[GENERAL] Ingredients and Potions discussion

+
Whatever. Okay, I grant that AARD isn't alchemical in nature. Frankly, I meant to say something else but the dunged phone rang shattering my thoughts, but all I said to Trughbull was that his reply was a bit condescending, which IMHO, it was - a bit. No biggie. BTW, I also PM'd him about it. and thanked him profusely. Now, I don't mean to cause offense to those nice enough to help me out. I must however object to your chiming in with a rather snide little : "You've needed a LOT more help with potions than most players need" -what ? Do you actually mean MOST players who have been playing WITCHER far longer than I can manage to. I have a job, four teenagers and a sick mother. I can't devote nearly as much time to the game as I need to. Give me a freakin' break here! I only asked ONE fracking QUESTION!! Do not presume to know my mind. I barely know it myself.And anyway, I got it right and potion making is dead easy, being as it basically does the work for you once you've gathered the ingredients. Sheesh! One little problem and suddenly I'm a dumb azz!

I dont think anyone has called you a dumb ass, but when you get what you ask for ... aka help from someone who explained it better than most of us could have on our best day, and then you critisize their help ... it does lead one to make assumptions about you.We really didnt ask you to delve into and explain your personal life, but I would suggest maybe a little more patience, as it will help not only in the game, but in your personal life as well.

mikaldhuber said:
Sheesh! One little problem and suddenly I'm a dumb azz!
Please do not feel that way, Sir. I want to apologize if my post seemed condescending. What most of us in North America do not seem to grasp when we start The Witcher is how much of a minority we are on Witcher related forums and bulletin boards. Of the 600,000 Witcher games sold, only 200,000 or so were bought in English speaking countries. Most English speaking Witchers use GameSPOT, GameFAQS, or Gamepressure for Witcher information. If you check the message statistics, especially the Polish ones, you will find non-English people are out-posting us here about a gazillion to 1. lol. I did not mean to appear to treat you as a child. I was merely trying to be certain my English was understandable to someone who may not be using it on a daily basis. Again, I apologize.Sounds like you have a busy home. I hope The Witcher offers some respite.Luck.

I wish we spoke the same language, Ira. It would sure help! All I can say in Polish is "putzawi moyum dupa", which my neighbor Gerald Sawicki taught me when I was about twelve! (And, yes, I DO know what it means - just not how to spell it right!) Believe me, I meant no offense, as I said in my PM. You helped me tremendously to realize how extremely simple potion creation is.Everyone else, I thank you as well, and didn't mean to anger anyone whatsoever. I'm really a very nice guy.

I have a little problem with the automatic ingredient selection .. it really isn't very smart.Sooner or later you'll want to make potions with secondary effects ...Witcher enhanced will likely make that easy, but for now, the fastest way is to put in storage all ingredients except those with the same secondary effect.That way, the automatic potion making will make you the potions you want .. I sorta make potions in batches of 30+ so I don't have to think about them while running around.

Geez.. I thought I was being excessive creating three CAT potions at one go! Thirty plus??So there will be some sort of sequel, I take it? After I finish, I'll play the new adventures, but the setting is sure rich enough to support a good many other scenarios. Being able to play a dwarf or an elf would be sweet.

Coelocanth said:
I just started making bombs and have found them quite useful. The Fear effect is similar to the NWN fear in that it will make some opponents run away from you. The blinding effect of Zerrikanian Sun seemed to really work well. I used both of these to great effect vs the Salamandra base camp in the swamp in Act 3 (the camp that was the non-human camp in act 2). Before getting those bombs made, I got waxed there a few times. The bombs made the difference for me.
I hear you there. Even with Blizzard i was struggling in that camp (I didnt know Full Moon at that time). King and Queen made the difference for me in that camp.
Coelocanth said:
Yes, the inventory's issue will be solved with the release of the enhanced edition,in May (freely downloadable by whoever already owns a copy of the game).I hope that something will be done even earlier, cause I'm sure that in may I'll have finished the game.
I gotta be honest: I didnt have a problem once i got the hang of the inventory (first act, i kept trying to store extra weapons to sell later. ::) Not that kind of game!)Its just how you organize. You get 4 'slots' of pouches: Slot 1: I keep all my ingredients in here. new herbs and drowner brains and stuff you pick up goes straight in, no problem.Slot2: Mixes. high-quality alcohol, alchemical powers, bear fat... plus some overflow from the herbs.Slot3: Completed potions and oils. Bombs normally go into the quickslots.Slot4: all the rest. runes, flint, books, quest-related items (doesnt help keeping celadine in the 'availaible' slot when you're supposed to be collecting it for someone).I'll be interested to see what they do for enhanced edition tho.Do not double post

hiim new to the game and loving itbut i have found a problem that the book doesnt cover and i cant find anywhere on the net as of yeti need to know how to make potions ie: to make my steel sword coated to do more damage, i havew the ingredients but do not know how to mix them, can someone please help mehere is my email rhaevn@hotmail.complease..i need any helpthanks in advancedave aka rhaevn

Hello guys,maybe its a bit nooby question, but i have a problem with making potions. I play the enhanced edition and I just finished the first large area (not the castle), defeating the first monster. I found alot ingredients and also recipes, but I can´t make any potions although it seems I have all ingredients needed for that. The small potion icon besides the recipes is always crossed out and I even can´t drag any ingredients into the cauldron because they are all greyed out while resting. What Do i Wrong ? Please can you give any tips ?

You need a talent in potion preparing? If you klick on the recipe when you are in your alchemy mode, you should get a note _what_ is missing. e.g. when you have all explosives together to create bombs, click on the recipe, all is grayed out and the note tells you: You need a talent for bomb preparing :whistle:

Yes you are right
In the prologue Geralt brews the potion for Triss and hasn't made any level yet.

eh, no, that's not what I have in mind. What I mean is that at 2-3 or so places in the game Geralt can find potions named as "unknown potion". Heck, if I remember correctly, at some point he obtained as a gift from somewhere bombs tagged as "unknown bomb" that turned out to be King and Queen, and I'm fairly certain I didn't use those so I can get a journal entry, yet the name just popped out of somewhere at some point. What could've made Geralt suddenly recognise the previously unknown bomb if he hadn't used it? And can the same thing apply to potions?

Top Bottom