter 3 + Epilogue. Replaying on the alternate path (Roche/Iorveth) nets you about 25 hours of alternative gameplay for Chapter 2 + 3. And checking out all the variations of chapter 3 is another 5 hours easily - Roche Redania, Roche Temeria, Iorveth Philippa, and then Triss, which varies less between the Roche/Iorveth path. Not to mention how things are different depending on the status of Henselt in the endgame. Chapter 3 is a web of possibility, which makes up for its apparent brevity.

It took me 35+ hours (hard mode and Roche's path).
Now I want to finish on Dark Mode (Iorveth's path).
I love Witcher 2 xD
Thank you so much CD Projekt RED.

Eu só achei que deveriam ter melhorado a movimentação do cara. Estava ansioso para uma suavização do giro do personagem. mas enfim. Ótimo trabalho da equipe, realmente surpreendeu muito e

Maghyver said:
Eu só achei que deveriam ter melhorado a movimentação do cara. Estava ansioso para uma suavização do giro do personagem. mas enfim. Ótimo trabalho da equipe, realmente surpreendeu muito e

I don't understand the disappointement of some people on the seperate questlines.
I loved the seperate questlines too much because I can replay the game. This is the only action/rpg that I replayed like it was a new game.

Killduke said:
I don't understand the disappointement of some people on the seperate questlines.
I loved the seperate questlines too much because I can replay the game. This is the only action/rpg that I replayed like it was a new game.

Exactly, the point of separated questline is to show that your decision MATTERS. It only adds to replay value since you get to play a whole new chapter and get new perspective. While chapter 3 isn't exactly that different, there are minor subtleties that make them distinct enough.

Play on Dark mode if you want replay value though I suggest. I spent 20 hours and haven't finished Flotsam yet.... Gotta be prepared for every nekkers round the corner lol.

Started playing it yesterday took me about 12 hours at work to get 2/3 of the way through chapter one. I was not messing about just playing it normaly. I never use mods (even though I have nothing against them).
I have played the game through about 10-15 times since it was first released (May 17, 2011).
Im guessing the game would have a 30/40 hour play through which is exactly the same time Mass Effect 3 had if you played it unmoded and all side quests. All games can be rushed through and that is completely the purchasers right.
People played Mass Effect 3 in under 20 hours but they either did almost no side quests (thus missing out majorly IMO as I have saves from Mass Effect 1-3) or they used a gibbed editor to doctor thier saves to pretend they did more side quests.
I am loving the game so far passes the day at work so I am happy.
(Spoiler)
If chapter 3 gets a extention to playtime then thats a bonus as it was enjoyable in its old state so it will be more enjoyable now.

CD Projekt RED (and its sub company Good Old Games) attitude to its customers is a tribute to gaming and can not be praised enough in comparison Origon's (Mass Effect 3) is not should I say.. worth any tribute.

If you have just bought The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced and are about to play it for the first time you are in for a treat. You will also see that this gaming company has the most outstanding attitude to customers in the entire gaming industry.

I have purchased roughly about 300 - 500 games in my time and have had experience in gaming on all formats and with online and single player games too CD Projekt RED are a standout. Arena Net Guild Wars 2 for example have a decent ethos but dont back it up on the levels CPD do and joining with Nexon is a bit worrying.

lliam said:
Started playing it yesterday took me about 12 hours at work to get 2/3 of the way through chapter one. I was not messing about just playing it normaly. I never use mods (even though I have nothing against them).
I have played the game through about 10-15 times since it was first released (May 17, 2011).
Im guessing the game would have a 30/40 hour play through which is exactly the same time Mass Effect 3 had if you played it unmoded and all side quests. All games can be rushed through and that is completely the purchasers right.
People played Mass Effect 3 in under 20 hours but they either did almost no side quests (thus missing out majorly IMO as I have saves from Mass Effect 1-3) or they used a gibbed editor to doctor thier saves to pretend they did more side quests.
I am loving the game so far passes the day at work so I am happy.
(Spoiler)
If chapter 3 gets a extention to playtime then thats a bonus as it was enjoyable in its old state so it will be more enjoyable now.

CD Projekt RED (and its sub company Good Old Games) attitude to its customers is a tribute to gaming and can not be praised enough in comparison Origon's (Mass Effect 3) is not should I say.. worth any tribute.

If you have just bought The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced and are about to play it for the first time you are in for a treat. You will also see that this gaming company has the most outstanding attitude to customers in the entire gaming industry.

I have purchased roughly about 300 - 500 games in my time and have had experience in gaming on all formats and with online and single player games too CD Projekt RED are a standout. Arena Net Guild Wars 2 for example have a decent ethos but dont back it up on the levels CPD do and joining with Nexon is a bit worrying.

I have to disagree, CD has far too many problems in their games as a rule that detract from the experience, and ignoring them does them an injustice.

Top Bottom