[GENERAL] “Unexpected” dialogue moments that you LOVED

+
[GENERAL] “Unexpected” dialogue moments that you LOVED

Hi Guys :)I've done a search and couldn't find a specific topic like this. If there is one, I apologize for posting a similar topic :(Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge RPG fan, but the type of RGP's I tend to like the most are in the vane of Mass Effect. After finishing ME I was craving another good RPG. So I tried out Oblivion (at the time I wasn't a big D&D RPG'er) but Oblivion drew me in. I've logged almost 400hrs in the game and haven't quite finished all the expansions. The problem for me was the story in Oblivion wasn't the best (certainly not like ME.)So, I heard some GREAT things about The Witcher (finally got a computer able to play it.) I bought the EE “Uncensored” version. Right now I'm in my first play through. I'm almost finished with Chapter II. And I am TOTALLY blown away by the story already. Even at this early stage, I would list TW right up there with ME as the best RPG I've played. What did it for me was this “unexpected” dialogue I had in Vaska's hut. I had sided with the Elves against The Order. I was delivering a message to Vaska that her fears that the Dryad (Moren) took the child (Lost Little Lamb) were unfounded. It was late at night, so after playing a round of poker with Vaska, I decided to “meditate” till morning. When I woke up, Vaska and the “brick makers” where in the middle of a (as best as I can describe it) prayer meeting. So, I took the opportunity to start talking to them. One brick maker mentioned that they knew I sided with the Elves, but would NEVER tell anyone. Then another one mentioned that some Salamandra came looking for me, but he didn't tell them where I was. At that remark, I told him he wouldn't have to worry about the Salamandra for much longer. ]:->I guess what blows me away the most about this whole dialogue is the fact the devs put it in there on the off chance a player would do the “secondary” quests the way I did them and meditate at Vaska's house till morning to witness the prayer meeting. For me, it increased my “immersion” in the story ten fold :D ;D :)So has anyone had a similar experience?“Q”

Yeah they have so much dialogue in there for every contingency and possible path you might take, it would take 10 play throughs to hear everything. Which is a shame, in a way, because the quality of the dialogue is so high!Sometimes though i would quick save before i had a conversation, and re-did it, choosing different answers each time, just to hear what was said :)

more than ten, i assure you :evil: ... i've played it 30 times and i still occasionally stumble on stuff i'd never seen / heard :)

I opened the conversation files in Djinni after I played the game for the fifth time, to see if there were any interesting conversational paths I'd missed. And there were lots! There were some things in there that really surprised me, things I had no idea were even possible.I also like it that the conversations you overhear in the street are so rich. The first time I heard the conversation in the Temple Quarter where one woman was counseling another woman about her abusive husband, I was blown away. And the whole racism angle is played up very well, with the player able to overhear a lot of anti-elf sentiments just by walking down the street. It's not unremittingly grim, though; it's got some realistic variety -- I love the woman who says, "My friend Helda is a dwarf, and she's not like they say!" (I keep wanting to grab people and make them go listen to her.)And the kids! Have you listened to what the children in the Outskirts say while they're playing?

Corylea said:
And the kids! Have you listened to what the children in the Outskirts say while they're playing?
"i'm a drownerette. whoo hoo hoo" :pbut next to that alot of references to the beast. And some will call geralt weird. Oh and a boy will say that he doesn't may talk with strangers from his mother.In Vizima, in the temple quarter, once a poor girl asked geralt where his lady was.There is also one who's teeth is hurt in act II (funny thing is that in act III there is a dentist then)and a boy called geralt huge and ugly. Sometimes kids also say "your hair is like milk. how come?"In both the outskirts and vizima temple quarter a girl will say "daddy will buy me a new doll"

Yes, the devs put much details in the game in every case :)I also like the dialogues of the NPCs in the Trade quarter. Some fit like a glove to the person who says it. e.g. this woman who says something like "Are these swords real or just for show?" and her accentuation is perfect.There are also interesting messages on various posters and signposts. There is one advert to join the Temerian (?) army and someone scribble a nasty remark on it. I guess I saw that in the Temple quarter near the Order's cloister but I'm not sure.

candesco said:
candesco said:
And the kids! Have you listened to what the children in the Outskirts say while they're playing?
alot of references to the beast.
Kids often enact the things that trouble them in their play, and I thought it was fabulous that the developers of this game had the children playing The Beast. The whole Outskirts is terrified by The Beast, and the children are affected, too, but doing it in the way that real children actually do. Magnificent!

gamewidow said:
more than ten, i assure you :evil: ... i've played it 30 times and i still occasionally stumble on stuff i'd never seen / heard :)
It could actually be done in 3 play throughs, as long as you made a quick save as i said before each conversation so you could quick load each time and choose a different option. This only matters though on conversations where options are taken away after you've chosen one, on most of the conversations you can go back into them and choose a different answer, even if you've chosen another one already. Three playthroughs though because of the three paths you can take :)

My very favorite was when Gerault had to find "a virgin's tears" for the potion to cure Vincent's werewolf affliction. Gerault had to ask any townswoman he met if they were a virgin. Geraul actually was embarrassed ;D The best part was when he found the "virgin" and she was an older person and he kind of stammered and really didn' believe her. It was obvious he was unconfortable. It was very, very, funny but he got what he needed for the potion.

mondotomhead said:
My very favorite was when Gerault had to find "a virgin's tears" for the potion to cure Vincent's werewolf affliction. Gerault had to ask any townswoman he met if they were a virgin. Geraul actually was embarrassed ;D The best part was when he found the "virgin" and she was an older person and he kind of stammered and really didn' believe her. It was obvious he was unconfortable. It was very, very, funny but he got what he needed for the potion.
Haha yeah, it's funniest when you ask Carmen...I ended up getting tears from a nurse in the hospital :D

Since the EE alot of things has changed and so also some dialogues.I was yesterday doing the quest A Posh Reception. So first going upstairs and then first talk to triss.geralt doesn't like it to be on that party. triss calmed him and says just to make the best of it. Geralt then also responses if she isn't using him as a tool.To my surprise she says "only in bed, geralt. only in bed" It was for me like what is going on here. Triss is alot friendlier and respond much nicer. No more blunt answers like "you and your tools" and no more commanding.Never liked triss then since that quest, because of the blunt answers and demanding tone. Now with the new behaviour i like triss more.A funny dialogue in that same quest is when you finally can talk with Leuvaarden. Leuvaarden offers you to help dealing with the salamandra.Geralt accept, saying also they will not be friends. Leuvaarden gives him some tasks. Geralt respond then at a sarcastic tone "yes sir, permission to commence mission sir"Just great, that sarcasm of geralt.

Some stuff that the kids say: "Do you want to play 'Finish off the sick guy'?""Let me guess- you're also my uncle and want to buy me a treat?"Geralt's sarcasm: (This is from Side Effects)Dandelion: "It's not fair. I shouldn't be in prison! I'm innocent!"Geralt:" Yes, it's only innocent people that get landed here."

The Professor, a little before his death, to Geralt: "So you CAN parry bolts in flight!"I absolutely loved the come back, the link to the Prologue this line made. It's links like this that make the difference between just a well-written game scenario and a masterfully written game-scenario *thumb up* =)There are others I can post that I was very amused at, or was impressed with but I can't think of any I loved as much as this one. You know, there has to be others I loved as much, but the first time you play it is when you get most impressed and for me the first time was already a few months ago :)A honorable second mention, I guess: Foltest speaking to Radovid at the beginning of Chapter V, can't remember the exact quotes, but he was using some pretty street-like, almost vulgar type of language, you would never normally expect to hear of kings in role-play games :p And right afterwards Geralt meets Dandelion who's already in the process of writing a ballad inspired by this meeting: Dandelion: "And then noble Foltest said to stern Radovid: Virtuos Radovid"Geralt: "He said - We need to put the fires out of this ******house, son" ;D

velkito said:
Dandelion: "And then noble Foltest said to stern Radovid: Virtuos Radovid"Geralt: "He said - We need to put the fires out of this ******house, son" ;D
Haha yes, my favourite relationship is probably the one between Dandelion and Geralt.@ The party in the New Narakort, Act III, after you choose which woman to send Alvin too;Geralt "you're full of shit, dandelion" :D

Top Bottom