General questions while modding

+
General questions while modding

I dont want open to much treads. So i open this with general questions. Would be nice, if you help me out. Sorry for stupid questions, im not a prof. Im better in storywriting and design. Thanks in advance!1. How can i duplicate areas in one module?2. How can i copy an area from one module in an other?

Do you mean that you want two areas that use the same tileset in one module ? If so, open your module and right click on "Areas" in the module explorer and choose "new area" and assign the desired tileset to that area. Now repeat .. and voila! 2 areas with the same tileset ... then you just need to decide how you plan to travel between them (portals / magic or roads / doors)to copy areas from one module to another, i *think* you can open your module, then choose Module / Import Module and use the wizard to choose the other module with the area and all it's contents (or not) that you want to import. I have not actually done this, so it's an educated guess :)good luck ... and for real help, wait for Ailinon :peace:

@ game widow Do you mean that you want two areas that use the same tileset in one module ?
No - i want not only the same tileset. want duplicate one area of the modul with all the placeables, items, sounds, whatever. in NWN it was possible... is 2 years ago, cant remember, how it was in NWN. i know, that i can save an area. in which directory the area saved... ? And how can i open again ?

i don't think the area is saved in a separate file (but i could be way off here). It's certainly saved as part of the module, and you can open the second module using that Module / Import module menu choice ... that opens a wizard that leads you through selecting what you want to see. What i do not know is if it then lets you save that stuff to your original module.or you can rename one of the .mod files in the Data\Modules\Final! folder to .adv and copy it to the folder with your other modules (under documents and settings, etc). then you can just open it in djinni like any other module to inspect stuff, but i still see no way to get it down any further than that ... like to just the area, we are still at a whole module here.

@game widow using that Module / Import
yippi, it works fine. the only problem was the properties (not copied), but i did it manual.Now all works fine, and suddenly my sound-amb too

well i don't know which module exactly you used, but if it's one of the ones from the game (in that Final! folder) i suspect that one of them has all the basic stuff (maybe the meta module?)all i needed were tga and dds files for my maps and of course to get my brain around using those wp_special_near and wp_special_far way points to get the map working

ya- i take the files from that Final! folder. and it works fine with maps and mapmarkers. And i take all the areas from the maingame, only with completly new decorations, story, etc.But there are strange things, like some sound doesnt play, etc. So i imported the areato my module. now the map doesnt work anymore... :-[I dont want take that "wp_special_near and wp_special_far way". I read it in the help,but looks like a lot of work. :-\Solved the prob by myselfe. Its much easier than expected.I take the waypoints from the original-witcher-mod and set them in my mod :)For example for the village its following coordinates:wp_special_far_0x = 1404.031738y = 1616.278442z = 5.370047wp_special_far_1x = 1502.492554y = 1387.828369z = 4.710367wp_special_near_0x = 1564.745728y = 1328.310669z = 7.009152wp_special_near_1x = 1473.897095y = 1285.082153z = 3.796875so - now i go on - looks good so far ::)

Ralf ..I could kiss you! ... your workaround filled in the last tiny bit of information i needed to FINALLY get my maps working as i wanted (i.e. switching from close-up village view and back as geralt moves from one are to the other)yeah! thanks! ;D

An other question:How works the action-list in spawn-set exactly:for example (there are fiction-values, but hope, you understand the problem) a cow should spawn, do 1 action to first actionpoint, 3 actions second actionpoint. All spawn well, but problems after:action 1 (kuh_pos1): cow_leg = 1%action 2 (kuh_pos2): cow_leg = 40%

you might have to resort to scripts and triggers if you need to micro-manage the cow movements .. we have a herd of cows, but they don't do anything fancy (yet)

one thing i've done slightly differently is that i've set nothing to less than a 5% probability ... 1% seems pretty low to me :)

oh... i tried all 5% 10% 20%... all the same... the cow walk and walk and walk... (i know its boring, but so its is).. and walk... between my 2 actionpoints without difference...Edit 1: I did it with a simple "ActionWait" Script in the On used field. in that time the cow do the action of that actionpoint...Edit 2: Ok - now my cows have something like a life. But i want that they run to one of the actionpoints. So i set under the "Waypoint Walk" the field "Run = TRUE" (For what is Waypoint Prefix?). But the cow goes stupid slow to that actionpoint. What is wrong?

Nope!Question 2I read the tut about animation. There they say:We can make our own animations by filling the following “empty”, but defined, slots. ANIMATION_FIREFORGET_SPECIAL1-5 ???I see the animation in the *.mdb. But how can i use that knowledge? I want lay a specific animation of that cow in my Animation_Funktion...ok... im out for today and need a coffee ;)

There are three special cow animations only:w_cow_head, w_cow_leg and w_cow_standI think they are the only ones for a cow, and the normal walk anims are working with my cow. That's all. I haven't tried yet, to add more anims to the cows .mdb file yet, but I tried to put other animations on a Grigg, and that doesn't work. I think because the anims doesn't match their body.I tried the same anims with a golem and that worked, but not with other "bodys" like animals (four legs) or with the Grigg (much smaller creature).You need special animations then, that are made within 3D Max. :)

I don't have any running cows either, but when i was playing with the model i did see a cow running animation, so it's in there and i imagine it's possible to use, but that could just be optimism on my part ;D

@Hexenmeister Raven There are three special cow animations only:w_cow_head, w_cow_leg and w_cow_stand
ya - i thought so, but how can i use it in the script (ANIMATION_LOOPING_?)?
@game widow I don't have any running cows either
If i set a "ClearAllAction" in the onUsed script of an actionpoint, the cow suddenly was running to that actionpoint, i set the "RUN = TRUE".But now i changed a few littel things and the cow dont run anymore.1. The cow dont run without a script and "RUN = TRUE".2. The cow dont run with that simple script:eek:bject oKuh01 = GetObjectByTag("ani_kuh01");AssignCommand(oKuh01, ActionWait(10.0));DelayCommand (11.0, AssignCommand(oKuh01, ClearAllActions()));3. I dont know, why the cow was running with the change of my script (what did i change, sometimes with a restart of computer it works... very strange)

Hm, only a guess:In the appearance.2da in the 10th line you can change the walkspeed and rundistance and other things of the cow, maybe it's worth a try.

Top Bottom