Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
@Sirnaq: Is it official? I didn't see anything from CDPR. In the past Steam showed TW2 Linux version as being in closed beta. If anyone is using Steam (I don't), can you please verify if TW2 is indeed available for sale? If it is - it's great news.

UPDATE: Indeed it's official! What's missing is the DRM-free version though. Where can one get it in the absence of Linux support on GOG until this autumn?

Last edited:
This what happens when you run steam.

Also straight from steam store page:

Last edited:
Holy shit! The Witcher 2 *is* available for Linux! CDPR should post a huge announcement celebrating this.

Can we expect the same from The Witcher 3?

Edit: guess they did announce. Cool!

Last edited:
Yeah, let's see some official statement from CDPR. But it would be dumb for them not to sell it on GOG too. I don't expect it to be Steam exclusive. I'll wait with preordering until such confirmation anyway.

Porting to Linux can probably explain the delay until February 2015 (some already speculated about it as a reason, but there was no indication of that until now).

Last edited:
Gotta love how people who don't know or care about Linux gaming try being antagonistic. But hey this is a free and open thread.

Personally I think this is good, and might be great if this time CDPR actually delivers a native version. With the need to diversify for the PS4 and so on, I think there's a good chance we'll see the real thing this time.

Last edited:
Some people might like to be antagonistic regardless whether it's about Linux or not ;D

Yes, chances are high that it's a native port simply because the engine is very demanding and using latest hardware features. I don't know of any wrappers which actually can translate DirectX 11 into OpenGL 4, so native engine is very probable (unless some wrapper like that was secretly developed meanwhile). Plus, since they want to license the engine to other developers, making a solid native version is in their direct interest.

What I find strange however, that these news appear just a few days after GOG's announcements. Why didn't they talk about it then?

Last edited:
What I find strange however, that these news appear just a few days after GOG's announcements. Why didn't talk about it then?
It's pretty clear to me, Valve has support on SteamOS/Linux while the conference was a gog.com thing. Announcing it like this without gog.com Linux support would steal CDP/gog thunder. In the mean time, gog.com loses some sales and even Steam loses some, see the price differences ranging from 10 to 13 euros.

It's pretty clear to me, Valve has support on SteamOS/Linux while the conference was a gog.com thing. Announcing it like this without gog.com Linux support would steal CDP/gog thunder. In the mean time, gog.com loses some sales and even Steam loses some, see the price differences ranging from 10 to 13 euros.

GOG already said that Linux support is coming this year, so it's not news anymore. Announcing WItchher 3 on Linux would be quite in line with their previous announcement, since WItcher 3 is coming next year only (so definitely after Linux sales on GOG will go live). May be Valve asked them not to announce it, who knows.

If you are somehow expecting the SteamOS version to come out before SteamBox does or at the very least until Steam OS get's out of beta then I think you're quite mistaken.

Developers, real developers not wannabe indies, don't give two shits about the current Linux market.

EDIT: I should say publishers don't give two shits, anyway I look at some people who are going to publish on Steam OS and Steam Box and I want to go there and punch them in the face: Yeah sure Creative Assembly go release an Open GL version of your game, but how about first fixing your piece of shit 32 bit, unoptimized crap game?

Oh and this is PC EXCLUSIVE. "spits"

Last edited:
Top Bottom