Gaming systems

+
pnjunction said:
I'm happy for now though, I can run TW on high (except grass and draw distance down a notch) at 1920x1200 and it only really dips below 20fps in the Trade District. Can anybody else with a 4870 fill me in on whether I am far off what I could get with a faster CPU+RAM? 3dmark2006 gives me 10k when faster systems get closer to 14k with the 4870 but I don't trust benchmarks.
I don't have a 4870, but from my experience I would say you could gain enough fps to play the witcher without dropping below the magic 30 fps line.After I upgraded to my 720 be from a 5000 x2 be (3.2) I am stable above 35 fps no matter which map. That's about 15 fps more than before.Same for mass effect. Ram would give you another boost, especially with bigger files being processed.

SaSeba said:
I don't have a 4870, but from my experience I would say you could gain enough fps to play the witcher without dropping below the magic 30 fps line.After I upgraded to my 720 be from a 5000 x2 be (3.2) I am stable above 35 fps no matter which map. That's about 15 fps more than before.Same for mass effect. Ram would give you another boost, especially with bigger files being processed.
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the CPU was so limiting in this game. Thinking back it makes sense, every time I quit the game and look at task manager the CPU usage history is maxed out. Also explains why the GPU doesn't heat up much when I play this game (haven't checked with others this is the first I've played), it might not even be breaking a sweat.I might try cranking the AA up to 4x, if it's really CPU-limited it shouldn't make much difference. Might end up upgrading sooner than I had planned, oh well this trusty old setup will make a good torrent/fileserver box with my old 7900gs and 400W supply in it.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+Mobo: Asus M2N SLI DeluxRAM: 4x2GB PC 6400 DDR2 Dual ChannelVideo: 512 MB Nvidia 9800 GTX+HD: 250 GB SeagatePSU: Ultra 600WHDTV: 26" Samsung HDTVSound: Software High Definition AudioChassis: Antec 900OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 64 BitPlan on getting a Phenon X4 one of these days and a sound card. At least I don't have to worry about RAM. :)

Nice overclock!! Care to share the bios settings?How's that Solo, btw? Those suspended hdd mounts must be decreasing noise quite a bit.

SaSeba said:
Nice overclock!! Care to share the bios settings?
these are mostly motherboard related i think, so results may vary, my MSI K9A2 CF-F is rather pickyso:D.O.T setting: General 15% ( proprietary feature i think, will not even boot with this disabled on any OC )Cool'n'Quiet gets disabled anyway :(HyperTransport - 4xBus - 260MHzMultiplicator - 12xMemory settings - 5-5-5-15Memory freq - 1040MHz ( these A-Data deliver more than you'd expect )CPU Voltage - 1.34V ( you need 1.3V just to get 3GHz )Memory Voltage - 2.3V
SaSeba said:
How's that Solo, btw? Those suspended hdd mounts must be decreasing noise quite a bit.
yep, having rather quiet drives helps toounfortunately one of those drives is actually heavier than the other, althought they're the same series, they look a bit different on the electronic side, the motor part at least, so the top suspension ended up being loosened after an year, now it basicaly lowers the drive position by 2cm, strange, for now i've switched drives aroundi could just replace the loosened one with the middle one that was never used, but it must be displaced from the unseen part of the drive cage, where all the cable management part is, so i'd have to untagle all the wires there, and i'm not really in the mood for now, maybe in my easter holiday i'll find some time

Top Bottom