Gamma Issue Workaround

+
I've been having a problem where the game was just too dark even in interiors that are supposed to be brightly lit such as taverns. I found a fix which entails making a minor edit to a file. What it does it that it broadens the gamma range of the slider in the game menu, from total darkness on the left of the scale to a white-out on the right. It allows me to set the gamma such that when the wolf head is barely visible the slider is at around the half-way up the scale, as opposed to all the way to the right in the default game.
The other issue is that the setting doesn't "stick" and sometimes even with this fix applied when launching the game it is darker than it should be. However now that the gamma range has been broadened I just to go to the game menu and adjust the gamma slider. A jiggle solves the problem.

Link to the fix (how to): https://www.scorp13.com/en/entertainment/games/too-dark-light-gamma-in-the-witcher-3-game.html

The original lighting in the game is really very modest. The reason (this is just my hypothesis, not exact knowledge) is taking into account the computing capabilities of an average computer or game console at the time of 2015.
It is enough to increase the quantity of rays, the radius of action and slightly add intensity for the light sources, and absolutely everything in the game acquires "normal" lighting (in my subjective opinion). But the payment for this is the increased load on the video card. At a screen resolution of 1920x1080, I did not find that the load was exceeded by more than 2-4%, but at a 4K screen resolution, the load on the video card increased by 10-15% (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080).

Increasing the brightness only on the monitor does not solve this problem, since the balance of black and white is greatly disturbed, strong backlight reduces the perception of color. The game needs to be illuminate "from the inside".

light.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom