Gamespot: Witcher 2 Combat Tips

+
Gamespot: Witcher 2 Combat Tips

Gamespot published a video guide for all you monster hunters, who find the combat of The Witcher 2 difficult. Enjoy the video HERE!

Actually I enjoy my games more when it is set on high difficulty. It is more satisfieing, challenging and more prestigious. Dark Mode is perfectly balanced. Just hard enough so it doesn't ever feel easy, every fight has to be taken seriously.

Good tips though. Good vid for those who does not quite get the combat tactics fully.

Haven't had much of a problem with Dark Mode either. Makes me be more careful and prepare better for battles, and they end up being somewhat easier than Normal difficulty.

Only problem is if I let my guard down, I get killed in two or three hits. But that's my own fault :p

I prefer to keep my games on "Normal" difficulty. I find that if a game is set too difficult it takes away from the fun. I play games for fun and enjoyment not to see just how much of a "Bad A$$" I can be in game. My apologies to any "hardcore" gamers I might have offended with this post.

ReighnDae said:
I prefer to keep my games on "Normal" difficulty. I find that if a game is set too difficult it takes away from the fun. I play games for fun and enjoyment not to see just how much of a "Bad A$$" I can be in game. My apologies to any "hardcore" gamers I might have offended with this post.

Agreed. It seems that games increase difficulty one of two ways: 1.)simply make the enemies more powerful and you less powerful (usually by changin hit point damage). 2.)By actually making the enemy AI smarter. (This is more about changing the AI routines so that they are actually better fighters).

I prefer number 2. Simply increasing the amount of hits that it take s to defeat a foe is no more fun for me than the "default" amount of hits. However, if a developer actually makes the AI smarter on harder difficulties...I usually go that route. Not that many games use the #2 method.

ReighnDae said:

I usually do the same thing, but for some reason TW2 isn't too hard on Dark Mode. Difficulty in this case adds another dimension, and demands better preparation for battles using elements from the game itself, like potions and other enhancements, which I think are part of tactical planning.

In most games, once you master the mechanics (especially of combat) you may want to raise the difficulty level to keep things interesting. I don't think Dark Mode is only for hardcore gamers, I don't even consider myself one.

Well, yesterday finally got my copy and about 8 hours in. Hard difficulty has been perfect so far. Still need some practising on my fightning skills, but I´ll get there. Second round shall be with Dark mode no doubt. Few years I´ve been playing games with hard difficulty, usually that gives just enough hardness to my likes. In Witcher 2 the fightning mechanics are truly great, hard difficulty makes me use traps, bombs and potions and this gives something fresh to the usual fightning found on other RPGs. Loving the game..

ReighnDae said:
Lol, is not about being "BAD A$$" XD. You for example, just want to play for fun and enjoyment so you are ok on low difficulties. On the other hand, other people might want challenge.

Personally, I normally play in low difficulties and just for enjoyment, like you. But there are games that I really like very much, and I start to want more challenge, just as other people. There are some that simply don't like "easy" games, so they always try to play on harder difficulties.

Is just a matter of how you are more confortable with. The Witcher 2 really makes me want to play hard difficulties for example, while in strategy games I NEVER rise up from Easy XD

ONTOPIC: Nice combat tips video. Good summary for new ones of everything that has Geralt in his disposal in order to fight against enemies.

Quite a good video from Gamespot for once. Anyone new to the game should give it a looksee.

Great video by Gamespot staff. But no, difficulty feels like its tone down and anything lower then HARD is super easy and dont need much thinking or sweating. I wrote it few times already but HARD = NORMAL.

Drink potions, prepare bombs, make oils and make combat methodical. There's no need to spam your attack buttons. Also, use your signs effectively to control the crowd. For potions, I suggest Swallow,Golden Oriole, and Tawny Owl. This is a great combination for beginners because you have resistance to poisoning, vitality regeneration, and vigor regen. Use whetstone or coat swords with oils at the earlier levels to deal with enemies a little quicker. Also, spend time purchasing or finding alchemical ingredients. Very useful for producing bulk quantities of bombs, potions, and oils.

The Witcher 2 is one of those rare games where you actually have to work for your progress.
Refreshing these days !
Just like dark souls it takes some effort, but I love it ! :)

My first run through was on normal mode. My next was on hard which actually seemed easier than normal. I'm now on Dark and loving it.

They are decent tips I guess, but the guide still leaves a few important things, such as which potions to use, how to make enemy group scatter away, and which magic to cast against which enemy type. What most people forget is the fact that offensive approach can potentially become as great defense, since dispatching enemies one by one ensures your rate of survival.

If you can master all of these, you don't even need to use the shield spell. If there are simply too many enemies I have no choice but to use it, but otherwise I always use the spell to cure all status effects.

I admit at first when I heard of CDPR nerfing the Quen sign I was disappointed, but after I actually used a dodge/hit & Run tactic, I find that I barely use it! Serves me right for my absurd button-mashing play-style, now I see the battles in a completely different light!

I completely understand what people are saying when they describe a satisfying fight! I will however, wait til I master this before tackling the Dark Mode though! ;)

I'd consider using a higher setting than Sissy boy... If the game was turn based. My hand reflex is slow so I don't do so well when the game is more realistic.

Top Bottom