Gamma issues

+
Gamma issues

Hi,

The game is super dark for me and I cannot seem to fix it. Under the "gamma" settings (and yes I'm running in full screen mode) the witcher icon is completely unvisible even with the setting maxed. I was able to fix this originally by editing the "visuals" file under the "base" folder and manually changing the game to a very high number, however the game is now completely ignoring my manual settings and is completely dark again.

Please help?

Silly question, I know, but: Did you try to adjust your monitor brightness settings? (If you use a TV, the question is the same).

Often with friends I find, that they played on their monitor settings, and compensated later with desktop/game settings. Try to adjust your monitor, and try on the desktop to adjust with NVIDIAs control center. Before you use the game settings, your monitor and desktop settings have to be ok. This also can be done with a photo of a landscape in daylight, if you look at it (using Windows explorer) it should look natural. Every monitor should have a brightness setting.

There are monitors (like mine for example) which have programs/tools which you can use to change the settings in the systems lookup table. Make sure, that your monitor uses a standard sRGB profile or (if it can do that) an ADOBE profile. This profile is a lookup table in Windows, which you can change with tools.

Many monitors allow gamma settings in the monitor controls, without Windows. Check these settings, because if they are completely wrong, you can only hope to compensate, or not even that.

If these things are all ok, then try to fiddle with the game settings.

My profile is ADOBE RGB, my monitor is not color calibrated, but I could calibrate it, and it has a self calibrate mode. I have to admit, that the game at times has to strong colors and too much contrast. The drastic weather colors are often a bit too drastic. But the game is not too dark on my monitor.

I hope these tips help a bit...

(EDIT: Typos)

Last edited:
Yes, it's not my monitor, the game seems to run at an independent (and ungodly low) gamma/brightness setting. It's the same on both my monitor (Sony GDM-FW900) as well as my TV which I have hooked-up via HDMI (Panasonic Plasma VT50).

Again, I had fixed it via editing .ini files, however the game seems to now ignore my edits :(

I had the same problems.
But what I find even more frustrating is that I have to choose between running full screen and be able to adjust gamma, but have the game crash if I use alt Tab.
Or use borderless windowed and have no problems with Alt Tab, but not be able to adjust gamma.

I know I can adjust the gamma/brightness on my desktop, but the problem is that it makes the screen too bright when not in the game, so I would have to adjust it back and forth every time I start and stop playing.
But I also do quite a bit of Alt Tab to windows for various reasons while playing, so this becomes an even more pronounced issue for me then.

Why must I be forced to run the game in full screen just to be able to adjust Gamma?
Why cant I adjust the gamma regardless of how I play the game?
I just dont see the logic in the design here.

Last edited:
GAMMA REGULATION PROBLEM

1. A detailed description of problem
what happens:
gamma slider does not change anything - no matter if moved to left or to right only completely black circle is visible above slider and game is far to dark. Game runs fullscreen in 1366x768 on laptop display (Native res. 1920x1080). Brightness in laptop settings is maxed. Game runs on laptops "max performance" setting. Optimized settings from Nvidia Geforce Experience are loaded.

where it occurs in the game:
its option menu - related

2. The platform I game on:
PC Asus Notebook
3. system specs:
proc.: INTEL i7-4700HQ 2,4GHz
graph.: GEFORCE GTX 850M 4Gb
RAM: 8Gb
HDD: plenty of free space on disk (over 130Gb)
SYS: Windows 8.1 x64

game location (!): C:\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (chosen manually)

4. How often it occurs.
every time I start the game.

Top Bottom