Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
As far as I know SUSE is also rpm based, right? How does OpenSUSE compare with Fedora or CentOS?

I used Red Hat 9 and then Fedora 3, 4 & 5 for some time, util I got sick of them. Switched to FreeBSD and was very happy, and then went back to Linux with Debian. I don't think I want to try rpm-based distributions again.

openSUSE uses rpm, but it's still different from Fedora family. The distro usually aims at good usability (while Fedora aims more at testing features for RedHat Enterprise).

Last edited:
As far as I know SUSE is also rpm based, right? How does OpenSUSE compare with Fedora or CentOS?[...]
Yup, it's also rpm based.
CentOS is RedHat enterprise server - focus is stability, security and compatibility, not the latest and greatest. For the latest and greatest packages there's EPEL repo.
Fedora is the bleeding edge. It has a 6-month release cycle and 1 year support for each version. It's not unusual to be released with beta versions of some packages. It is also a purist distro - no software with possible license issues is available in its official repos.
openSUSE comes in 2 flavours:
1. a stable one with older software/packages but with good stability making it easy to be supported by software developers/companies (including ATI). The Factory repositories contain latest, untested builds of the packages
2. a bleeding edge one called openSUSE tumbleweed that provides latest stable versions of software/packages, including kernel. So it's not so bleeding edge as Fedora.

My main issue with Fedora was that the ATI driver is no longer maintained while the official one does not install on Fedora 20. And I really wanted to use the discrete video card instead of the Intel onboard one.
I moved to openSUSE because my lappie came with SUSE enterprise desktop. My first impression was that it's more user/newbie friendly, you can easily install multimedia support and flash along with official NVidia/ATI drivers. Also, the KDE is more polished than it is in Fedora so it looks better.

Yeah, it looks very good, even if it's not really my cup of tea(I can't play horror games).

The team @ Astronauts is not very big - I think it's 8 people - so I wonder how they could handle ports to other OSes. PS4 comes after Windows version I think.

Metro Redux for Linux will use OpenGL 4 core profile.

Digital Foundry: Any thoughts on SteamOS? You have Last Light on Linux now running on an older OpenGL, but I understand you have a more advanced version in the works...

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes, the original Metro Last Light Linux port was based on OpenGL 3.2 - it was stable but did not support high-end features. For Redux we are essentially replicating the DX11 version, with almost one-to-one correspondence in features. The downside of that approach - the GPU should be at least OpenGL 4 'core profile'.

Not sure what it means exactly though, since OpenGL 4 already had several revisions up to 4.5, but it's good news in general.

Last edited:
An excert from Gaming on Linux's coverage on Dead Island for Linux:

The game uses the developers in-house Chrome Engine which they are currently making a "next-gen" version of, so it is possible Chrome Engine 6 will be including a Linux port and that Dead Island is being updated to it.

Well that or they are adding it into Chrome Engine 5 which brings the possibility of more games to come that use it like Dead Island: Riptide, Call of Juarez: The Cartel and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I'm not saying any will though, so let's not jump to conclusions.

:yes It is too late to stifle my hopes and dreams :yes

@Gilrond, @Blothulfur, @Glaroug

I bring you all news. I purchased Ultima VII during the last GOG sale and decided to try it with the multiplatform reimplementation of the game engine, called Exult. Exult is available for Windows, Linux, and even Android (on which I will report at some point). Right now I will guide you through the process of running Ultima VII with Exult under Linux.

1) Download the game from GOG.com.

2) Extract files with innoextract.

3) Install Exult for your distribution. In my case (Debian Jessie amd64):

Code:
apt-get install exult

4) The installer will ask you for the location of "The Black Gate" and "Serpent Isle". Simple use the appropriate path for each, which is:

Black Gate:
Code:
[wherever you extracted]/app/ULTIMA7

Serpent Isle:
Code:
[wherever you extracted]/app/SERPENT

5) Run "exult" from the command line or the system menu.

Here are some screenshots using a couple of different resolutions and a scaling filter. Enjoy :)

Last edited:
@.Volsung. : Looks interesting. I have Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 on GOG, but didn't get any other Ultima games there yet. I didn't really play them before. Are they good RPGs?

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I've not played 7 yet, but if its like the first few games, talk to everyone :p I've yet to come across another series that allow me to steal a Soviet space ship and fly across the galaxy in search of a magic ring :sorcerer:

Ultima 7 is basically the dogs bollocks. It's actually two games, the first is the Black Gate, a return to Britannia after two centuries of abandonment by the Avatar (you,) a spiritual and ethical hero who represents eight virtues. The world has changed in his absence, and all is not what it seems. The Black Gate has an expansion built in called the Forge of Virtue, where one can truly master the principles they live by.

The second part of Ultima 7 is the Serpent Isle and its expansion, the Silver Seed, which I won't spoil for you. It's a more linear experience than the first game but still a masterpiece. They're both absolutely huge games, fine narratives in living, breathing and changing worlds. They spank fairly much every modern game, but for the combat which is largely automated and not very satisfying. Though there are tricks to it, and spellcasting is tremendously powerful and fun if used correctly.

This is a living world, and you will need to prepare, eating food and drinking. A bedroll for sleeping in the wilderness. Swamp boots to stop infections when travelling through marshes etcetera. Exult always worked very stably for me, a lot of people reported a disappearing item bug, never had it personally.

The Underworlds are creatures of a very different stripe, the first great 3d engine that absolutely spanked Doom and everything else, the Elder Scrolls are based off this but nowhere near as good. The first has you (the Avatar on an unsung trip to Britannia just before Ultima 7) being thrown in the great Stygian Abyss, a superdungeon that has become home to a colony. Your goal is to clear your name, resolve a mystery and save the maiden fair. Or so it seems at first.

The second game is set between Ultima 7 the Black Gate and Serpent Isle, and is truly an adventure through a labyrinth of worlds. Both games are utterly jaw dropping if you think about what they accomplished technically, feature, content and narrative wise. Far ahead of the curve, and we still haven't caught up in my opinion.

Oh one thing, the manuals, maps and booklets that come with the game are not optional, you will have to read them and keep a notebook and pencil handy as well. I envoy those of you whom are about to set foot on the path of the virtues, may Courage, Truth and Love ever guide you Avatars.

My first request would be for him to stop wearing such a wretched color combination.

Second one, stable and fully operational Linux drivers.

Third and last request, improve the power and thermal efficiency of your products. Make us want to choose an FX over an i7 for more than just the price.

On a separate topic, I might be upgrading my computer soon and found some interesting motherboards. One of them is the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 (LGA 1150) which not only looks very impressive technically and aesthetically, but also features "Steam OS support out of the box".

Now someone who doesn't use Linux might not care, but I tend to choose my components based on, among other things, their OS compatibility. Normally I go for ASUS motherboards because they use good components and are known to work well. But if gaming motherboards are going to start advertising their Linux compatibility "out of the box", I love it!

Normally things should work OK with the drivers included in recent kernels, but there's always the chance of components requiring obscure or Windows-only drivers to work properly.

I know Valve isn't doing this for the people but at least GNU/Linux is getting some recognition.

I might be upgrading my computer soon and found some interesting motherboards.

So you aren't going to wait for 14nm Broadwells to come out for desktops?

One of them is the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 (LGA 1150) which not only looks very impressive technically and aesthetically, but also features "Steam OS support out of the box".

Yeah, I've red somewhere about MSI making such labels. I hope it's more than a marketing move and they actually take care of testing it well on Linux especially with stuff like UEFI boot and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom