[GENERAL] Things you wish you knew before you started

+
Acctually the albedo/rubedo/nigerdo thing is clearly explained in the game manual. I wished that I had understood that there is almost no point in using fast style for more than the third attack when the enemy is either in pain or just tired so that you can hit even the fastest opponent with strong style and if you are good enough the enemy can't interrupt your attack.I also wished that this is the most addictive game, and that I would be playing it at least 5 time through.

The mysterious revival of Geralt:
If I remember correctly, The King of the Wild Hunt brought Geralt back to fulfill the destiny of Jack (Can't remember how to spell his name. ;D)
My wish is figuring out the skills and abilities and use it properly. All the explanations here really cleared up a lot of confusion with some skills. (Altered Metabolism, secondary abilities of swords, combo stage enhancements, etc.) I'm still looking for explanations for Armor +5, and Wound resistance.

It is hardly something that can be described as "wish to know from the beginning" as it is only part of Act II, but it would have saved time in advancing the chapter.I misunderstood the "What lies beneath"-quest. I got it, had Thaler and Leuvarden as suspects, and was seeing them in the Temple Quarter. So I thought I had to follow them around, sneaking behind them to witness something important. As thier walking behaviour in town is a bit - let's call it "erratic" - it seemed at some points like they noticed me following them and change thier plans as to get rid of me. I was thinking "Oh crap! He's noticed me!" and nervously trying to find the next corner to go into another direction or enter houses or trying to start conversations with people as if it was mere chnace that I was near the suspect. Sometimes I've lost them and had to start a new "observation run". That was until I first saw one them disapearing into house (they are at the door, they enter, but when you enter 8if possible) they are not there). Then I figured out, the "Suspect" quest are simply solved by talking to them...But, thinking now of it, it was funny, and it might have been a nice idea, if the quest were soveable this way...

I was just hoping for some info that you wish you had known before you started playing that I can look out for - non spoiler please ;DIll start - I wish I had known flint was needed for the fireplaces....I just kept selling it all and then couldnt figure out why the game wasnt letting me meditate...Now I just hope flint is as plentiful in the rest of the game as it was in chp 1 hee hee

Im starting to think ignii is a bit overpoweredI am murdering mobs with it fast, and I am playing on the hardest difficulty

plenty of players think so (that igni is overpowered) -- personally, i love it -- you don't *have* to use it (except in a couple of very specific cases) :peace:

Yeah, igni is overpowered for general PvE.For boss fights, I reckon Yrden (with poison chance) is better. Especially if you also use Quen.

Igni can easily seen as overpowered, but when you are more or less cornered, it is a real life saver. With Aard, you can knock your enmies down and clear the path a litte, but it does you no good if you're really cornered, as they will soon stand up again to fight you. Igni, in the same situation also drives your oponents away from you, but additionally, it hurts them to to, if you have spent some talents on it, it will also do some continuing damage, which makes it easier fight your way out with the sword. I had an situation where is was sorounded by at least 12 superior monsters, without Igni (and some Quen), I wouldn't been able to get out alive. Since then, it became my preferd sign.

Igni is definitely overpowered, with a tawny owl potion u can just use it continuously and defeat almost everything :) but i only use it as a last resort.....hehehe

Eglard said:
Actually the albedo/rubedo/nigerdo thing is clearly explained in the game manual.
But, but... I am a man! I can not seriously be expected to read a manual before going in head-first! :whistle:That, and I did not notice there was a manual until I'd seen it mentioned here a few times and even then it took me a long time to realise it wasn't a paper one, but a pdf file. So yeah, I would have liked to have known about the ingredients a bit sooner, but knowing about the manual would have been nice for me :teeth:

HoKyung said:
HoKyung said:
Actually the albedo/rubedo/nigerdo thing is clearly explained in the game manual.
But, but... I am a man! I can not seriously be expected to read a manual before going in head-first! :whistle:
Yea, I don't read manuals too :DI can install any game, everything is always instinctual, so the installation part I don't even look on. Then the controls etc. If the game is not a flight simulator, where there is no unused key on keyboard and "shift", "alt" or "ctrl" has a multiple use, I just see everything in game - usually they try to explain me in tutorial, but this is usually played with no reading the tips :D C'mon it is the part of fun - I play and explore :) But the problem is when we after finishing the game and looking to the manual or listening to somebody spot we didn't use some functions.So here a think I didn't know: blacksmith will buy armor ;)

I wish I knew that you can prepare White Gull with...White Gull! (plus ingredients). Once I depleted all my alchohols, I was still able to make more White Gull potions, since I had a stack of ingredients left :p Who needs alchohol? Those guys on the Forum have no idea what they are talking about! :teeth:I was happy: woah! I can make tons of White Gull without alchohol! Only ingredients, which are free!Cool!!! :angel: Not-so-cool when I discovered that I depleted ALL my ingredients and and created...nothing at all ;DWell, I DID create ONE potion ow White Gull, didn't I?? :teeth:

So, you made white gull and continued to make it using your newly made white gulls :D Maybe you should try a career in politics - thats the way the "game" works!Yes, it is easy to fall for that, but there is an easy way to prevent this (at least up to Act IV) - I usually sit down an make note what potions oils an bombs I want to make and how much of them, then go into the journal and look up what I will need for them. Next, I choose the ingredients, write them down for each potion etc. pack only these in my invetory (all the rest is stored at the Inn) and got to meditate/brewing. The only downer on this is false clicking when the meditation wears of. I had this a few days ago - making about 20 potions, placing tawny owl an swallow into the potion slots of the armor, find out, I have forgotten to assign the new talents, so back to meditation. Once geralt got up again, i wanted to move him, but he wasn#t responding. Sadly, my mouse went of the mouse pad, the pointer speeding across the screen right onto the quickslot while my finger contiued to press the left mouse butto. The result: Two newly made tawny owls already used and a quite toxicated witcher...

Here's another one: my first experience with White Honey. So, white Honey gets rid of any poisoning/intoxication on Geralt? Blazing cool! So I went to the swamps, drank swallow, something else etc, my intoxication went up, but hey - I have the White honey now! Gloo-gloo..Begone, intoxication! Hey...what happened to my Cat ability? Where's my swallow effect gone? :teeth:

Laivasse said:
I'd wish I'd known exactly how strict the game is in punishing bad dialogue choices (answer: not very strict at all).
Not really true. Lots of people you can't talk to anymore. For example chapter II if you fail to make a deal with the brickmaker village lady and the lumberjack, that's it, no "hangover cure" for you..

Top Bottom