Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
Useful for older titles, but I don't think it covers Direct3D 11. It's not really needed for new games. Serious games should use native OpenGL backend, not a translation layer.

That's true but I guess Valve tries to get as many games ported as possible for official SteamOS final launch. I wouldn't mind if there's plenty of older games available as well.

Linux version of The Bard's Tale is available on Desura for purchase: http://www.desura.com/games/the-bards-tale
Before it was a part of various Humble Bundles, but it still didn't appear in the Humble Store. Now, Desura offers it at last on a constant basis (DRM free).

abusing the metaphor, it probably means they decided to put it in their mouths to try and decide whether they should go ahead and swallow, instead of plainly rejecting by just looking at it like a child. So I suppose it is a step forward, but a very small one.

There are already a few games I bought elsewhere where I could get a DRM-free Linux version. I would have rather purchased from GOG if they offered Linux binaries, so I hope this happens soon.

I'm currently playing the alpha version of Sui Generis and people have successfully gotten it to run in Linux using Wine. Sui Generis uses OpenGL but the devs haven't built an actual native Linux client yet. They say after the full release of the game that a native Linux client shouldn't be too difficult to make. I haven't ran it yet in Linux but people claim they are getting roughly the same FPS they were getting in Windows.

Here's a quote from the lead programmer:
Besides OpenGL and OpenAL the engine uses no external libraries and its reliance on any kind of OS functionality is truly minimal so I would expect it to be fairly painless.

Exciting news! A great boost for DRM free gaming. Doing that GOG will gain a lot of goodwill in DRM-free and Linux community. I hope it's a first step in Witcher 3 coming to Linux as well ;D

Not sure what it really means, but I suppose we can assume there is such a thing as "The Witcher 2 Linux Beta". Well, cool! :)

This and GOG w/ Linux, FINALLY! Guess we can expect more people coming to the Linux threads from now on.

At last, for the first time: GOG.com and The Witcher, truly DRM-free.

Very interesting indeed. Since TW2 worked on OSX through DX translation layer, they could just trivially port that to Linux I guess. I hope it's a sign of CDPR reversing their stance of "can't support Linux - too many distros!".

Top Bottom