Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
So what free/open source games do you play? I have tried a few over the years, like Alien Arena and TORCS, but the only one I actually played continuously for many, many hours was Sauerbraten. The community and servers available now are nothing compared to its golden era, 5 years ago or so, but it's still clinging to life. Been playing again recently for a few minutes at a time.

I played PlaneShift quite a lot (and reported tons of bugs in it ;)). It has a great community of roleplayers, but its main problem is a very slow development. The world basically almost doesn't grow.

It also had its good and bad times, when active user count was swinging from a lot to below 20.

Last edited:
Underworld Ascendant developers note that demand in the Linux version of the game is worth making it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1140691
Over the last 2 weeks a number of folks have been asking about Mac and Linux versions. From our forum poll on platforms, we’ve also learned that a larger percentage of you play on Mac or Linux than we had anticipated. There is also some information suggesting that a non-trivial number of people who have come to check out the Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter page move on as soon as they see that we’re only showing Windows support up front.

So… we have decided to roll Mac and Linux support into the base funding goal. There are tradeoffs when moving around features within a budget, but this seems worthwhile. One tradeoff is that it will likely mean we’ll need to hold off for a month or possibly longer to release the Mac and Linux versions following the initial Windows release (staging it this way helps to minimize budget impact.)

O the things I shall battle and run from in the deeeeep underworld! :D The first two work very well in DOSBox per your instructions with innoextract :yes

a non-trivial number of people who have come to check out the Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter page move on as soon as they see that we’re only showing Windows support up front

A very juicy bit indeed.

Such a funny toy: https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

Screenshot:

---------- Updated at 06:32 PM ----------

Looks like Shadow of Mordor will be ported to Linux:

Too bad it's WB. Chances of it coming to GOG are slim, but may be WB will see how their old games sell there and will go along with newer too.

That's great. I don't personally care much for Shadow of Mordor but it's awesome that flashy, modern games are coming out on Linux, specially from large corporations such as WB.

Next step is convincing them DRM is pointless.

How about MK:X on Linux now?

@King_Hochmeister : Thanks! Can you please fish out the URL of the background image for that new poster (unless it's inside your Steam client)? Second such mistake by Valve is indeed unlikely.

Last edited:
@King_Hochmeister : Thanks! Can you please fish out the URL of the background image for hat new poster (unless it's inside your Steam client)? Second such mistake by Valve is indeed unlikely.

The image is inside the steam client itself, it is part of the store page itself, it changes to different games whenever you refresh the store page to represent the collection of games that are supposedly coming to SteamOS.

I think this is official news, though I doubt Witcher 3 will on SteamOS at release.

Yeah, I don't expect it on release date, but may be later this year. And probably CDPR aren't doing the porting. Virtual Programming then? I really hope they aren't making another eON version.

This is all pretty cool. Too bad it's mostly Steam-only games, but at least this may attract more users to Linux.

Top Bottom