Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge explained!

+

Hey everyone!

With the new expansion dropping there’s a lot of new content to play around with, that is why we have decided to have a one month break between Geralt's Journey and the next one (whose could it be? Is it the pellar's goat, named Princess? Who knows!).

But to give everyone something to complete and earn rewards with, we (I mean Gaunter of course) created Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge! What does it entail? Glad that you asked:

In total it is a 6 stage challenge series. Each challenge takes 6 days and will contain three factions. Each next stage will phase out one faction and introduce another. The full schedule can be seen below:

Besides the factions rotating in and out, there is also a sale on faction kegs every week. The schedule can be found above.

During each stage, you get to choose one of the three factions to support and complete quests for. The first three quests always reward you with 30 CP and the fourth one grants you the following titles:
  • Skellige = WarmongerMonsters = InvaderScoia’tael = MotherSyndicate = De AldersbergNilfgaard = GeneralNorthern Realms = Outcast
After completing the first four quests, you unlock a fifth quest which is repeatable every day and grants 1 RP.

For those wondering about the Challenge in combination with the old/new reward system, we have prepared a FAQ below.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Daily Crown change and Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge FAQ

Where is the old system with crown points being granted for 6/12/24/24 round wins?

A: When we introduced Journey, the old system was retired. Now there was one exception - for players who reached level 100 before Journey ended, this old system (minus “small rewards”) kicked in temporarily until a new Journey will start. It’s worth mentioning that the next Journeys won’t have this old system anymore.

Why change the system for July? Why fix something, which isn’t broken?

Once we knew that there would be no Journey in July, we’ve decided to introduce something cool and flavorful, considering the release of the newest expansion. The old system alone wasn’t interesting enough, hence Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge became a thing. While it’s not a 1 to 1 substitute for Journey, it’s designed to ensure a comparable output of resources for players and provide reasons to try different factions and archetypes introduced in Master Mirror. The nerf of basic progression (Daily Crown) was needed to balance the Challenge.

So is the new system worse than Journey in terms of resource output or not?

A: Let’s see:
  1. Daily Crown progression is consistent with Journey progression -> 24CP = 2RP
  2. Weekly Bonuses from 3 Journey Weekly Quests (20CP each) are replaced by 3 Weekly Challenge quests (30CP* each). Each Challenge is a day shorter than Journey Weekly quests which makes it a little bit better for players.
  3. Daily Bonus from Journey “Well Rested” (max 14 CP daily) is replaced by a repeatable Challenge quest that gives 1RP for each time it’s completed. This repeatable Challenge quest becomes available after players complete first all 4 base Challenge quests.

To sum it up, for players actively participating in Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge, combined with Daily Crowns progression, it will generate the same amount (or even slightly more) of resources each week vs active f2p Journey.

*Due to configuration error - for the first few hours since the update this quest was giving 20 CP instead of 30. This was already fixed and all affected players will be compensated retroactively.

Why wasn't this properly communicated?

A: In hindsight, we should have spent more time talking about this topic. As you may have noticed, we had some technical issues with 7.0 update and all communication about the update got seriously delayed. However, it’s not a good excuse for not communicating all nuances of the Daily Crown change and its connection to Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge prior to the update. I’m sorry for the confusion caused by the lack of a proper heads-up.

I think its nerfed.

Lets say almost all the player get in journey 10 crowns per day + 14 extra daily extra crowns + 60 crowns week chalenge - total of 228 crowns or something like 9,5 levels in journey (if the player play a little longer in some days he will get 10 levels in a week).

So, assuming you get 2 RP per level and 5 in level 5/10/etc - it will get a total of 26 RP.

In this new sistem, if the player do all the quests in the first day and get more 10 crowns per day, he will get in a week a total of 160 crwons, witch means 6,66 "levels" (i will upgrade to 7, like i did in journey) - so the player will get a total of 14 RP. Since he complete in the first day all the chalenges, it will get one more RP per day. So, in resume, playing the same amount in journey or in this new way, in journey you get 26 RP and now only 21.

EDIT: Ok if i assume thats not all the 5/10/etc level we get 5 RP, i think it will get almost the same amount, but for that you still need do all the quests in the first day

nehu

Forum regular
ok, so huge rnerf vs pre-journey state

maybe RP are similar, but small rewards are gone forever

Last edited:
Hello !

When Journey released and players started complaining about the nerfed ressources income, Slama made a huge post there explaining that the new System is as Good as the Old because after your finish up the Journey, the Old System came Back.

And now, you guys are saying that the Old System will not be longer an Option after Next Journey is finished. This is Greedy, and unfair. But more importantly, this makes Slama statement about "Journey+Old System" is as Good as the Old System completly wrong.

It is really a big disapointement that month after month, Ressources income are nerfed. First Journey, then Meteorite Powder nerf and Now This. Very Very Disapointing. This makes life very difficult for new Players as well as for F2P players.

Gwent is no longer the most generous CCG out there. By a big margin actually.

nehu

Forum regular
That only applied while Journey was active. Many players finished it way before its end date, and were returned to the old system.

it wasnt old system, it was system without small rewards

it has to be real pain to start f2p just now in gwent, grindfest

Hello !

When Journey released and players started complaining about the nerfed ressources income, Slama made a huge post there explaining that the new System is as Good as the Old because after your finish up the Journey, the Old System came Back.

And now, you guys are saying that the Old System will not be longer an Option after Next Journey is finished. This is Greedy, and unfair. But more importantly, this makes Slama statement about "Journey+Old System" is as Good as the Old System completly wrong.

With all due respect, isn't it a bit too early for these statements, considering that it's not yet announced what comes instead of the "Old System" in the next Journey? While quoted Jason's statement was about Journey 1, with its future iterations the target for rewards balance is the same.

With all due respect, isn't it a bit too early for these statements, considering that it's not yet announced what comes instead of the "Old System" in the next Journey? While quoted Jason's statement was about Journey 1, with its future iterations the target for rewards balance is the same.

Hey ThorSeprent,
I don't get it.
Didn't Ryan just mentionned that "It’s worth mentioning that the next Journeys won’t have this old system anymore. " ?
So, from my understanding, There will be no Old System anymore and we after next Journey is finished, we will get this 24 Crowns = 2 RP thing.

Didn't Ryan just mentionned that "It’s worth mentioning that the next Journeys won’t have this old system anymore. " ?
So, from my understanding, There will be no Old System anymore and we after next Journey is finished, we will get this 24 Crowns = 2 RP thing.

Which will be a better thing than the last time!
I finished the journey earlier and wasn't benefitting at all from doing the weekly quests.
Also, the reward system was resetting each day, which is not the case anymore as well.
Post automatically merged:

I have to say that the old system suits some players more.

I think overall the new one works worse only for people that play really a lot (and they probly don't care that much).
For those that play only a few games daily, the new one is better assuming that you are doing the daily quest each day.

Hey everyone!

With the new expansion dropping there’s a lot of new content to play around with, that is why we have decided to have a one month break between Geralt's Journey and the next one (whose could it be? Is it the pellar's goat, named Princess? Who knows!).

But to give everyone something to complete and earn rewards with, we (I mean Gaunter of course) created Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge! What does it entail? Glad that you asked:

In total it is a 6 stage challenge series. Each challenge takes 6 days and will contain three factions. Each next stage will phase out one faction and introduce another. The full schedule can be seen below:

Besides the factions rotating in and out, there is also a sale on faction kegs every week. The schedule can be found above.

During each stage, you get to choose one of the three factions to support and complete quests for. The first three quests always reward you with 30 CP and the fourth one grants you the following titles:
  • Skellige = WarmongerMonsters = InvaderScoia’tael = MotherSyndicate = De AldersbergNilfgaard = GeneralNorthern Realms = Outcast
After completing the first four quests, you unlock a fifth quest which is repeatable every day and grants 1 RP.

For those wondering about the Challenge in combination with the old/new reward system, we have prepared a FAQ below.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Daily Crown change and Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge FAQ

Where is the old system with crown points being granted for 6/12/24/24 round wins?

A: When we introduced Journey, the old system was retired. Now there was one exception - for players who reached level 100 before Journey ended, this old system (minus “small rewards”) kicked in temporarily until a new Journey will start. It’s worth mentioning that the next Journeys won’t have this old system anymore.

Why change the system for July? Why fix something, which isn’t broken?

Once we knew that there would be no Journey in July, we’ve decided to introduce something cool and flavorful, considering the release of the newest expansion. The old system alone wasn’t interesting enough, hence Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge became a thing. While it’s not a 1 to 1 substitute for Journey, it’s designed to ensure a comparable output of resources for players and provide reasons to try different factions and archetypes introduced in Master Mirror. The nerf of basic progression (Daily Crown) was needed to balance the Challenge.

So is the new system worse than Journey in terms of resource output or not?

A: Let’s see:
  1. Daily Crown progression is consistent with Journey progression -> 24CP = 2RP
  2. Weekly Bonuses from 3 Journey Weekly Quests (20CP each) are replaced by 3 Weekly Challenge quests (30CP* each). Each Challenge is a day shorter than Journey Weekly quests which makes it a little bit better for players.
  3. Daily Bonus from Journey “Well Rested” (max 14 CP daily) is replaced by a repeatable Challenge quest that gives 1RP for each time it’s completed. This repeatable Challenge quest becomes available after players complete first all 4 base Challenge quests.

To sum it up, for players actively participating in Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge, combined with Daily Crowns progression, it will generate the same amount (or even slightly more) of resources each week vs active f2p Journey.

*Due to configuration error - for the first few hours since the update this quest was giving 20 CP instead of 30. This was already fixed and all affected players will be compensated retroactively.

Why wasn't this properly communicated?

A: In hindsight, we should have spent more time talking about this topic. As you may have noticed, we had some technical issues with 7.0 update and all communication about the update got seriously delayed. However, it’s not a good excuse for not communicating all nuances of the Daily Crown change and its connection to Gaunter’s Ultimate Challenge prior to the update. I’m sorry for the confusion caused by the lack of a proper heads-up.
This is the first time I comment here and I don't know if you answer to the users or not, but I'll state my arguments nonetheless. 1. We need more games in order to complete each daily quest.
2. Quests are faction "locked", so if someone wants to try different factions and decks he/she has to wait until next week because otherwise he/she won't be able to complete the quests. Please tell me where is the fun in that, especially when the new expansion has just come out!
3. Newer gamers don't have the same resources as veteran ones, so many of them won't be able to complete the quests and of course will easily get tired of the almost total lack of rewards.
4. The old 6/12/24 system was better for people who don't have that much time. They would log in in order to have fun for some games setting a goal to 6 or 12 rounds. Now that this system no longer exists, many won't bother logging in every day.
I really hope for another post from CDPR addressing the various arguments of the community.

Hey ThorSeprent,
I don't get it.
So far I can confirm that "There will be no Old System anymore" part is correct. It doesn't mean that "24 Crowns system" will kick in after level 100. After all, right now, the (slow) resource output of the Daily Crown is being enhanced by Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge to match f2p Journey level of RP generation - with Journey 2, it won't be the case, so the system must work differently.

I have to say that needing 24 crowns to get the minimum 2 reward points is just not worth it. If that ever becomes the default system, then I think I'm done with this game.

Also, I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the real problem with Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge. In order to get remotely decent rewards out of it, you need to own the new Legendary evolving cards, and I'm guessing that most of the relatively new players will only have 1 or 2 of them. I myself only have the ones for Northern Realms and Skellige, and I opened 70 Master Mirror kegs plus around 20 faction kegs; although, I'm fortunate enough to have enough scraps lying around that I could craft the other four if I need to do so.

rrc

Forum veteran
I still don't understand the CP reward from the GOD Ultimate challenge. So, when I complete one challenge, I will get 30 rounds win worth of crowns and I will immediately go to the 6->12->24x2 cycle? Lets say I start my first game of the day with 0 Daily Crowns and I lose the game winning 0 rounds, but finish one quest. Will the Daily Crown go to 12/24 (and grant me 4 RP? 2 for 6 rounds and 2 for 12 rounds?)

What did you do, developers?!
This new deck is overpowered and I haven't said this until now about any deck.
They can call weather effects with a lot of units, one unit calls another and they also have high value.
Did you want to help people that aren't good at strategy but have money? Because using these new Wild Hunt units doesn't require a strategy, just spawn them one after another and spawn frost on every row. I lose 14-20 value in the first round just by those units being put on the battlefield.

Guest 4283381

First time writing here too for me so it's pretty self explanatory. The fact is I love this game, I do my best to get maximum of daily\weekly rewards but I just don't have the time to do what is needed for the new system to get just 2 RP since I have a job\family and don't have that much time to spend on. Previous system was perfect, 2 daily rp were granted and much more stimulating to keep playing since 6 crones gave the feeling that it was easy to complete so even ain't having time often (during the week) I completed 12, sometimes 24 crowns and sincerely don't think that it's that much a problem in accumulated resources since you have so many ways to spend them. In my opinion devs are focusing too much on beta players with a lot of recources without considering newer players, please don't be like Activision, give people cards and let them enjoy the game. Focus on ornaments, premiums, sound tracks, alternative artworks, boards with per type animations. Add fresh stuff weekly so people can spend damn money continuously. Make it time limited\exclusive, people love to have "unique" ornaments, if they can spend they will. Times are changing, it has became normal to spend absurd amounts on digital goods, don't force people to buy cards they will get anyway. The ornaments section in my shop is literally empty because there isn't enough to buy. I understand not everyone cares about this kind of things but wait for player base to grow and you'll see how big this game will become.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom