GEAR and Crafting: Clothing, Armor, and doohickeys...

+
Chemical drugs will be pretty much legalized or easily accessible. No need to craft them. Especially when you can just as easily get high on neuralware designed to make you FeelSomething™ without any of the chemical side effects. So drug crafting is just programming.

My problem with weapon and armor degragation is that it is something that should logically be done "off-screen". For example, in the Witcher 3 we never have to go pee or take a dump, or sleep for that matter. Because these are not adding to gameplay value and logically happens "off screen" so to speak.

I always thought weapon and armor degradation was a waste of development time and only serves as an annoyance to players.
Totally agreed.

I'm not a fan of the idea of healing food or even really chems. Chems should mostly be about halting traumatic wounds to buy time for the Trauma Team or giving a temporary boost to give you a few more minutes or blows awake and alive. In Cyberpunk 2020 there was a drug that helps the character regain 1 additional hit point per day, and commonly causes bouts of irrational fear during recovery. This is 50 years into the future so sure advance this stuff quite a bit like a combat drug that gives you some temporary points with some other negative or rebound issue, but I think immediate and permanent healing without limit or consequence is a bit outside the spirit of the original work.

I've seen drug crafting mentioned in an interview/video as well (and I don't think it was some Russian guy).

I liked the potion crafting system in Witcher 1 (after the patch that fixed the horrible inventory) but I doubt they'd bring it back in CP2077 (assuming the drug crafting is actually a thing). I could be wrong but to me it looks like they looked at how it worked in TW1 and they thought it was too complex and they simplified it going forward.

Last edited:
I'm actually fine with it as long as CDPR doesen't do the same fuckup as in the Witcher 3 which was combining drinks and edibles with crafting stuff.

"I'm on low health let me drink and eat a lot of stuff"
"Oh no... turns out I ate/drank a lot of crafting stuff I need for alchemy"

Though I have to say I'm leaning more towards food and drinks adding buffs. If they have to add food and drinks as a healing mechanic I'd rather it have a slow regen with a max cap.

For example: you are on 50% life. You eat and drink some food. You will now slowly regain 10% of your lifepool, but you now have a cooldown on food / drinks restoring health for a while. I think it's just too silly that a character can eat 472 wheels of cheese and "hey look, my gunshot wounds has healed!"

That said. This is a minor issue overall imo. And though certainly a valid topic for discussion I'd say this issue is in "nitpicking" terrirory.

I have no issue with Food restoring health. I think it's widely accepted as healing mechanism in the video game community and I like it because.. well it brings food into the game. Some real world stuff and I love it if it is presented in a right way. I mean, boy there is barely something I like more than the food in VanillaWare games, it's sooo delicious looking. While food doesn't really heal in the real world, at least not in the way healing in games work, it does support immersion for me. I am not too fond however about "buffs" because it's mostly connected to the one thing I really dislike in games and that's timers. Same thing as with destructible weapons or cooldowns, I have no fun in a ticking clock, I don't want to watch a timer until I can or can't use something anymore. I prefer pressing a button and something happens, action and reaction fast and simple.

Level requirement is stupid.

However stat-requirements are not. And even with stat-requirements, weapons/armor should not be prohibited from use, but use the stat difference as a penalty /w a hard cap.

For example: I want to use a super advanced tech gun:

My tech is at 5 and it requires 7.
5-7= -2 = 20% accuracy / damage penalty.

My tech is at 1 and it requires 7.
1-7= -6 = 35% accuracy / damage penalty (hard cap being 35%)

lvl req is arbitrary. Stats needs to be meaningful.

restoring health? no stimpacs should do that. but food should give you differen boosts. like eating ramen gives you 5% extra XP bonus.

We aren't. What we are saying is that CDPR can just tag gear as requiring a certain Street Cred level and/or not make it a drop rate item.

Easy. Lots of games do things like that. Deus Ex, for example. I'm not looting police armours.

You can also limit it by certain skill levels. If your Streetwise or Special Ability is high enough, then yeah, you can purchase it.

But cyberware isn't a loot-and-swap-in item, in either the PnP or what we know of the Demo. Ripperdoc needed.

Level requirements are actually a very clumsy mechanism as you have to have a separate tag for each item. As opposed to a dollar figure, which is already there.

And the Rep system is in place already so if your Rep isn't high enough, you just can't buy anything illegal worth more than 1000 ED....there you go.

To make this less intrusive they could limit stock and loot availability to the level of street cred necessary to access that area. This ensures the player doesn't ever find something in their inventory that they can't use. Additionally, it works in world as you needed to be more respected to get to zone 4 because they don't cotton to scrubs, and that includes their suppliers.

*EDIT* To be clear, I am all for stat/skill/implant requirements for gear, it is not an issue for a player to find that in their inventory and not be able to use it. I just don't see Level or declared Rep as limits to use, difference being before x rep you can't obtain it vs before x rep you can't use it.

Level requirement is stupid.

However stat-requirements are not. And even with stat-requirements, weapons/armor should not be prohibited from use, but use the stat difference as a penalty /w a hard cap.

For example: I want to use a super advanced tech gun:

My tech is at 5 and it requires 7.
5-7= -2 = 20% accuracy / damage penalty.

My tech is at 1 and it requires 7.
1-7= -6 = 35% accuracy / damage penalty (hard cap being 35%)

lvl req is arbitrary. Stats needs to be meaningful.
Levels aren't meaningless per se, it all comes down to the implementation. It's often a base modifier for the other stats. at level 1 you might have 200hp and at level 10, 500, and that's without putting any points into constitution.

Right. It's a simple means of preventing the player from just breezing through the game. I've never had any qualms with level restrictions on loot, armor, etc.

I agree completely. Degradation systems in games are never fun, never enjoyable, but always annoying, and sometimes awful. Here's looking at you, Breath of the Wild. It's one of the very few features in Wild Hunt I dislike, and I strongly recommended modding it out of the game even on your first playthrough.

I want a lot of good long jackets/trench coats and things that just look cool/stylish.

Alright. Let's start again. Someone said "why do we need survival elements in a story-driven game, it's just hindrance". I said why do we need bars in a story-driven game when they have no effect on the story? In a sense, let's just focus on questing, not free roaming. Survival mechanics can add sense to all those optional locations, and still affect how we go through a story. So I'm not even arguing what doolydeath said.

Except they've said they want to encourage on foot exploration of the city which would be hampered by survival mechanics.

to fully experience CP2077 we need to Anthony Bourdain it to the max. Give me all the foods from shitty vendors to 6star restaurants. give me everything NC has to offer.

Top Bottom