Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge explained!

+
From what I understood:

2 rp for every 24 crowns

1 rp from daily gaunter challenge after the first 4 challenges are done

30 crowns each for the first 4 (weekly) gaunter challenges which is basically 5 rp per week

So minimum 12 rp per week + however much you want to grind

Like posted on a different topic, this is not enough motivation to keep me going.

Maybe it's time for a break, till the next Journey starts.

im still trying to understand where in the god they think this sistem is better? Its only better to win money.

New player doesnt have the top cards of the new expansion, so they will need to spend some money to get those cards to complete the quests or dont complete the quests and be stucked in the envolving.

Bottom line. If, under the 'old' system that I must have (possibly) played for two days I could have cleared my '6 games won' metric and obtained 2 keys, repeated that for 12 games and thus had four keys and, let's say 2 extra keys on the prestige progression in one hour and now and in future have to do twice as much for the same, then I'm worse off. If I do the same and get the same then I'm not.

To an extent I'm somewhat concerned by the fact that the "Journey system" is to become the norm and thus, from experience, the F2P part will involve a lot of time and often frustration. I'm unconvinced that the idea that every player will win roughly half their games as is expected - this applies across all levels of player, not just those at the top end - and when one of the quests is e.g. "Win 100 games with SK" when it gets matched against an opponent whose deck is (or appears to be) geared towards beating your deck easily (unless you want to take a net deck and just follow the instructions, but where's the fun in that? Especially for a casual player, like me, who plays for fun, not to "WIN, WIN, WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!" - as it sometimes seems, so many others do) and this affects time spent and I, like I think a growing number of people, am somewhat fed up of the lovely things you can get for a 'reasonable price'. That is simply chasing an impossible end condition and is simply a way to obtain money or monetise (same thing) the game but which feels, to me, to be excessive. In short, the allure of the journey system will run out very quickly unless more 'goodies' are added as lures, and it is likely they will be. By clarification of that last sentence I mean that those who buy into this are those who buy into the 'shiny', or superficial, and also that while I am likely to purchase another journey as parts of it were fun at some point (and that will be sooner rather than later) it will become less so as I will have all the cards and then, if not before, the frustration(s) that I and others talk about on this forum will come to the fore more than they do now and they will then become more and more important than other things. Not all of us want to gain 'rank' and be 'pro', whatever that means.

Whether the above is a sustainable business model or not (e.g. it looks towards high burn/turnover rather than slower growth) is something that will have been considered and is, unfortunately, probably sufficiently good as an income creator to remain. I still think a better matchmaking system would be worth more in terms of making the game attractive. But I think it's fair to wait and see what the future holds and wait until others have appraised it and its value before jumping in.

*snip*, or I'll write another essay.

nehu

Forum regular
*snip*, or I'll write another essay.

im surprised, that a lot of RP counting people are completely ignoring missing small rewards

after all RP (keys) are just resources (kegs, ore, scraps), as i dont care about cosmetics

so if there were any amount of RP + small rewards and now its like similar amount of RP without small rewards, its way, WAY worse

also, for not saying i am only complayining, since the devs are readying this topic, i whant to thank CDPR for make the best game ever (witcher 3).

Im 32 years old and never played a game like it, just loved the game.

Ok ok, just one offtopic, back to the central of the discussion

im surprised, that a lot of RP counting people are completely ignoring missing small rewards

after all RP (keys) are just resources (kegs, ore, scraps), as i dont care about cosmetics

so if there were any amount of RP + small rewards and now its like similar amount of RP without small rewards, its way, WAY worse

Hi,

I don't recognise the term 'small rewards', though I do recollect it being used. As I said: I don't think I had enough exposure (if any) to them to be able to comment on them/their value.

I'm glad I started playing a month ago and got to go through the journey. Now at least I can make a deck or two with all the resources I saved up (despite opening 100+ Mirror Kegs and getting 3 legendaries).

If I had started playing Gwent yesterday with the new rewards system, I'm honestly not sure I'd be playing a month later.

Another thing to consider for new players, those "win 3-5 with x faction" quests, are borderline impossible with starting decks. It can get pretty discouraging trying to win 5 times with the NR starter faction in unrakned/seasonal.

It almost drove me away, but I did stick with it.

Here's a big problem, you made it a Faction Challenge where the quests only count for some daily progress and also the last Quest is to play the Evolving card of the faction 10 or more times (Spawn 20 dryads with Eithne for me, I don't have the ST border, chose them). So instead of messing with all new decks, we have to grind (or spam forfeits?) to play 1 legendary 10 or more times. And you can't even Renew her or do something to speed it up. Also Journey was worse than 6 or 18 rounds daily, why go back to it after backlash? Isn't there a middle ground between those easy 6 rounds, maybe harder 18 but also carry over progress to the next day, without having quests that make you play cards / decks you don't want to spam?

Quite the nerf, on top of that resources partly linked to have the evolving cards ... :/

nehu

Forum regular
Hi,

I don't recognise the term 'small rewards', though I do recollect it being used. As I said: I don't think I had enough exposure (if any) to them to be able to comment on them/their value.

former, pre-journey, system

2 reward points for winning 6 first rounds in that day,
2 reward points for winning next 12 rounds,
1 reward point for winning next 24 rounds,
and 1 reward point for winning next 24 rounds

small reward = 15 ore, or 15 scraps or random card or 15 meteorite powder, for winning every 2 rounds in first phase that arent main prize, in second each 4 rounds, In third every 6 rounds, last hadnt small rewards

it was possible to get maximum of 9 small rewards each day

on top of that, it wasnt bonded to any quests, as it is now, which means a lot of pointless games just to fulfil quests

former system was more generous (less grind) and quest independent (dependency = even more grind)

Last edited:
The major issue here is the change from 6 to 24 CP.

In the old system we needed 6/12/24/24 CP (crown points) to receive 2/2/1/1 RP (reward points) per day out of the crown system. As of yesterday it changed to 24/24/24/24 and so on. Well, the good thing is that the CP's move on like during the journey. So it's generous to casual players who play occasionally and do those quests. The downside is: for players which play more than about 1h a day are geting less RP or have to play more than before.
If you are not doing those quests you are kind of screwed because instead of 6 CP you need 24 CP now for 2 RP which is a big difference.
Let's look at some examples for the current challenge which takes 6 days.

A casual player aiming for 8 RP:

old system:
4 * 6 = 24 CP

New system:
4 * 24 = 96 CP
- 90 CP for 3 Quests
= 6 CP
I assume +2 RP for repeatable challenge

In this case it's better.

A player like me aiming for 18 RP:

old system:
3 * 18 + 3 * 6 = 72 CP

new system:
9 * 24 = 216 CP
- 90 CP for 3 Quests
= 126 CP
I assume +4 RP for repeatable challenge so that makes another -48 CP then the result is:
78 CP

A bit more to do.

A player aiming for 24 RP:

old system:
6 * 18 = 108 CP

new system:
12 * 24 = 288 CP
= 198 CP
Lets' assume +6 RP for repeatable challenge which results in -72 CP then the result is:
126 CP

The difference would be then 18 CP.

Every example assumes that the players are doing those quests during their regular games and doing the repeatable challenges. Not everyone wants to play those quests or does have the resources to do so. If you don't you are ******.

Bad Decision CDPR to nerf the crown system 6/12/24, with this system i was able to make 6-7 RP. as a new user it will be very difficult for me to achieve the seasonal tree, after winning 24 round now will get 2 RP.

I'm glad I started playing a month ago and got to go through the journey. Now at least I can make a deck or two with all the resources I saved up (despite opening 100+ Mirror Kegs and getting 3 legendaries).

If I had started playing Gwent yesterday with the new rewards system, I'm honestly not sure I'd be playing a month later.

Another thing to consider for new players, those "win 3-5 with x faction" quests, are borderline impossible with starting decks. It can get pretty discouraging trying to win 5 times with the NR starter faction in unrakned/seasonal.

It almost drove me away, but I did stick with it.

That's why I worked so hard for prestige 2. The second reset mostly means I can actually complete that challenge. When I couldn't, it took me about 12 hours to win three games with MO and that was because one forfeited, I got lucky in that someone worked out what I was doing and let me win (thank you, whoever) and one person was probably doing something like a 'dump all your gold cards' challenge and once they'd done that, they just bailed. That was where I would fight to win one round just so I could grind my way to the 6 points over 6 games. When someone 'ropes' you, that's over an hour all told with little reward and even less fun.

The major issue here is the change from 6 to 24 CP.

In the old system we needed 6/12/24/24 CP (crown points) to receive 2/2/1/1 RP (reward points) per day out of the crown system. As of yesterday it changed to 24/24/24/24 and so on. Well, the good thing is that the CP's move on like during the journey. So it's generous to casual players who play occasionally and do those quests. The downside is: for players which play more than about 1h a day are geting less RP or have to play more than before.
If you are not doing those quests you are kind of screwed because instead of 6 CP you need 24 CP now for 2 RP which is a big difference.
Let's look at some examples for the current challenge which takes 6 days.

A casual player aiming for 8 RP:

old system:
4 * 6 = 24 CP

New system:
4 * 24 = 96 CP
- 90 CP for 3 Quests
= 6 CP
I assume +2 RP for repeatable challenge

In this case it's better.

A player like me aiming for 18 RP:

old system:
3 * 18 + 3 * 6 = 72 CP

new system:
9 * 24 = 216 CP
- 90 CP for 3 Quests
= 126 CP
I assume +4 RP for repeatable challenge so that makes another -48 CP then the result is:
78 CP

A bit more to do.

A player aiming for 24 RP:

old system:
6 * 18 = 108 CP

new system:
12 * 24 = 288 CP
= 198 CP
Lets' assume +6 RP for repeatable challenge which results in -72 CP then the result is:
126 CP

The difference would be then 18 CP.

Every example assumes that the players are doing those quests during their regular games and doing the repeatable challenges. Not everyone wants to play those quests or does have the resources to do so. If you don't you are ******.
You only get ONE more RP in the repeaable challenge.

Only if thy change it after all our complaining

This is what I feel about Gwent...

I started Gwent when it shows up in Steam. I try to play Gwent because so many players said very positive about this game -- mostly are very generous reward system.

Later on I notice that people in Reddit start complaints about Journey Reward system is a nerfed version of old Daily Crown, I remember the sentence like "why I need to play more and get less reward?". At that time, I have no idea because it's new to me. I quite enjoy and addict to Gwent. I almost immediately purchase Premium Journey once I know how the system works and how many RP I can get from it, which I can earns resources from reward book.

Last month, I finish Journey Level 100 before end of month and when it switch back to old Reward System, I can collect 2-4 RP per day by spending 1.5 - 2.5 hour. (some days might be more depend on the opponent skills, too). I mostly play casual games.

What I feel is, wow why I didn't play Gwent before this. How come I so dumb and stuck with Hearthstone. I praise Gwent to my friends who are playing Hearthstone and one of them also like Gwent. He also want to purchase Journey Premium right away but sadly I tell him too late. Anyway, he might want to purchase the next one.

Tnen, it's very excite that the new set is coming. It's so fun to open kegs, find card, make some deck, play some games but get beaten due to lack of old cards. And I want to unlock this season reward book. I calculate and I certainly sure that I can find enough RP to unlock all three this season reward books.

Unfortunately, the new challenge comes in and when I realize that the 6/12 games win won't give me 4 rp / day anymore. I have to play 24/24 games win which need 2.0 - 4.5 hr / day. I do not have that much time to spend. The extra 20 cp / challenges is partially compensate but still not equal to the old system.

I understand how it feel from the nerfed reward system. Not only that but the new system indirectly force players to spend more time if they want the same rp / day as before. Otherwise, players get less resources and need to spend money eventually and as it mentioned in announcement -- the old daily reward system will not come back, this mean I can't complete this season reward book. If I know this earlier, I will not spend RP to all 3 nodes. I will spend only 2 or even one.

The question is why CDPR make the reward system worse than before?

I doubt that new player can still join the game or they can but they need to pay if they don't want to spend 2.0 - 4.5 hr / day.

Here's a big problem, you made it a Faction Challenge where the quests only count for some daily progress and also the last Quest is to play the Evolving card of the faction 10 or more times

This is exactly the problem that has to disapear for the next stage.
I picked Skellige this week, because i had the card. Stage 2-4 i have to stop after quest 3.
The MM droprates are horrible, without journey i can't grind RP propperly, without grinding i can't buy kegs.
No way that i'm gonna drop 20 bucks just for the Evolving cards.
I'm verry sorry to say so, but the whole Journey replace month feels very half*ssed.

Journey was already bad for new players (so the ones who'd care about rewards the most and ones that, one's think, you want to keep) but this is on a whole new level.

Do you really expect people who just start the game to get enough new cards for those new archetypes including evolving legendaries to be able to not only progress those quests but finish 1st 4 parts in a day not to lose on daily quests?

Because unless we have such unrealistic expectations this math is utter nonsense. For most of the new players this whole thing means cutting their free progression in half, if not much worse. And to do that along with a new release?

Are you trying to flatline your player retention levels on purpose? Because if I wanted to do that, but needed some semi-plausible deniability that's probably the optimal way to go about it.

Seriously guys, pull the heads from wherever they're stuck and placate people wtih some login reward points or a month or something if you don't have the time to program something semi-reasonable, because this is going to be pretty damn bad otherwise.

I mean, how am I suppose to recommend this game to new people with straight face? I used to do it by praising a fair F2P system, but now I'd like like I'm talking them into Amway.

I'm gonna be straight honest with you CDPR. Those recent changes in your economic model are worse than the Midwinter patch ever was. I'm totally pissed with all those changes, the miscommunication and the quality of product you deliver this year.

While the veterans that were playing last year were able to complete almost all of the reward trees with the old systems me (a player from the open beta that not played last year) and new players are in such worse position right now. Every reward tree cost like 40 RP points. Before I could easily get the 4 RP for playing like 9-18 matches. Now I have to play 24-48 matches to get the same amount of RP. We CANNOT complete the reward trees because of that. So please consider changing your mathematician that came up with this "brilliant" system and give us back the old system. If you care for your playerbase at all.

Overall it feels like old CDPR is no more. In its place there's that EA-like corporation that just cares about money now. What's next, pay to win? Shame.

Top Bottom