GEAR and Crafting: Clothing, Armor, and doohickeys...

+
I'm a little disappointed that they are even going with levelled weapons. It doesn't make sense to me. The PnP didn't have them, and I wish they'd found a way to make that system work here.

I swear I griped about this years ago in a long old thread as this has been an issue I've thought about for awhile.

Last edited:
What's genuinely weird to me is that it's becoming more and more common despise being inherently a poor fit for any non linear and/or open world game and despise the better examples already existing for YEARS.

You don't really need a constant escalation of numbers across a single player campaign, you don't need to see "level counters" that keep ramping up, and if anything they can even become comically immersion breaking, when you are facing the "White Hunt Emissary" or the "Giant Golem of Destruction" at level 6 and 20 hours later those level 43 street thugs.

While a sense of progression is welcomed, it's perfectly fine to have just a marginal growth from the beginning to the end, to have equipment upgrades as sparse (BUT REWARDING) episodes and to leave the gap between early game and end game relatively contained.

I don't think you'll ever hear a single mentally healthy person claiming "Man, without these random swords looted every five minutes TW3 would feel a game so stingy of exciting rewards!"
They did't even realize that by making loot so comically common they also robbed themselves of the ability to make treasure chests something worth tracking, etc, etc.

The same was true even beyond equipment in TW3. Imagine if rare materials for crafting and rare plants for potions were things you had to track down in dangerous corners of the world rather than something you could just constantly get randomly at every single step, in industrial quantities.

Good god. I don't think I've ever seen so many regulars (and a few newbies!) with so many diverse, strongly-diverging opinions agree on a single issue like this.

It's also amazing to me that BETHESDA, of all companies, actually has this right. Barring enchantments, a steel sword is a steel sword. an iron sword is an iron sword. So on and so forth. There's exciting variety and a sense of progression, but it doesn't feel silly. The tougher materials you use, the better the weapon - that's a no-brainer. (Plus, it's a fantasy world, so there's already some leeway).

Well, Bethesda games had their own set of issues when it comes to itemization.
What you say about "an iron sword being just an iron sword" is not exactly true because you could break the system easily through crafting. Plus other problems I won't dig into now.

I think I'd rather take Gothic 1-2, Baldur's Gate 2 or Dark Souls as better examples of games where from the early game to the final steps the increase in power of your equipment was noticeable and significant, but still reasonably contained.

It's one thing to end the game with a weapon dealing 4-to-6 times the damage of your beginner trash. It's another thing going the MMO route and end your game with a sword-gun that outdoes your newbie weapon by a factor of 20-30X.

That's been my thing about itemization issues, the real damage difference should have been what type of ammo and what type of gun you have....I'm gonna have to dig up that old thread...lord help me.

The same was true even beyond equipment in TW3. Imagine if rare materials for crafting and rare plants for potions were things you had to track down in dangerous corners of the world rather than something you could just constantly get randomly at every single step, in industrial quantities.

The sad thing is, there's games like this on the market. Usually, one of the first mods for them eliminates that rarity, and one of the first requests for a sequel feature is elimination of that rarity.

After all, why do you think alchemist shops in Skyrim stock hard-to-find items like daedra hearts on a regular basis?

The sad thing is, there's games like this on the market. Usually, one of the first mods for them eliminates that rarity, and one of the first requests for a sequel feature is elimination of that rarity.
Can't say I've noticed this phenomenon about modders "modding away rarity of items" from games.
The closest i can think of was the unbelievable amount of bitching I've heard about XCOM 2 having limited turns to finish maps in several missions.
Always found that stupid as well, incidentally.

Can't say I've noticed this phenomenon about modders "modding away rarity of items" from games.
The closest i can think of was the unbelievable amount of bitching I've heard about XCOM 2 having limited turns to finish maps in several missions.
Always found that stupid as well, incidentally.

Yeah, the turn limit complaint confuses me.

I know one of the most popular X-COM mods involves enabling a cheat menu, with the feature most people I've seen use it for is spawning of rare items. Stardew Valley has the CJB Item Spawner (why does a farming game need an item spawner?). A number of mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 involve player homes that have cheat chests for spawning items. X-COM 2 had console commands easily enabled for item spawning after the X-COM mod became popular...

I'm leaving out the Bethesda item spawner commands because, thanks to how glitchy their games are (Fallout 4's Out of Time quest randomly requires a console command just to progress), console commands are a way of life for those games. I pity the people who don't play them on computers.

Rare and valuable items shouldn't be something you get every other "level", they should be a collection of items you pick up bit by bit throughout the game.

Maybe 1/4 of the way thru the game you come across a really great bit of armor but it's not till 7/8th of the way till you've collected the entire set and unlock some sort of "set bonus". Items AREN'T special if they're quickly obsolete. Believe it or not most gamers would prefer to find an item that matters rather then a truck load of junk.

Well 'loot' ideally should all be different either by function or aesthetic, no redundant guns that are the same thing but with higher damage, I'm okay with having lower quality versions of weapons that take longer to reload or have unreliable spray patterns/bullet drop at least that makes more sense than literally killing people slower through damage number bs.

Having the difference in aesthetic has a lot of potential now that I think about it. finding a version of the gun you already have in a gang hideout complete with gang colouring and tags I think could allow for people to make that extra connection with their weapons in the same way that CS GO players get attached to guns with skins, except with the added contextual element. (for the record I hate cs go's handling of skins)
[[repost from another thread that I thought would prolly be relevant here too]]

I fully agree. Loot should be an exciting part of the gameplay loop and that can only happen if you feel a sense of progression. Which is unattainable if you have a system where at every level you find a weapon that adds an extra +2% to damage. Don't fall into the same trap as Assassin's Creed: Origins as Borderlands but please take your inspiration from e.g. the Gothic or ELEX series. Don't ignore the importance of good progression mechanics.

I really hope they don't do anything stupid and ruin the whole weapon system.

I mean if I buy, steal or find an armalite 44 pistol, well It's an armalite 44 pistol!...That's what it is!...period!

Yes, it would be nice to be able to put a red dot on it, or a larger mag, or change it's finish from blue steel to chrome, or put a silencer, but without all these mods it must be identical to all the other unmodded armalite 44s in the world.

Want variety?...Build A LOT of different weapons in the same category , from various manufacturers with slightly different performance, just like CP2020 did.

Rare and valuable items shouldn't be something you get every other "level", they should be a collection of items you pick up bit by bit throughout the game.

The smart rifle that had the enemyseeking bullets in the E3 demo was said to have an "EPIC WEAPON" tag.

I got a little vomit in my mouth after hearing that (I think it was int he Yong Yea video), and I'm still unsure if I heard correctly. But it would seem to confirm that they are "late game" weapons. And it would seem to confirm or at least imply that there is weapon scaling of some sort.

The smart rifle that had the enemyseeking bullets in the E3 demo was said to have an "EPIC WEAPON" tag.

I got a little vomit in my mouth after hearing that (I think it was int he Yong Yea video), and I'm still unsure if I heard correctly. But it would seem to confirm that they are "late game" weapons. And it would seem to confirm that there is weapon scaling of some sort.
Oh joy ...

Top Bottom