[GENERAL] Ingredients and Potions discussion

+
[GENERAL] Ingredients and Potions discussion

For the life of me i cant figure out how to make a potion? I have all the ingredients but how do i combine them to make a potion? Am i missing some skill?

rajin

Forum veteran
rent a room/light the campfire ---> go to meditate and then choose 'alchemy' (it should be 'L' button) Then click on recipe of potion you want to make (on the left side of the screen), all indegridients will be added --> click on 'Mix' and violla...

If all the recipes are greyed out, does that mean you don't have the complete ingreedients for any of them??Thanks,Javaslinger

Recipe is grey because:- You don't have appropriate ingredients.- You don't have appropriate base (alcohol for elixirs, grease for oils or powder for bangers) with required number of slots for ingredients. - You don't have appropriate skill (for oils and bangers only)F.e. Swallow elixir requires 4 ingredients (see the recipe) and strong alcohol with 4 slots for those ingredients. If you don have ingredients or alcohol, the recipe is grey.

Sometimes I get a red ring round a ingredients. and I also noticed that if I use a component that got 2 colors (substances?) ... in this case yellow and red, where red seem to be a vitality component I get, when drinking it, a bonus for vitality.is this what the red circle may meen?that when using this component I won't get a 'clean' potion but something with an extra effect?havn't investigated it much yet.

hey all,does anyone know if there is a way of cancelling the effects of a potion? I know you can meditate and cancel them that way...but thats not always convenient....im getting fed up of using CAT and having a battle then having to wander around in slow motion for the next 25 minutes until it wears off!thanks in advance

kirisute said:
hey all,does anyone know if there is a way of cancelling the effects of a potion? I know you can meditate and cancel them that way...but thats not always convenient....im getting fed up of using CAT and having a battle then having to wander around in slow motion for the next 25 minutes until it wears off!thanks in advance
There is a potion you can learn that will remove toxicity and any other exisiting potion/status effects. Unfortunately, I am writing this from work and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this potion.

Also keep in mind, some potions apparently require White Gull as a base (it allows max ingredient slots) which is made with relatively easy to find ingredients (Vitriol and Quebirth iirc) You will need it for the mutagen potions

"White honey" is the name IIRC. Ant the potion with the bugging effect isn't "Cat" (that's the one w/ night vision) its "Blizzard".

cool thanks..and your right..not cat..blizzard..although cat still lasts a fair while when your running around..though of course that aint so much trouble

The 1st time I used "blizzard" was when I met that plant thingabob in the swamp (the red one that's harder to beat) I must say the effect was pretty cool. I was lucky to use it then, as I quickly got "swamped" by drowners while chopping that silly tree. The effect is quite odd if you fire up a discussion though.

Are there any difference between using HIGH and TOP quality bases to brew potions? Same question stands for oil and bomb bases which also can be of high and top quality.

In one word, yes.In general, the corresponding entry in your journal will tell you which base you should use. It's very simple, however, to deduce that from the number of ingredients.The lowest quality (and cheapest) base allows for 3 ingredients, the high quality one for 4 and the top quality one for 5. For potions you have the option of using white gull instead of top quality, which you can make in turn using basic strong alcohol.

hia,There is probably a easy way around this, but in Vizima I see lot of "unknown herbs". Near the hospital and other places. Do I need a book to learn abou thow to pick this, or is there some inteligence skill needed for this?I can pick some other herbs (those I learned early in the game).

Getting the herbalism skill allows you to identify a few more, but generally yes, you need to read the book that describes them, then you can pick them.

NPC you talk to may provide information without books, which is then converted into an ingredient journal, which therefore identifies the plant. However this may be so sparse, that depending on books is a whole lot better. Generally tho, I don't bother with too many books unless I'm looking for a specific type of substance coupled with an additional substance, then again it might be good to also read every herb book out there, I don't know as I depend on both monster and herb extractions and some may prefer to do herb only as its more readily available.

Argh. I'm having trouble getting things togher to make potions. NPCs will tell me specific ingredients during cut scens, but then afterwards I don't usually remember what they've said.Looking in the journal, I can find the potions listed, but not specifics on what I need to make them.Am I just blind and missing something, or is there a list somewhere?

Top Bottom