[GENERAL] Ingredients and Potions discussion

+
gamewidow said:
so your quickslots work like any other slot, except they are available without resorting to opening your whole inventory. The number of quickslots varies with your armor:regular leather jacket = one quickslotexcellent leather jacket = two quickslotsraven's armor = three quickslotsenjoy! :D
First, thanks to a mod for merging, I guess I am a lazy sod. Second, thanks Game Widow, thats the answer I was looking for. I got all confused seeing Geralt's regular jacket with its three potion slots on the shoulder and all.Is Blizzard supposed to slow down everything? For long periods of time?

blizzard only lasts for 20 min (Geralt time) and things look slowed down because Geralt is sped up ... that's the speed of stuff in relation to him which means that you are darting around there faster than anything else can really move ;)

You can consider the effect of Blizzard as "slow motion" from the movies ;D You have more time to act carefully and well thought-out. If you can't get accustomed, never mind. The Blizzard effect is strange to use for me as well and I don't use it very often ;)

I have beaten Azar Javed with the aid of Blizzard. I could even prevent him from killing the other guy whose name I always forget.Granjow

You mean Berengar ;)
AlteredSoul said:
I would be ok with Blizzard if Geralt wasn't slowed down as well. That's what makes me avoid it I think.
This is misleading because it actually improves Geralt's reactions, but it's all slow motion.

Hi,Back playing after more than a year and now have the Enhanced Edition.I have talked to Abigail about the white myrtle she needs for Alvin's potion and read the book she gave me. I have the description in my journal of white myrtle petals, however, I can't select the bushes to pick the flowers...Is this a bug in the Enhanced Edition?

I have a question. What happens when you try your hand at alchemy without knowing the required formulas beforehand? Are the ingredients wasted or do the random mixes produce something useful?

Random mixes very very rarely produce anything useful. There are a limited number of useful potions compared to the total possible with one "secret" recipe available on the wiki and walkthroughs out there. The ingredients will generally be wasted unless you use the correct combinations. If the recipe is followed incorrectly you will end up with a "unknown potion" and when drunk a "failed potion".The recipes are static in the game, so if you already know the combinations from a previous play-through, you will re-discover them by experimentation later in a later play-through. For example, White Gull is ALWAYS Vitriol + Vitriol + Rebis.However, something I found out about mass-producing potions without the recipe learned (or "blind") is that if you save the game and reload with an inventory of unknown potions, any secondary element effects will be lost when the potion is finally drunk and "learned". Be warned.

If you use the correct ingredients without knowing it, you will create the actual usable potion. Drinking it afterwards results in a full entry for that potion in your journal. Wrong ingredients produced failed potions which are toxic.

Chuckles said:
Random mixes very very rarely produce anything useful. There are a limited number of useful potions compared to the total possible with one "secret" recipe available on the wiki and walkthroughs out there. The ingredients will generally be wasted unless you use the correct combinations. If the recipe is followed incorrectly you will end up with a "unknown potion" and when drunk a "failed potion".
Too bad. I was under the impression that the alchemy system offered unlimited opportunities for creativity, rather than being forced to follow a handful of preset recipes. So anything that doesn't follow a recipe is useless?

there are one or two strange items which can technically be used, but what they are for is not known and no one has reported making anything undocumented.
very old wine does go into an ingredient slot in the potion brewing screen ... no idea what it might be used for ...

As far as I know, only three rebis ingredients have rubedo:beast livergreen moldlunar shards.I've found green mold only in the sewers. Beast liver from wolves in the swamp. Lunar shards are even rarer.Are there any other sources? Where's a good place to go to harvest any of these ingredients? I need them to make swallow with rubedo.

Yes, it's true, there are only these 3 combinations. Green Mold you find only in the sewer. But there are wolves in Act IV (Lakeside and Fields) so you can get more Rebis & Rubedo ;)

I guess I should venture to the swamp more often then, and look for wolves near the druid grove. I'm nearing the end of Act III at the moment, so I should stock up, heh? :)

Blizzard is something i always keep a few in my inventory because between Swallow and Blizzard, you can defeat the toughtest monsters and the hardest groups of Salamanders. When you have things keep spawning and a group of 5 or 6 bandits circling you stabbing away and some monsters spawning as well thats when you down some Blizzard, decide whether you need vitality or to stem bleeding w/Kiss because if you drink down all 3, you hear your heartbeat warning you youre on the edge of dying. I beat the Cockatrice in sewer w/Blizzard and Swallow and in tougher situations Ive beaten spawning Salamandra and vampire/spider looking monsters called Kikkimores w/this potion combo. I also have the unknown potions but am afraid to mix when i really need to know what im taking for a big fight. Perhaps ill experiment w/mixtures when there is no real challenge. When i first began game-im now playing the EE too, I thought after you first started tolearn potions and how to meditate, you would be expected to mix yourself w/collected ingredients...this doesnt appear to be the case. I dont mind since there is already so much mind bending thinking going on in ea of the Acts why add this too?

then there's the cheaper and also pretty fool proof method called "RUNNING AWAY" .. you can always go back once your are back up to full health :D

Top Bottom