[GENERAL] Swallow?

+
You can't buy them anywhere; you can only make them. Learn the fundaments of alchemy in the Prologue, and everything will be easy. :) In case you don't know the formula, it's Vitriol, Aether, Rebis, Rebis.

Don't drink too many Swallow potions at once to keep your toxication level low :eek:You are new to the game and your Geralt is always broke? Take a look at http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Guide_for_illiterate_witchers, Swallow is included ;)

Geralt is a pretty self-sufficient guy. In this game, unlike in many games, he doesn't go someplace to get healed or buy his potions from someone else -- he takes care of all of this himself.Meditating at any fire will heal you up to full strength, so you really only need Swallow during combat.

Also, if you're completely desperate and don't have a Swallow or something with you, food can help slightly - not great, but better than nothing :) I think there's another potion that restores vitality (the name escapes me at the moment) that you learn later in the game, but from memory it wasn't worth the effort.

SilverGryphon said:
Also, if you're completely desperate and don't have a Swallow or something with you, food can help slightly - not great, but better than nothing :) I think there's another potion that restores vitality (the name escapes me at the moment) that you learn later in the game, but from memory it wasn't worth the effort.
White Raffard's Decoction. It gives you a lot of hit points at once, rather than speeding up the gaining of them over time. It's what Vesemir wanted to give Leo during the Prologue.

I find white raffard's far too toxic ... so i almost never use it ... but i never go anywhere without swallow

I used to use raffard quite a bit. Start off with a albedo tawny, nigredo swallow, and rubedo willow and then when things get a bit tight, use a rubedo raffards, so the toxicity is reduced by tawny owl.

I think food is actually superior to White Raffard's Decoction. It features a pretty fast Vitality regeneration over 10 in-game minutes or so without any toxicity. I always take a bite of the ol' mutton chop just before a difficult fight.

gamewidow said:
I find white raffard's far too toxic ... so i almost never use it ... but i never go anywhere without swallow
So do I ;) As Geralt also uses other potions, offensive potions regarding combat, the toxity is imho tooo high. When I used it the first time vs. Giant centipedes I forced poor Geralt with my greeness to drink 2 of White Raffard's Decoction until it began to dawn on me that I slightly had a missunderstanding of this potion :whistle:

The only way I'd use white raffard's is if it had an Albedo secondary. And considering the pain of getting Rebis and Hydragenum Albedo components, I give it a miss.

Rebis and Albedo you only find in Wing Membranes, Wing Membranes, Wing Membranes... Once I was in desperate need of both substances, just left Act IV where I could harvest tons of Wing Membranes from Wyvern. But as i already was bored with Wyverns I didn't kill them or loot them :wall: Since that... "Rebis & Albedo from Wing Membrane" is engraved in my mind :whistle:

yes ... on my first run through i spent a lot of time trying to find an alternative source of rebis and albedo ... but to no avail, i too know that one ingredient very well :)

Meh, you come across enough Fleders and Wyverns to get them :) I never actually had a shortage of those

... but not enough when you need their guts. Rebis is an ingredients which is uses in many potions and if you want to brew it on Albedo base... then you have a problem

STGhost said:
Meh, you come across enough Fleders and Wyverns to get them :) I never actually had a shortage of those
Really? Wow. That's certainly not my experience. How many potions do you use in a typical Act -- maybe you're not consuming as many potions as the rest of us?

That's true. Most of the time I try to use Cadaverine when I am not aiming for a particular combination or use Celandine or Green Mold to make nigredo/rubedo type potions. Personally, I carry at best 1 or 2 albedo type potions as any potion imbibed after an albedo potion gets the reduced toxicity effect, and you want to have that on a low toxicity potion to start with to keep overall toxicity low.Speaking of which, Rebis-Rubedo is pretty rare too. Previously, I'd aim for rubedo swallows but have sinced changed to nigredo swallow because of the rarity. Afaik you only get it from Green Mold and otherwise bought from alchemists/witches as Lunar Shards.

i consume about 10-20 potions per game .. total Wink ... how many do you ingest ?
I use 2 - 3 potions for every boss fight, at least one Cat for every cave, crypt, or sewer expedition, and a swallow whenever I'm fighting endless hordes. So, that's around 15 for boss fights, another ten or so for dark places, and maybe another seven swallows -- uh, mid-30's, I guess.

STGhost said:
Speaking of which, Rebis-Rubedo is pretty rare too. Previously, I'd aim for rubedo swallows but have sinced changed to nigredo swallow because of the rarity. Afaik you only get it from Green Mold and otherwise bought from alchemists/witches as Lunar Shards.
IIRC, you can also get it from Beast Liver (wolves). There are quite a few wolves in the Swamps of Act II/III and two respawnable packs in Act IV. I think that mutants also drop them in Act V. So they're actually not so rare. :)

Top Bottom