Gang feature: The Mox

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse.

I guess this is the same gang that was called Lizzies and which graffittis were shown in the Behind the Music video. If so, I love the "branding" of this gang, they seem very inspired by the posergang culture of 2020 :ok:

Would be interesting to know the inspiration for the moniker. Mox in MTG was apparently inspired by Moxie.

So we have Lizzie Wizzie and Lizzie Borden?
"Lizzie" Borden died in 2076 (the original was 1860-1927), so only in spirit.

I do find the axe in their logo interesting tho.
Cyberpunk is a violent world, I suspect if someone abuses a sex worker enough for "The Mox" to pay them a visit the results are messy.

MY BAD!
That red line at the bottom, with a larger red something on either side ... I thought that was a double-bitted axe.
Oops ...

You still might be a bit onto something, because the Lizzies had an axe on one of their graffitis:

do.JPG

And I think the band Lizzy Wizzy and the Metadwarves have/had a similar logo (can’t find the logo I saw yet, so don’t quote me on that :LOL: ) Because of that, I think the Lizzies probably were originally conceived in pre-production as a Lizzy Wizzy posergang.

(All assumptions, mind you. The Lizzies might still be a thing apart from the Moxes.)

Last edited:
So are the Lizzies and the Mox related? Are they the same gang? I'm confused. Also, I hope the writers can dress up the source material to be slightly less cheesy.

Last edited:
Seems like whoever created this gang rushed it since they were created a year before 2077. It makes me feel like they were created because of the game and not the lore.

So are the Lizzies and the Mox related? Are they the same gang? I'm confused. Also, I hope the writers can dress up the source material to be slightly less cheesy.

I think they're different gangs. Not sure what source material is cheesy, care to elaborate?

Seems like whoever created this gang rushed it since they were created a year before 2077. It makes me feel like they were created because of the game and not the lore.

With collaboration with Mike Pondsmith and having the story playable months ago, I seriously doubt there is a difference. It's 57 years since 2020, surely there HAS to be new lore and I'm quite sure Mike would have been consulted and approved it. Don't forget Mike is doing lore from 2020-2060 and CDPR is doing everything from 2060 onwards.

I think they're different gangs. Not sure what source material is cheesy, care to elaborate?
So they both have the same nickname. Odd. And confusing.

As for what's cheesy? All the names and lore, for the most part. But then I'm coming from The Witcher series where they adapted a professional author's work. Cyberpunk lore by comparison- I'm sorry not trying to be a dick- but it sounds like someone in junior high thought this stuff up. I'm simply used to better writng from CDPR.

I'm simply used to better writng from CDPR.
Well ...

The Witcher series was based on dark, dramatic, lower-fantasy novels.

Cyberpunk is a PnP RPG entirely created from the minds of people attempting to forecast the future (and that NEVER goes well).

There are as many similarities as differences between the two. The main difference being one was created by a single person with an emphasis on drama the other by a group of people (and we all know about anything designed by committee) with an emphasis on trying to prosper in an all pervasive system intended to crush the individual and make them a nice cooperative consumer. So the fact that the writing/design style is different should hardly be surprising.

So they both have the same nickname. Odd. And confusing.

As for what's cheesy? All the names and lore, for the most part. But then I'm coming from The Witcher series where they adapted a professional author's work. Cyberpunk lore by comparison- I'm sorry not trying to be a dick- but it sounds like someone in junior high thought this stuff up. I'm simply used to better writng from CDPR.

Same nickname? The Lizzies <-> The Mox ... What? Not confusing, I think you confused yourself, Choomba. Forget the nickname from whom The Mox was founded on. Does that help?

Mike Pondsmith, from what I can tell, is not a professional author like Andrzej Sapkowski, so yeah I guess. The vision of a dystopian reality how Pondsmith presents it, back in the 80's/90's still holds up today somewhat (sadly and very eerily, too). Most of that isn't really portrayed, or if it is, we can't really tell because our somewhat dark reality mirrors too much of that dystopia. I'm not even going to speculate how the new lore material 2021-2077 reflects upon today without having played the game and read the full lore from Cyberpunk RED.

Names...Johnny Silverhand, Morgan Blackhand, etc... yeah those are 'cheesy' as fuck, I agree, but those were written in the late 80's/early 90's. Even some of the character illustrations in the 2020 source book are cheesy, because they're dated. So there is validity that "someone in junior high thought this stuff up": Most of the women portrayed in that source book all dress like sex workers, while the men don't - a probable sign of a horny heterosexual teen. In contrast, one example there is Cindy from the 2018 demo, so props to CDPR for a more balanced approach.

And in terms of lore 2060 onwards we know next to nothing, only snippets, descriptions, etc. Everyone is using 2020 source material and what we know from Cyberpunk RED Jump Starter Kit at this stage. So there is a massive lore gap.

In terms of story writing, I thought V kept her cool with Dex havin' a 'flow to their convo', Jackie talked like a cyberpunk, even the Trauma Team soldier did (made me pray hard for a Trauma Team DLC) ...but that's just my 2 eddies.

The best way to gauge the level of story writing, is to ask what you thought of dialogue between V and the various NPC's:
Jackie, Dex, Stout, Placide, Netwatch Agent, etc? Also keep in mind, that what was shown may have been changed completely since then...

Back to the topic,

Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse.

This really tells me little, it's like a fish out of water. There is little context in terms of how this relates to that world. It seems like a rarity for people to come together and care about others at all. Those willing to betray and find more value in a can of Nicola compared to human life seems the norm and the Zeitgeist of the Cyberpunk universe. How does The Mox come in context with style over substance, survival at the level the people in 2077 have to deal with, the darker future (2077) of a dark future (2020), etc.? Guess we have to wait and play the game to find out, no?

My guess is that that they were called the Lizzies earlier in development but then decided to change it when people (somewhat unsurprisingly) assumed they were a Lizzie Wizzie poser gang.

It's difficult to see, but one of the tattoos in the 48 minute game play uses the same skull and bow motif as the moxes have now, but with Lizzies written beneath it.
SmartSelect_20200410-071807_YouTube.jpg

Top Bottom