Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
I think CDPR and GOG were simply avoiding the matter of Linux, maybe because they weren't sufficiently knowledgeable. You'd think the prospect of 100% DRM-free gaming should be interesting especially to them, so I wouldn't be too surprised if we found out they had actually been looking into it... at least a little bit.

With GOG's announcement I think we all imagined this could be the case. For now, we can only wait and speculate.

Will TW3 be available for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows simultaneously? What about the packaged, retail versions?

I get a feeling Witcher games will soon get tons of new dedicated fans from the Linux crowd who didn't even play the series before :)

I don't expect TW3 to come out for Linux together with Windows and consoles versions. Simply because the later were already scheduled. If TW3 for Linux is even planned, it will appear sometime later. But I hope it will. Of course CDPR can pull some magic trick and make a simultaneous release. Especially since now they have more time.

Last edited:
An interesting post by the lead KWin developer: Why the display server DOES matter.
It's an answer to an earlier post by Mir proponents who claimed that display server doesn't matter.

Martin Gräßlin position looks way more logical to me. Canonical's claims that adding another display server introduces no issues is weird. It puts a huge burden on toolkit developers, drivers developers and window manager / compositor developers to support an additional graphical backend. I can perfectly understand unwillingness of KWin developers to spend time on it.

Last edited:
That's excellent. Does this affect UE3 games? I'd like to see games like MK Komplete Edition, XCOM EU & EW, Outlast, and the super anticipated Batman series released for Linux. This is a start. Let no one say "Linux is for servers only". Soon thereafter we might start seeing the first AAA DRM-free releases.

Notice how they say SteamOS and Linux, not just a distribution specific package for SteamOS.

Not sure about UE3. But in the past older UE always supported Linux, but they didn't release their tools for it necessarily. There was even Deus Ex port in the works (UE1) but it never came out.

Icebound - a visual novel game comes out for Linux:

http://www.iceboundgame.com
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/icebound/Isldkw10dk

Top Bottom