Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
Some hawkeyes on Gaming on Linux have spotted information pointing to Bioshock Infinite coming to Linux. Lots of big name titles going multi-platform from the publisher 2k :) It'll likely be Steam exclusive though.

Stream exclusive or not, it will attract all sorts of attention to Linux gaming. More people, more support, better and more drivers, etc. DRM free gaming is kind of a different battle.

I got first Bioshock (Windows only) on HB a while ago. It was DRM-free and worked in Wine well. The idea in the game is original enough to set it apart from many shooters. It's not available in the Humble Store though, it was a one time bundle deal.

Never really looked at Bioshock Infinite, but it's interesting that they decided to port it to Linux. I think GOG were trying to convince 2K to start selling games DRM-free but so far they were unsuccessful. The above case with HB shows that they are at least experimenting with the idea. I suspect that now after they signed up Disney / Lucas Arts, GOG will concentrate their efforts on convincing 2K to start distributing DRM-free.

Last edited:
I really like the recent 2K catalogue and it is kind of a big deal their games are coming out for Linux. DRM free would be the next step :)

I really like the recent 2K catalogue and it is kind of a big deal their games are coming out for Linux. DRM free would be the next step :)

Do you mean some games in particular (that you like)? I've heard they released Borderlands 2 for Linux as well as Civilization Beyond Earth, but since they were Steam only I didn't really pay much attention to evaluate the games themselves (or any other 2K games for that matter). But in general 2K seems like one of the major publishers who is now taking Linux seriously.

At least 2K (or more correctly Aspyr's) efforts are bringing some drivers improvement:
http://blog.gameagent.com/civilization-beyond-earth-mac-linux-dev-update-6/

Both AMD and Intel have been quick and eager to help with these issues.  With their guidance, we’ve made great improvements over the last 24 hours and while there is still a lot of work to do, we are confident that support for both chipsets will be implemented asap.  We will be back with more info next week, but we wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to the fine folks at AMD and Intel for their help!

---------- Updated at 06:44 AM ----------

Unrelated: Double Fine are working on remastered Day of The Tentacle, and it will have a Linux version as well: http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/06/dou...l-edition-broken-age-ps4-grim-fandango-video/

Last edited:
Do you mean some games in particular (that you like)? I've heard they released Borderlands 2 for Linux as well as Civilization Beyond Earth, but since they were Steam only I didn't really pay much attention to evaluate the games themselves (or any other 2K games for that matter). But in general 2K seems like one of the major publishers who is now taking Linux seriously.

At least 2K (or more correctly Aspyr's) efforts are bringing some drivers improvement:
http://blog.gameagent.com/civilization-beyond-earth-mac-linux-dev-update-6/

---------- Updated at 06:44 AM ----------

Unrelated: Double Fine are working on remastered Day of The Tentacle, and it will have a Linux version as well: http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/06/dou...l-edition-broken-age-ps4-grim-fandango-video/

Yeah in particular, I enjoyed XCOM: Enemy Unknown and its expansion and I'm interested in Civilization: Beyond Earth. Good to know that one is also coming out on Linux.

And holy shit! A remastered Day of the Tentacle almost deserves its own thread! That's one of my all time favorite games right there.

I might have to grab both enhanced BG's when they're on sale. Who knows? After all the patches maybe they are the definitive versions.

And the fresh coat of varnish might just keep them relevant for another 15 years.

I was not at all impressed with the state of Metro Last Light on Linux when I played it nearly a year after its release. I experienced several crashes, with a few levels being nearly unplayable. The game is more or less ironed out now, and its good enough that I've played through a couple of times :)

I didn't think I was going to make it past Metro 2033 Redux's first loading screen. There is something seriously wrong there. The player character gives some info through audio and text about the level but that does not work at all. The frame rate tanks, and the audio and text completely shut down. However, everything loads in the background, if a bit slow at first. Looking around it seems a very common issue even on speedy SSD's.

The in game options menu is pretty terrible. The generic Low, Medium, etc. is hardly an improvement over Last Light's slider, so any fine tuning needs to be done in the somewhat messy text file again :(

Thankfully, the game is incredible and looks amazing. No crashing, no broken levels just problems that seem more or less cosmetic. Like a cake that's been sat on, it still tastes lovely :) For optimum play, create a "scary movie environment" for yourself :p I feel like I'm more or less halfway though, only spotting a few texture flickerings and one unfortunate case in which a family of monsters thought it clever to murder my immersion and attack me through the floor. Its an awesome game that behaves better than Last Light (no crashing :p ) but its still a bit rough.

Just realized the Deponia series is now available for Linux, at GOG.com.

Deponia is made by German developers Daedalic Entertainment, known for other adventure games such as Edna & Harvey, The Whispered World and two adventure games set in The Dark Eye RPG universe: Chains of Satinav and Memoria. Daedalic is also the developer of the very solid strategy game series Blackguards.

Deponia follows the story of Rufus, an egotistic, dislikable jerk who is hellbent on leaving his home planet Deponia, essentially a gigantic dumpster, and move on to Elysium where rumor says everyone lives in luxury. Rufus gets an opportunity to sneak into Elysium when he meets Goal, an Elysian who ends up in Deponia by accident. By trying to use Goal as his ticket to Elysium Rufus discovers a plan that might threaten the entire planet of Deponia.

The game series is divided in three games, each one progressively more polished and entertaining. While Rufus is an annoying jerk and makes the game hard to tolerate, the games themselves are quite good and offer some interesting puzzles and narrative that is truly funny. Some other puzzles are just awkward, arbitrary and obscure, but thankfully these are not too many.

If you are able, play the game in German. The voice acting is delivered much, much better.

Also, Blackguards 2 was announced to be coming out for Linux eventually. Seems like Daedalic are on the right path.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Duuuuuuude!! That would be incredible! :fun:

I saw where Torchlight 2 is coming to Steam on LInux very soon. Is the port of the first game lost to the ages? :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom