GEAR and Crafting: Clothing, Armor, and doohickeys...

+
Hard pass on the puking mechanics.

It's easy to pass by not eating too much. ;)

Anyway, the puke thing was just a throw, the point was to give the food a limitation mechanic.

----------------------------------------------------

And hey, it's not like games haven't done it before. :D

Last edited:
Hi

in TW3 armor and wepaons lose durability, get damaged, have to be repaired frequently, please don't do that in CP2077
or just add an option to prevent gear to get damaged. It's annoying to go to repair the equipment over and over again.

This is one topic I have mixed feelings about.

On one hand, I don't have a problem with it in Witcher 3 or Oblivion (the games I've played that have it by default).
On the other hand, I wouldn't want it in any games that don't have it by default (i. e. I wouldn't use mods that add it).

Hmm.. I guess I should add a conclusion. :p
I most likely wouldn't have a problem if a degradation system was in the game -- but I also wouldn't miss it if it wasn't included.

Last edited:
I don't think weapons should break (unless they get shot, that's different, and weapons should be able to be shot out of your hands too), but I would actually appreciate if there was some kind of benefit/drawback to weapon accuracy and reliability if you didn't keep yours clean.

Alright, you know your guns. I apologize. I wasn't even arguing the idea of getting rid of level gating. There are other mechanics too. I was just disagreeing with the idea of chasing realism because it's gonna be better because it's realistic and for some reason more immersive. I was immersed as hell in The Witcher 3 with it's level gating and I don't remember many instances when the game denied me to use an item, despite completing it 4 times with Steam clock reaching 600 hours.
It's just used as guidance.

As Su herself said, there's realistic, and there's realism. KCD is a game that tries its best to be "realistic" in virtually every way. It's not perfect, there are concessions made for "fun," but it's close.
2077, on the other hand, can have realistic elements without being a realistic game. For example, stealth (this is my personal opinion, Su disagrees). I love stealth, especially in sci-fi worlds because hacking and augmentations pave the way for so much more experimentation. Crawling through vents, knocking out cameras, lights, and sensors... That all sounds great, and I want 2077 to cater to it in some capacity.

However... enemies shouldn't be psychics or omniscient (unless they have special eyewear that can detect me easier), I shouldn't be able to disappear indefinitely, etc... So, "realism," but not "realistic."

Yes, part of the reason Su is so gosh danged stubborn is that she's been around the block a few times, both in terms of game design and military stuff. She's more open-minded than other old codgers I've met, though.

I can recall several times where TW3 prevented me from using gear based on my level. Many, many times, in fact. Every single piece of Witcher gear, for example. I could find the recipes, craft the gear, but I somehow... don't know how to use this slightly stronger version of the same equipment?...

I get that you aren't advocating in favor of that, though, so I won't push that subject. It seems we're all largely in agreement here (with a few exceptions), I just think some of us started taking issue with the whole "realism" argument, which I think is a mistake to bring up here to begin with (sorry Su).

Personnaly i would keep the durability for armor depending on damage taken in combat.
For the range weapons i would prefer something like weapon jam depending on your skill or weapon skill/level/upgrade, if there is any kind of durability i suggest you have to fire really a lot of bullet before its happen or because the weapon itself have a sort of power who can deterior the weapon faster like plasma heat or wathever.

Hi

in TW3 armor and wepaons lose durability, get damaged, have to be repaired frequently, please don't do that in CP2077
or just add an option to prevent gear to get damaged. It's annoying to go to repair the equipment over and over again.
TW3 wasn't the most invasive durability system, but yea I'm not a fan of these at all. Hopefully the futuristic setting is reason enough to not include this. V's constant upgrades and modding should be more than enough to satisfy any tinkering the game wants us to do, without the additional "go fix your armor" that always feels like a chore.

Since Netrunner players will have to deal with various limitations in the game's tech, based on their unlocked skills, it's only fair that Solo players have certain restrictions on weapons or armor based on their strength, constitution etc. So unlock-based gear is fine with me.

However, outright level requirements for gear is a different story. That'd be a bad time.

Since Netrunner players will have to deal with various limitations in the game's tech, based on their unlocked skills, it's only fair that Solo players have certain restrictions on weapons or armor based on their strength, constitution etc. So unlock-based gear is fine with me.

However, outright level requirements for gear is a different story. That'd be a bad time.
I'm fine with unlock-based gear. I know not everybody here is, but I'm fine with needing to progress my character a bit to handle better weaponry.

My problem is strictly with level-based loot requirements. Those are infuriating and sometimes require grinding.

Simply needing to unlock a specific skill to, say, use heavy weapons? That's fine, in my opinion.
Because it unlocks ALL heavy weapons, not just heavy weapons of your current level.

I'm not a fan of having armor and weapons degrade either. They just serve as money sinks (unneeded in a single player game) and busy work.

There are no benefits to having that mechanic.

I like weapon durability systems, and was disappointed to see the mechanic removed in Skyrim. I feel more immersed when I need to look after my gear. It makes it feel less like a disposable piece of garbage I'm going to replace in 10 minutes (hence why I didn't care for it in TW3) and more like "my gear."

That ties into the leveled gear thing, too. Oblivion didn't have it (IIRC). A steel sword was a steel sword, barring enchantments. If I wanted to use a steel sword for the rest of the game, I could, and I wouldn't feel completely gimped. I could happily skip "tiers" of gear I wasn't interested in.

As such, having to maintain my equipment made sense there. If CP2077 uses a leveled gear system, I don't want weapon maintenance. If it does not, I'd like it to be in.

I find that gear degradation in RPGs typically break immersion in that the rate of degradation is almost without fail, many times worse than it would be in reality.

Your gun isn't going to degrade and need repairing every time you fire it.

I find that gear degradation in RPGs typically break immersion in that the rate of degradation is almost without fail, many times worse than it would be in reality.

That's your opinion. But yes, some durability systems are way exaggerated.

If we truly will have non-leveled weaponry, where we hold on to specific pieces of equipment for longer and don't just throw it out for a +5 version of the same weapon, durability degradation should be a long-term thing. After a couple hours of gameplay, only then should your gun start to take damage depending on how often you use it. It definitely shouldn't take damage for no reason (if it does, that should be MUCH longer-term).

Shoddier guns should break faster, though. Encourage players to save up for more expensive gear.

Question: If my cool jacket that gets me 5% street cred is covered in blood and bullet holes, will that give me more or less street cred?

If my jacket 'breaks' do I automatically get kicked out of a district?

Personally I'm not a massive fan of gear durability but in a game where you can be shot it doesn't really make sense that my clothes never get rekt.

No idea if it is a bonus to total or earned street cred. or if there is a durability mechanic in the game. or pretty much anything about the systems other than has been explicitly stated.

Of course there should be some sort of degradability system in place. I would expect your 3d printed Quik-Gun™ at the Rapid-Gaz™ to only have a limited durability compared to the hand made Arasaka ExecuPistol™.

Guest 3847602

You don't need to "repair" a gun. It does need to be cleaned and lubricated on pretty regular basis, though... ;)
On topic, I don't think it will bother me either way, I don't miss this system whenever I play TW1 or 2, it doesn't annoy me in TW3.

Guns.... I don't care whether they degrade or not. But armor should degrade. Every blow armor takes should degrade it slowly, as in the pnp source material it absorbs damage.

Top Bottom