Gang feature: The Mox

+
Also, I hope the writers can dress up the source material to be slightly less cheesy.
Based on what we've seen (and I have seen) so far, developers are clearly aware of the original's cheesiness and are pretty picky about what is going to work on-screen and what is not. That's why they redesigned Maelstrom, who in the original looked more like a gang of heavy metal fans, into an actually scary looking human/machine hybrids, changed Voodoo Boys from a bunch of white boys with genetically altered skin color who are carrying chicken feets around and leave chicken bones in people's doorsteps as a prank into an actual Haitians and a gang of cool Netrunners, Valentinos from Johnny Bravo posergang into a slick looking (based on steelbook design) Guardian gang for Latino community, etc.

And if you watched or read Sin City, you can see how gang like The Mox might possibly look like in-game.

image-w1280.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, as long as it’s not overly done I’m not worried about the cheesiness of some of the gangs in 2077, they actually work well as homage/nostalgia for 2020 and it makes the game stand out from all the excessive drabness and dourness of other cyberpunk works... Things which I don’t dislike, mind you, but we’ve seen them done to death in the genre.

And, knowing CDPR, I believe they can handle both humor and drama competently in that regard. Case in point: the gangs of The Witcher 3. Even though I’m of the opinion that the novigradian arc wasn’t the strongest of the game it still was pretty exciting, thanks in part to the quasi-Guy Ritchie-esque fun-but-also-disturbing gangs storyline.

Based on what we've seen (and I have seen) so far, developers are clearly aware of the original's cheesiness and are pretty picky about what is going to work on-screen and what is not. That's why they redesigned Maelstrom, who in the original looked more like a gang of heavy metal fans, into an actually scary looking human/machine hybrids, changed Voodoo Boys from a bunch of white boys with genetically altered skin color who are carrying chicken feets around and leave chicken bones in people's doorsteps as a prank into an actual Haitians and a gang of cool Netrunners, Valentinos from Johnny Bravo posergang into a slick looking (based on steelbook design) Guardian gang for Latino community, etc.

I’ve loved the redesign of the previously-existing gangs they’ve shown so far, although I’m intrigued to see how they transformed into their current incarnations without resorting to retcon. For instance, of all the people in Night City how did the Valentinos turn into a cyberchicano gang in 2077? (Judging by CDPR’s recent Twitter activity, we might know soon enough.)

As for what's cheesy? All the names and lore, for the most part. But then I'm coming from The Witcher series where they adapted a professional author's work. Cyberpunk lore by comparison- I'm sorry not trying to be a dick- but it sounds like someone in junior high thought this stuff up. I'm simply used to better writng from CDPR.

heh.
*finds Ciri with the seven dwarfs.*
no cheese to be seen here~

As for what's cheesy? All the names and lore, for the most part.

The biggest, and pretty much the only issue I have with cheesiness of the source material, is Pondsmith's naming of NPCs. (Ok, and the posergangs I guess)

Johnny SIlverhand, Morgan blackhand, Max Hammerman from Max-tac, leader of Maelstrom being called 'the Hammer'...
HHNNNNRRRgggghhhhh

Yeah, some of this stuff was bad even by standards of the decade of cheese, the 80s.

Johnny SIlverhand is ok by himself (he literally has a shiny arm after all). If they just quietly drop the other culprits and introduce slightly more cheese-adjusted characters, then we are fine.

ps. Reading the source material for the first time, I notice a great deal of parallels with V and a character from the past called 'Rogue' btw. She looks very much like the female V in my opinion, is a badass solo, has a hispanic sidekick, and is an ex-flame of Johnny...

Last edited:
ps. Reading the source material for the first time, I notice a great deal of parallels with V and a character from the past called 'Rogue' btw. She looks very much like the female V in my opinion, is a badass solo, has a hispanic sidekick, and is an ex-flame of Johnny...

I’m also not too familiarized with the lore but did know a bit about those characters and found it cool that the V and Jackie from the 48 minute demo felt like a homage to them (which it quite probably was.)

MY BAD!
That red line at the bottom, with a larger red something on either side ... I thought that was a double-bitted axe.
Oops ...
The pinkish line under mox appears to me to be a handle and to the left of the handle, what looks similar to a native tomahawk head shape. Cant quite identify the image to the right of the handle.

Pretty sure they're the same. The Lizzies have the same logos in the 2018 footage as The Mox do know.

But they could've evolved into different gangs. Afaik the reason why Cyberpunk red hasn't released yet, is because they are ensuring the lore is consistent between it and CP2077. In other words, seems that CP2077 decides what the lore is and cyberpunk red mirrors it, rather than the other way around. If the devs wanna change the gangs, then it will happen.

Judging from the descriptions, the gangs SEEM different. One is a poser gang that idolizes Lizzy Wizzy, the other is a guardian gang that protects those in the sex trade. These seem like two different things.

But they could've evolved into different gangs. Afaik the reason why Cyberpunk red hasn't released yet, is because they are ensuring the lore is consistent between it and CP2077. In other words, seems that CP2077 decides what the lore is and cyberpunk red mirrors it, rather than the other way around. If the devs wanna change the gangs, then it will happen.

Judging from the descriptions, the gangs SEEM different. One is a poser gang that idolizes Lizzy Wizzy, the other is a guardian gang that protects those in the sex trade. These seem like two different things.
That's fair, I just don't remember where the information about The Lizzies come from. I was under the impression that we saw the earlier trailers and collectively reached the conclusion that they are a poser gang, based on nothing but their name.

That's fair, I just don't remember where the information about The Lizzies come from. I was under the impression that we saw the earlier trailers and collectively reached the conclusion that they are a poser gang, based on nothing but their name.

Ok, looking back into this, I cant find the reference either. Either its from the Grimes interview video which has been taken off air since, or somebody connected dots they shouldn't have. I take back what I said, this is not as obvious as I thought. Lizzies might have been a reference to that 'Lizzie' Borden mentioned in the Moxes backstory.

Good question. I'm still confused.
From the Cyberpunk wiki

"Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse."

So the main difference is between the Lizzie's, One is "Lizzie" Borden the Strip-club owner, The other is Lizzy Wizzy the famous singer,

One is a violent fan-club, And the other is a vigilante group protecting Sex-workers.

From the Cyberpunk wiki

"Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse."

So the main difference is between the Lizzie's, One is "Lizzie" Borden the Strip-club owner, The other is Lizzy Wizzy the famous singer,

One is a violent fan-club, And the other is a vigilante group protecting Sex-workers.

the wiki is not a very reliable source of information (no wiki ever is), since it can be edited by anyone (and usually its just us normal players). The wiki does mention lizzies being Lizzy Wizzy fan club, but the page does not cite any references. Therefore we dont know where that info came from, it could be from somebodys ass.

the wiki is not a very reliable source of information (no wiki ever is), since it can be edited by anyone (and usually its just us normal players). The wiki does mention lizzies being Lizzy Wizzy fan club, but the page does not cite any references. Therefore we dont know where that info came from, it could be from somebodys ass.

Just looked it up, The info comes from a tweet from the Cyberpunk 2077 official twitter page,

Just looked it up, The info comes from a tweet from the Cyberpunk 2077 official twitter page,

Err no. That is about the gang "moxies". I was referring to where the name of "the Lizzies" came from, and whether these are the same gangs or not. Focus on my post, not the post I quoted.

That tweet does not mention the name "Lizzies".

The Mox make sense to me as protectors of the Adult industry. I have no doubt the Corpos, NCPD and others look away when some tragedy strikes the sex workers so they decided to police their own.

Top Bottom